1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For what it's worth: Could the Bucs make a trade for Cowboys’ Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I.don't know about the Giants, but he played one play in the previous game IIRC.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,834 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    Why does this keep coming up? We're getting a comp pick for the guy that'll be in the same neighborhood of anything we'd get in a trade (though a year later), and we need the guy. Our secondary has been a shining beacon in this dismal start to a season; why would we try to dismantle it now?
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Why do you assume we will get a comp pick? It is not that simple. Actually chances are slim for getting the pick under the guidelines.
  4. Idgit

31,834 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    Because Jenkins is a starting-quality player and I'm fairly sure he's going to get a substantial contract in a league obsessed with passing defense.

Regardless, I still wouldn't rob the secondary of a quality player mid-season in order to get a mid-round pick.
  5. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Jenkins is so much more valuable to this team than a 4th rounder. End of discussion. Throw a 3rd and 5th out there I might consider it.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    My problem with that is there's no guarantee. He could get injured or go to jail or retire and never play again, or we could go ahead and sign a ton of big free agents-nullifying any comp pick we would get.

I think if someone offers you a good deal, you take the sure thing
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    On a side not... How about Scandrick this year? Not bad so far.
  8. Idgit

31,834 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    Unless, of course, you're still expecting to win this season. I suspect we might be on different sides of that question at this point.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,771 Likes Received

Jenkins played 26 of 60 snaps against the Giants.

Jenkins + a 6th for their 2nd
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Well you're not really thinking realistic though. The season isn't over. The odds are against us yea but all of these teams separate each other from 1, 2 or 3 games. Its HARDLY over. Now I know no one wants to be hurt and its easier to be a debbie downer but in reality the Cowboys aren't out of it and if they felt this team was a playoff team going into this season then they should feel that way now. If they win their games they are in. Jenkins gives us a better chance to win now.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think that plays a large part in the debate. If you are still delusional enough to expect the Cowboys in the Super Bowl, you want to keep him. It is a gamble and the result will be another first round pick walking away with nothing to show for it. It comes a time when emotions have to be put aside and the long term plans for the team have to be considered. Keeping Jenkins and Felix will end up being a mistake much like turning down trade offers for Choice and Marty B.
  12. rocyaice

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Yea i've noticed no one is speaking on Scandrick. He's always gotten a unfair shake here. He's rarely been dominated in his role and if Welker and Cruz are the best two receivers in the slot? Scandrick deserves credit for having good games against them. I guess I take the silence towards Scandrick as him having a good season lol. He's definitely been good but i'm of the belief he's been good most of his stay here.
  13. rocyaice

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    A 4th round pick is worthless in regards to what Jenkins brings to the table. You may feel they are out of the race but realistically they aren't. And its not about getting in a Super Bowl at this point. Its about getting into the post season.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Since he has starter talent, you shouldn't take a 4th? What is the team going to get at the end of the year? To your point about post-season play, the chances are slim and it doesn't matter to me if they get there and lose. The only goal should be a Super Bowl. This is not a Super Bowl quality team. That's it. All or nothing.
  15. rocyaice

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Giants weren't a Super Bowl team either last season and neither was the Packers before that. I just want to get there. Anything can happen there. As you see the 15-1 Packers didn't go very far last season.
  16. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    With our luck the minute we trade him one of the starters will go down with injury. We're jinxed. Last year we cut Tashard Choice, a month later Murray and Tanner both got hurt. We ended up suiting up and playing Sammie Morris. We trade Jenkins and I can see Frank Walker in our roster. :eek:
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    not trading felix and jenkins is simply shortsighted.

felix has no value but I would still find someone to take him for anything, even a 7.

Jenkins has value. Its crazy to think he doesnt. he should be moved for the best we can get no matter what it is.

Especially since both of them will end up hurt and on the sideline when we get past december and would want to rely on them anyway.
  18. Idgit

31,834 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    You're setting the over/under on whether or not a trade makes sense. As long as you think there's a chance for the post-season, you don't consider trading the guy. And, obviously, there's still a chance the Cowboys make the post season.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree. Anything can happen. It just doesn't happen to the Cowboys. They are not the type of team that comes together in a tough situation. They fall apart.
  20. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,749 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received

Tell that to the Rams and when Warner took over......see how they respond....It didn't happen for the Rams either for years...then, well you seen what happened.