1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Fox: Cowboys stocked with stars, lack role players

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,604 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Cowboys stocked with stars, lack role players
    By Keith Whitmire

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...g_cowboys.html?blockID=638668&feedID=4679

There's a way to fix the Cowboys that doesn't involve trading a star player or signing a bunch of high-priced free agents. It's simple really.

Go get some guys.

By "guys" we mean football players. The kind that are the bedrock of championship teams.

The Cowboys already have the stars you need to make a title run. Ware, Romo, Bryant, Austin, etc. …

What the Cowboys sorely lack are football guys — players who aren't necessarily big names but can play the game smartly, innately.

Assembling a group of "guys" seems like a simple concept, but it's actually the hardest thing to do in the NFL because it requires a sixth sense about players....
  2. Givincer

Givincer Active Member

1,805 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Hm.. Do we need "role" players or an offensive line.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,800 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Yet again the media over rates the talent on the roster. Mediocre to weak 10-53.
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    It was Sean Payton that urged Parcells to bring in Romo. Parcells didn't even know who he was. I do agree with the writer on having smart, instinctive football players. That is what I want in the draft and I think Garrett and the scouting dept. can found those type of players.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,034 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    Akin is a JAG. Who cares if he starts for the Dullphins?
  6. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Just wondering why you think that? We need blue collar players, they haven't seem to be able to find many of those as of late.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    of course BP did not know who Romo was. Remember where he went to school?

I give BP props for keeping Romo when Jerruh was in his Q, Hutch, Henson love triangle.
  8. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    "We need more dogs"
  9. Brian_C82

Brian_C82 Member

466 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the only reason Payton knew about Romo was because they both went to Eastern Illinois. Mike Shanahan (another EIU alum) was also interested in Romo.
  10. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Good point. I'm not a huge Parcells fan, but this is a valid kudo for him.
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,604 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Bill did have a good eye for a JAG that actually could make a contribution and add to team focus areas.
  12. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo - Star
    Ware - Star
    Lee - Star
    Witten - Star

We have some players with star potential like Dez, Tyron, Murray, Jenkins, and Austin, but we only have 4 stars. Try again media.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,125 Messages
    1,760 Likes Received
    "stars" who play small under the bright lights are not really "stars" at all
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,647 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    Romo
    Witten
    Austin
    Dez
    Lee
    Ware
    ...and Tyron is close

I'd consider all of them stars. There is hardly another team on the league with six guys to match them imo.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,173 Messages
    2,759 Likes Received
    I really could not stop laughing when I read that. All I could think of was Barbie.
  16. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,604 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Lol, occassionally sons of his 'boys let him down.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    but you can't argue that he sure made a play AGAINST us this year while playing for the opposite team

choosing sons of former NFL players usually works; but in this case BP threw snake eyes
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,604 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Another Billism. But to Carp's credit, he stuck around to possible gain a role with a resurging Seattle team. Go figure...
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,416 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    I think it's the other way around, actually. Tons of JAGs, not enough guys with good to great talent.
  20. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,696 Messages
    536 Likes Received

Yes, I been saying this. We need to smart players, not the big names, or even the fastest, strongest best athlete type. Just some smart players who WANT to play. Who are in fear of their roster spots from year to year. So play hard and SMART to keep it that way.

Watching the playoff games yesterday, those teams [yes playoffs are different they say, but a player plays football, as Romo would say] they played with fire and intensity and like they wanted to be there.

I haven't seen too many Cowboys play that way the past 2 years. It's like they are just there, on AMERICA's TEAM, to look good.
    But haven't lived up to it. No wonder other teams and ESPN wants to take that title away.