1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For people that know how to read...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Mkyle, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Mkyle

Mkyle Benched

292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    just kidding, I know everyone here knows how to read (maybe)! :)

Anyway, I've been spending all this time, before the season starts, reading Dallas Cowboy books. I have read the Walt Garrison book, the Charlie Waters/Cliff Harris book, and the "North Dallas Forty" book, and I just finished the Thomas Henderson book, "Out of Control"...! Man, oh man, the things that he went through in his life with that Coke addiction...what a hell of a book! I never knew where he went when he was done with the Boyz...I never knew he went to the 49'ers, the the Oilers, then Miami...then to prison (well I knew he went to prison, but I never knew just how bad he was)...

(by the way, after a game at Texas Stadium during the 70's I shook hands with Henderson and Too Tall while they were getting ready to board a bus...and I never ever made the connection until now...that they were boarding the bus togeather because they were roommates!)...(but, yeah, that is my claim to fame...I shook both their hands)! I'm badd now!!

Anyway, for you book readers out there...do you have any suggestions on which good Boyz book I should read next?

For those of you that know me, I love the Dallas Cowboys, however, I never did read up on things about them...and now I have a better understanding and even more love for them!

Any suggestions?

Mkyle

P.S. Is there a Quincy Carter novel out yet? (just kidding)(I should have never mentiond that name)! :banghead:

P.P.S. For the Eagle fan...yeah, the Boyz are gonna "Bring it"...the question is, are you gonna be ready to accept it? Huh...!!
  2. Dawgs0916

Dawgs0916 Will the Thrill

2,194 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The Duane Thomas book is an excellent book, I loved it. I can't remember exactly what its called now, but its his autobiography and it is incredibly good IMO.
  3. Mkyle

Mkyle Benched

292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll try and Google it... and get it! Thanks....

I know he never spoke to his teammates, because his was mad at his contract, but, what else about the book did you like?
  4. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, the first book I purchased when I unintentionally jumped on the bandwagon two years ago was Pete Golenbock's "Cowboys Have Always Been My Heroes - The Definite Oral History of the Dallas Cowboys", based on mega interviews with every Cowboys notable or connectable from Cornell Green to Pete Gent. It's massive, but a great read. It's really more a series of vignettes than a linear work, but it most certainly qualifies to sit on the 'history' shelves of any public or university library.

For more recent work, I highly recommend the Shropshire book that Mike wrote on the 03 season "When the Tuna Went Down to Dallas - How Bill Parcells Led the Cowboys Back to the Promised Land", which turned out to be a bit of a premature title.

I was a bit disappointed with it when it first came out last September, expecting to see a day-to-day account of the season we had just witnessed, with new light shed on various Parcells decisions (for example, why he went with Q over H).

But Mike hadn't had much more access to Bill than we did. So it flunked the "insider" test.

However, Shropshire is very literate, and synthesized a fair amount of history, social commentary, and opinion into his review of 2003. It is well worth the read. Tho I took issue with some of his perspectives, this man can write.

A book that got mentioned just a few days ago gives a fine-tuned glance at a 'down' period in one Cowboys history, and that is the book Paul Zimmerman wrote with Duane Thomas, published in 88, pre JJs, pre-Triplets, "Duane Thomas and the Fall of America's Team", a revisting of Thomas' too brief career that also sheds some light on the social change of the time, putting Thomas' story in a more historical context.

I also recommend a chapter in Mike Freeman's "Bloody Sundays - Inside the Dazzling, Rough-and Tumble world of the NFL" on Emmitt Smith. Freeman is a controversial sportswriter not devoid of talent. He seldom engages in build ups, so his take on Smith's courage (because for Freeman, and I agree, courage was the most essential Smith quality enabling him to break Payton's record ) reads authentic. He calls Emmitt 'an armoured tank' in this chapter, and oddly, that commonplace metaphor leaves you with goose bumps.

If you're into off the beaten path bios, take a look at Lance Rentzel's "When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow". I first read it for a sixth grade book report, prompting my teacher (a nun, lol) to send a note home chastising my parents for letting me read "inappropriate material", but I took a look at it again a few years back and was impressed by the man's pre Jerry Springer days confessional spirit. Rentzel (and/or his ghost) managed to discuss his fall with the 'right' degree of reticence, and what could have been a sensationalist or pathos-ridden book ended up a memoir on the nature of regret. All the more surprising as it was written shortly after his disgrace.

Long-time Boys fans can surely give you a more extensive list (and if you ever want to go down the Tuna bio lane, I'm your review-gal), but the above are all worth the time.
  5. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    sic. That's "When the Tuna Went Down to Texas"
  6. scottyb

scottyb New Member

20 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A very good book is "landry, the legend and legacy by Bob St. John.
  7. Mkyle

Mkyle Benched

292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A book that got mentioned just a few days ago gives a fine-tuned glance at a 'down' period in one Cowboys history, and that is the book Paul Zimmerman wrote with Duane Thomas, published in 88, pre JJs, pre-Triplets, "Duane Thomas and the Fall of America's Team", a revisting of Thomas' too brief career that also sheds some light on the social change of the time, putting Thomas' story in a more historical context.

Muchas gracious, Seniorta! Thanks, Madam...! It's looks like I have some more reading to do! :)

This is good!! ONE BOOK AT A TIME...ONE BOOK AT A TIME...ONE BOOK AT A TIME....(where will I get the money...) ?

love
    Mkyle
  8. Mkyle

Mkyle Benched

292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hostile...please send me some money!

JackRusell...I learned to read when you learned to lick yourself! (bad dog)!

I can't get an Iceberg...and DTM...hates me! And, all you others...I know are thinking...*** is Mkyle talking about!

I need to read books...!!!!!!!!! I need to play guitar????????????

And you know what? It's all GOOD! ... How come nobody talks to me? How come nobody responds to MY posts? But, it's all good, bros/bras...

I GUARANTEE...the DALLAS COWBOYS are coming home! If I'm LYING, I'm DYING! ... FOOLISH ME!!

P.S To the Eagle fan...it's coming, the Boyz are gonna "Bring It"...get prepared! You had your chance! FOOL!
  9. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey I replied, and my post was zapped. [IMG]Now I'm afraid a mod might drop in. [IMG]
  10. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Emmitt's & Tony Dorsett's books were good reading for true Cowboys fans...
  11. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The Rentzel book was pretty heavy...I think it was called "WHen all the laughter died.." or something like that.

The Landry books are all pretty good...

And I loved "Turning the thing around" by Jimmy Johnson.
  12. Carl23

Carl23 Member

287 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    The book by "Hollywood" Henderson was an incredible read for those that remember the Landry days...

HC
  13. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    How can I after the last time when all you did was spend it on ugly women and Wild Irish Rose?

Your taste is all in your mouth Mkyle.

Except with regards to guitar and books. Cowboys Have Always Been My Heroes by Peter Golenbock. Takes you through the genesis of the franchise better than any book ever will. Full of great stories.
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Roger Staubach's "Time Enough to Win"

David
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received

bingo