1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FoxSports: McKenzie Still Wants Out

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, May 18, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,097 Messages
    3,085 Likes Received
    McKenzie still working on Green Bay escape
    Print story AIM story Email story
    ARNIE STAPLETON / Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hour ago

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Cornerback Mike McKenzie has hired a new agent to help secure a trade from the Green Bay Packers.

Drew Rosenhaus told The Associated Press that McKenzie hired him Monday, and he received permission from the Packers that same day to speak with other teams about a trade.
    Green Bay is seeking a first-round draft pick and a lower-round selection or a player in exchange for McKenzie, Rosenhaus said Tuesday from his office in Miami Beach, Fla.

The Packers didn't immediately return phone messages from the AP seeking comment.

Rosenhaus said he plans to attend the owners' meetings next week in Florida where he'll shop the cornerback, who has boycotted all of Green Bay's offseason workouts and post-draft minicamp.

"My goal is to work out a trade that's good for Mike and a team that needs a premier cornerback and also the Packers, one that's good for all three parties," Rosenhaus said.

McKenzie had been without representation since Memphis-based agent Brian Parker terminated his working relationship with him May 3.

Rosenhaus is McKenzie's fifth representative in his six-year NFL career, although some worked for the same agency.

McKenzie hired Parker last year and instructed him to seek a contract renegotiation in February, converting a $200,000 workout bonus into two $100,000 roster bonuses due in April and June and removing a de-escalator clause from the five-year $17.1 million deal he signed in 2002.

As the Packers worked to comply with the request, McKenzie said he wanted to be traded instead. Green Bay denied his plea for a trade on April 6 but allowed Parker to seek a draft-day deal. None panned out.

McKenzie has little leverage. If he sits out the 2004 season, he'd still owe the Packers three years of service. The Packers could wipe away his $2.75 million salary in 2004, but they'd be without their top defender in a season of high hopes.

The Packers, who used their top two picks in the draft last month on cornerbacks, taking Ahmad Carroll in the first round and Joey Thomas in the second, have said they hope McKenzie comes around and reports to their June minicamp.

Asked if anything had changed with McKenzie's stance and whether there was any hope to repair his rift with the Packers, Rosenhaus said: "My job right now is I have permission to work on a trade. I'm not interested in (discussing) Mike's situation with the Packers beyond that."
  2. Clay_Allison

Clay_Allison New Member

408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First rounder? how about a photocopy of my ***?
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,739 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    You "crack" me up.
  4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am taking my ball and going home what you own my arse for 3 more years after this year??? :(

I bet he comes back at the end of preseason and the worse case scenario I seeis the 4th game of the year because like Randall Godfrey did to get a good year in.

I doubt he leaves 2.7 million on the table

No way anyone trades for him 2 picks including a 1st plus a new contract yea right
  5. BadMeetsEvil

BadMeetsEvil New Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On the light background .. this is really hard to read.
  6. DaBoyz73

DaBoyz73 Member

410 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Green Bay is seeking a first-round draft pick and a lower-round selection or a player in exchange for McKenzie

Are they crazy?
  7. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,865 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    THank God I don't think Bill has any interest here. Am I wrong or when I saw this guy did I think he was average at best?
  8. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    >>>Drew Rosenhaus told The Associated Press that McKenzie hired him Monday, and he received permission from the Packers that same day to speak with other teams about a trade. Green Bay is seeking a first-round draft pick and a lower-round selection or a player in exchange for McKenzie, Rosenhaus said Tuesday from his office in Miami Beach, Fla.<<<

from GB---Mike Sherman picks up phone...dials up Valley Ranch on speed dialer....ring ring

at VR---hello, this is Bill

GB---Bill, Mike Sherman...I'd like to trade you Mike "predator" McKenzie

Bill--ok Mike, well what do you have in mind

Mike---well Bill I feel that you giving us your 1st rd and...

Bill at VR---click

Mike in GB, with confused look on his face...what happened? why'd he hang up?

David
  9. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Why wouldn't they? They have all the leverage. McKenzie doesn't have a leg to stand on.
  10. DaBoyz73

DaBoyz73 Member

410 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You are right. But I would not trade a first and a lower round pick for McKenzie.
  11. jumanji

jumanji Member

678 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    provided we sign gildon
  12. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I say keep the first round pick and draft a corner...everyone knows that we are really gearing up for 2005 anyway. :rolleyes:
  13. Shuttemdown41

Shuttemdown41 Member

802 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually they don't have ALL the leverage. Where McKenzie is concerned the ball is definitely in the Packers court as they have final say on whether his trade demands are met or not. But to say GB has all the leverage means that the other 31 NFL teams are all willing to bend over and let GB have their way with them. It takes another team to trade him to for it to come about and I doubt there are more than a handful of teams willing to part with the compensation GB is supposedly asking for (1st rounder plus later pick/additional player). Now a contending team whose draft pick doesn't figure to be that high anyway might take a stab at him (Philly comes to mind) or a team like the Saints who could seriously use the corner help might cough up what it takes but I doubt the lines in GB are burning up with teams willing to part with a first for McKenzie.

McKenzie may not have a leg to stand on, but the other 31 teams certainly do. I'd be surprised if GB's demands were met but I've see crazier things happen.
  14. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lets offer our second. they cant just come outright and say we'll trade him for a second, otherwise people would only offer their third.
  15. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i would give a 3rd but probably not a 2nd and hell no with a 1st. i'm interested although worried about hunter and what he can bring. if parcells has confidence in him then so do i.

[IMG]
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    GB has all the leverage in the sense that they can tell McKenzie to play or pay us back your signing bonus and never play again. I think they are prepared to do that after drafting Carroll and Thomas. And I think that is the approach they should take. It might be one thing if he way outplayed the deal or was in the final year, but he has three years left. I talked to a GB fan and he said Ahman Green's contract is very similar and Green basically said McKenzie should show up and play the deal he signed.

As far as trading, I really think they are prepared to move on without him. So, they really could ask for the sun and the moon. If they get it, let him go. If not, let him sit and be poor and make an example of him.
  17. Shuttemdown41

Shuttemdown41 Member

802 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ASKING for the sun and the moon and actually GETTING the sun and the moon are a bit far apart aren't they? ;) Like I said, they have all the leverage with the player, but they don't with the rest of the league.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They have the ability to turn down any trade they want.

Not that they would turn down a 1st and a 3rd etc but they have the ability to.

GB is holding all the cards
  19. T-New41

T-New41 Shut 'em Down

2,227 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'd offer a 2nd and a 5th for Mike. I doubt GB goes for it. But, if no one else offers anything, getting a 2 and a 5 is better than nothing.
  20. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,847 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I'm not interested in giving up our 1st rounder, much less a 1st PLUS another pick or player. Bad deal.