1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Fox: Campo's gone, it's time for Cowboys to soar?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Campo's gone, it's time for Cowboys to soar?
    by Matt Mosley

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=643412&feedID=4680

Good times are here again, Cowboys fans. Coach Jason Garrett has made his first change at Valley Ranch.

Secondary coach Dave Campo has been told his contract won't be renewed, according to sources close to the situation. So step right up and renew those season tickets. The man most responsible for the Cowboys' late-season collapse is no longer a part of the organization. If you've pitched a tent as part of Occupy Valley Ranch, it's time to break camp.

I mean why would you hold someone like defensive coordinator Rob Ryan accountable when it's so easy to sacrifice a dutiful assistant such as Campo? No, this is what the Cowboys do during tough times. When it comes to scapegoats, they look for the low-hanging fruit, although Campo deserves a better description after serving the organization for nearly 20 years.

It's true that the secondary played a major role in the Cowboys' failures on defense, but it's unlikely that Campo was instructing veteran cornerback Terence Newman to turn himself into a human hurdle against the New York Giants. The "firing" of Campo is what amounts to window-dressing during an offseason in which the Cowboys need to make massive changes to the foundation. Jones has hinted to more changes on the coaching staff, but don't expect anything major...
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
  3. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Campo was set to be relieved of his DB coach duties before 2011 if they could find the right man. So while it sounds really good from a sarcasm standpoint the fact is that Campo was already endangered before the season began. He's not a 2011 scapegoat.

And while Rob Ryan has not won me over at this point it's not really ignoring a problem to give the guy an offseason and SOME talent upgrade before holding him accountable with is job.

Me thinks Matt just needed something to gripe about. Pick something legit.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Matt's probably mad that one of his best sources is gone.:D
  5. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,948 Messages
    1,091 Likes Received
    Matt sure does sound bitter. Oh well. I personally could care less. I agree with ya CoCo!