1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Frank Pollack O-line

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jblaze2004, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,913 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    he spent 5 years with the texans 2007-2011. Did we switch to a full zone blocking scheme? if so this maybe the reason doug free at guard. You can get by with smaller guys at guard. Also David Arkin looking pretty good at guard.

Did we make the full switch yet?
  2. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    pretty much, but Arkin hasn't shown to be much more than a backup in my opinion. Pollack could be worth a look but I haven't seen much of him the last 2 or 3 years.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Pollack is essentially the OL coach for the Cowboys. He's listed as the assistant OL coach. I've even heard Callahan refer to Pollack as the OL coach in a interview.
    AmishCowboy likes this.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,393 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    I think we're probably happy with our interior depth. If we sign anyone it'll probably be a vet OT. It looks like we're gonna go with Smith-Leary-Frederick-Free-Parnell. It also looks like we have no confidence in Arkin and we're trying to make Bernadeau our primary backup at both OG spots and probably even OC. I see us cutting a few guys. I doubt we add anyone.

These guys definitely make the roster: Smith, Free, Parnell, Leary, Frederick, Bernadeau.

Everyone else is on the bubble. I predict 7-9 OLmen make the team.
  5. JoeyBoy718

4,393 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Oh I didn't really know who he was. I was thinking the OP was suggesting we sign this guy as a player. Yea, it looks like we've made the full switch to zone blocking.
  6. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    that explains it then, i thought he was saying to bring him in... and i didn't know he was the online assistant coach.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    That's what I thought. It was kind of a quiet signing when he was brought in.
  8. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    yeah, i didn't read or see it anywhere, he was a good player though
  9. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received

If they are happy with the current depth they need to be fired.
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Broaddus mentioned that Pollack was with the Texans and to look for players cut by the Texans as possibilities after cut day. Kind of like how we acquired Cook last year, after playing the Dolphins the last pre season game.
  11. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,681 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I was just think that if they go with Free at guard and Bernardeau is backing up the interior then why bother keeping Costa as Bernardeau can play center.
  12. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    in other OL news:
    Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 42m
    Among group of players running was Ronald Leary, who had scope Aug. 16. Could be sign he will b ready for Giants

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 44m
    All healthy Cowboys starters ran pregame sprints and will not play tonight. Only guy not spotted was Jermey Parnell, which is sign he plays

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 59m
    Just an observation, Ronald Leary is running well with the other offensive linemen. He will not play but don't see issues here.
    nake likes this.
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,268 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    good news on Leary!!
  14. JoeyBoy718

4,393 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Good news on Leary. And Parnell should play tonight. He needs the reps. If you ask me, Free should play the first half at RG too.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I don't think Free classifies as a "small guy". 6'6" 325 is pretty darn big for a guard.

From what I've heard, the line is now playing a zone scheme. Allow me to be "That Guy" for a moment and mention that for years I've been saying our primarily mano-y-mano blocking scheme was antiquated. We are one of the last teams in the NFL to begin heavily leaning on zone blocking principles and frankly, it's about damn time.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, we've been running those "pure" zone run plays more than I ever remember it before. And it looks great.

I'll say it again, one flaw of Garrett as OC IMO was that he wanted an offense that could do a little bit of everything and be good at it. Sounds good in theory, but when you do that you almost always end up being mediocre at everything. Better to have an identity by focusing on fewer things and doing them very, very well.
  17. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Pollack worked with Callahan at Northern Arizona University...