1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free Agent Targets: OG

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

431 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Agree. But it seems like the team's OL budget and personnel planning could use a tent pole player inside. We don't carry a single large contract on the line for a blue chip player. Tyron will get there in a couple years, but currently they're all pretty bargain bin.
  2. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,509 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    He actually wasn't the worst center in the league last year, so I don't know where you're getting that from.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    He qas one of them. He was ranked by some as the worse. I think his best ranking was 28th. Sorry but Costa sucks and everyone wanted him gone. Then he missed 15 games this year and people want him back. Why, why not find someone better.
  4. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Cap reasons, I guess people don't understand the cap. You do understand that when you sign a player its over several years and you can structure the contracts any way you want. We can sign several players to big deals, and pay them big signing bonus and their cap hit this year will be low and back load the contract.
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,228 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    But you can't do that at every position. Yes you could field an entirely new OL and then what about DL and S
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,748 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    Vasquez is a guy I wanted us to draft coming out of Tech, especially considering where he went in the draft. But it was 2009, and we were in love with Robert Brewster instead.

I don't think he'll get away from the Chargers, he's one of their best linemen.
  7. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Yes you can, that's how you set contracts. Now some players are going to be lower than others but every free agent we sign this year will not count much on next years cap. Your first year salary is always low because the singing bonus.

Also look up the free agents for OL and safety. Not really any big names there and the salary cap will not stop Jerry from making this team better. You can structure contracts any way you want.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,000 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Chance Warmack please at #18...
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    your way leads to CAP HELL.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,054 Messages
    3,743 Likes Received
    Brandon Moore (Jets)
    Played 4 years for Callahan (assuming that Callahan is staying)
    Played RG in Callahan's system which would put a veteran RG next to a young RT like Parnell.
    Age 32 - Get a year or two out an expert in Callahan's system, while draft pick(s) are developing.
    Pro Bowl 2011
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,906 Messages
    3,976 Likes Received
    I don't expect much changes. This team has burned their salary cap with dumb contract after dumb contract. If we wanted Andy Levitre we should have drafted him instead of trading back with Buffalo in 09 to draft Robert Brewster.
  12. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....more of the same with Al Jr. who always has considered himself the smartest guy in the room: maybe in the oil and gas industry, but NOT the NFL. History shows he's about the 31st smartest amongst GM's.:bang2:
  13. dwight

dwight Active Member

882 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    You mean the 32nd smartest GM in the league.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,906 Messages
    3,976 Likes Received
    There were so many players available for us to draft in the 1st and 2nd round. They could write books about how stupid that draft was and how it set this organization back 2-3 years.
  15. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Dallas cap situation is fine after this year. They are, as of not almost 25 million under the cap for 2014 and 35 million in 2015.

If we want Levitre we can give him a big signing bonus and then keep his salary low for this year and big the next two years. You need to understand teams can structure contracts to work in their interest.
  16. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,269 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I'm guessing that we'll have three changes along the line fro what we saw for most of this year, two of which may be significant. I think Parnell will prove to be a significant upgrade from Free. I'd expect a RG in FA or the draft that should be an upgrade from Bernadeau. One of Costa or Killa would be an upgrade over Cook, who was a soldier but playing way out of position as about the 4th option at center this year. How much of an upgrade at center?...I'm going to choose to be optimistic here since I just don't expect anyone else being brought in.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,748 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I agree as far as not expecting a lot of changes either. I think a lot of this year will just be evaluation and figuring out the cap situation. I do think they cut Free, but I don't think they are going to draft a RT they feel comfortable starting opening day and we can't really afford a good one in FA.
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,906 Messages
    3,976 Likes Received
    Where are you getting these numbers? Aren't you assuming a lot to get these numbers? We also will need to reup a few key young pieces the next few years. also romo is going to require a big payday as well if we decide to go that route.
  19. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Spotrac.com

Also we can sign players and structure players contract how ever you meed too. What part about tjat does people not understand. Also we will be releasing other players.

That's how the cap works. Look at any player we sign. You do know how the cap and contracts work right.

We can sign Levitre to a 6 year 41 million contract with a 10 million signing bonus and 25 guaranteed.
    First year salary can be 1 million and the signing bonus is prorated over 5 years. So in 2013 Levitre will only be a 3 million cap hit. In 2014 we will know our cap situation and can make his salary 4 million amd his cap hit will be 6 million. In 2015 we can make it 4 million salary again and be a 6 million cap hit. In 2016 his salary can be 6 million and will count 8 million against the cap. 2018 can be 7 Million salary and be 9 million against the cap. 2019 will be 9 million salary but no signing bonus proration. Now after 2016y all his guaranteed money is paid and can be cut in 2017 and only be a 4 million cap cut.
    That's how contracts are dont in the NFL.

We can make room where we have 3 million on the cap.
  20. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,357 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    I was also looking at Moore and Slauson.

Smith - Slauson - Rookie - Moore - Parnell/Rookie