1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Football Pioneer Sherman Howard: Today's Players Driven by $$$

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, May 30, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,487 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    Pro football pioneer says today's players driven by money

5/30/2011 10:03:14 AM

Sherman Howard, 86 was one of the first African-American NFL players. He said young players today seem to have little interest in learning about their elders, who played for meager salaries.

"They are not receptive to the older fellows," Howard told the Chicago Tribune. "They think finances is the main thing. The first thing they say is: 'How much did you make?' Well, that's not the point."

Howard played halfback for the Cleveland Browns and New York Yanks in the late 1940s and early '50s. He recalled opportunities he had as a young man to meet and hear the advice of older sports celebrities such as Paul Robeson, Joe Louis, Jackie Robinson and Jesse Owens.

"I don't think we ever asked Paul Robeson how much he made; we didn't ask Jesse Owens how much he made," Howard said.
  2. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Do you have sympathy for this type of view, Hos? Personally, I must confess that I don't. It strikes me as a variation on the same theme we often hear trotted out by older generations: "When I was young, we used to have to walk to school barefoot in the snow. 40 miles uphill, in both directions."

It's a bit much, in my opinion, to ask players to play strictly for the love of the game. There's a lot of money being made from the game. I think the players have every right to ask for their fair share (and it needn't reflect poorly on their love of the game). For me, the issue surrounds determining what, precisely, their fair share should be thought to be.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Why shouldnt they be? They have a short period of time to make their money. Nobody ever paid a dime to watch Jerry buffoon around on the sidelines.
  4. Fatty_VM

Fatty_VM New Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't go to school 7 years of higher education to work as an engineer for the love of the business.
  5. Hostile

118,487 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    As a self appointed Historian of the game, yes I do have sympathy for this man's opinion. It is a business, but without passion for the game you get Jemarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. You don't play for the paycheck.
  6. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

733 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I agree to a certain extent. But since owners have taken such a hard stance (not talking about whats going on now). The media is what it is and even the way some of us as fans contribute to the madness, it's no wonder many players feel the way they do.
  7. Hagman

Hagman Put Niland and Green in the ROH

1,272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From what I've read about a lot of the old time players, the game itself didn't pay enough to support them. Many had jobs in the offseason to pay the bills. Many would have been better off financially if they had spent those years building a career--not to mention the damage done to their bodies.

And if you don't have passion for what you do--regardless of what you make--then you just suck. Doctors who don't care about healing? Teachers who don't have a passion for their students education? Police who don't give a real crap about public safety? Salesmen who don't care about their company or customers? Please quit and make way for someone who does. You're just dragging down the human race.
  8. Hostile

118,487 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    I can't fathom playing a game with no knowledge of its History. There are players today who have never seen Jim Brown run. I consider that a tragedy. There's footage. Watch it. Read about the man and what he overcame. Realize what he left by retiring so young.

It's powerful. Never lose a chance to be moved, inspired, or driven by History.

What number will people remember more about Emmitt Smith, 18,355 yards or how much money he made in one season?
  9. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

733 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Again I agree but thats because I'm passionate about football. However I grew quite differently than a lot of these guys. Football is a job to many. We see it as a game.

It's the same in all walks of life. In my field of work guys start wanting to do it because of how it looks in movies and tv. Some get involved cuz it family business and some do it because they want to help people. The result is the same.
  10. Hostile

118,487 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    I can't fathom being a soldier without knowing something about Patton, Bradley, WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam among many topics.

I can't fathom being a Sailor without knowing about Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona, Nimitz, the Indianapolis, the Lexington, Midway, etc.

I can't fathom being a mechanic without knowing something about Carroll Shelby, Henry Ford, Jack Roush, etc.

I can't fathom being an architect without knowing something of Frank Lloyd Wright, and of the different architectural periods like Gothic, Victorian, etc.

If you don't have a passion for something why do it?
  11. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You don't have to know everything about your profession's history to have a passion for it. And I doubt the reason Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf bombed as NFL QBs was because they didn't know about the history of the game.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Purely on an analytical basis. Now I know that much of your feelings are rooted in a job description that doesn't touch upon the drain in your own emotions attached. The edge place upon your own person are great...and a kudo is given on that merit alone.

But that goes to the value of motivations behind things as well. In business, and all arenas that give quality to aspirations, those motives show themselves as time evolves as well. Take the genuine and base levels of support for participation to the root of all modern evils, money, and you end up with a dilute form of pleasure as to character as well.

This leads to prominent members on a team, leaving the real work to others. Or the 'rooks' being able to fall behind the excuse of merely being a depth consideration. That also could be seen as the reason, after about five years, and secure in monetary levels, Roy Williams was no longer any kind of difference maker at safety. What, he suddenly lost talent potentials well before old age caused that deterioration?

With considerations presently in litigation states with the PLAYERS. One merely has to view the media asking and running an entire program on whether or not a Star player should be asked who HE wanted to be the coach. Really?
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Poor example, as motivation of a completely self-centered player in a team sport doesn't approach a love and deep respect that comes in knowledge of great and struggled for pride. Just as love of the country overcomes many local and transferable prejudices as well..
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    You are completely on target here Hos, as prior to actual mobilizations, troops are given a S-2 briefing of just that, and it is in a view of your enemy that will be engaged.

As to leadership, Military History as a low level requirement at the Service Academies. Too bad lawyers don't have that element as to profession, other than findings at court!!

Oh, and for humor, if one reads five books upon history, he becomes an Ace!!
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
  16. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    I view in a different vantage. That which expands one's OWN parameters of value beyond himself, and into a truely group beneficial quality, makes sacrifice and elements to top group success and it's own sustainability great, and relevant.

How can one then justify, on Memorial Day, a wiling sacrifice of ALL aspect in personal vantage, in the giving up of life for a greater benefit, and yes, need as well.

Elements on the sporting field, drive elements when at war.
  17. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  18. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,297 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    [IMG]

amusing, though only slightly topic related,,, ;)
  19. Hostile

118,487 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    I said they had to know everything? No, I said know something about the History. Those guys failures are contributed to by their self absorption and lack of grasp.
  20. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,427 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Sadly, I believe very few people put their passion above the illusion of financial security and their lives are far emptier as a result.

I believe in the notion that if you can find your passion and pursue it with all you have and you'll never work a day in your life