1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Friday afternoon "Mock-tail" hour

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Wimbo, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Ok, it's a little early for happy hour, but it's 5:00 somewhere.

Bored at work, so here is a shot at it (no trades).

1 (14) Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - High time we address this position once and for all. Big hole filled for the long run. Plenty of discussion about him going on already.

2. (45) Vinny Curry, OLB/DE, Marshall - Great versatility for Rob Ryan to work with. Quick enough to play 3-4 OLB, and big enough to put his hand on the ground in 4 man defensive fronts.

3. (81) Philip Blake, C, Baylor - Something of a reach here. However, sometimes you have to take "your guy" a round early to make sure you get him. With Konz and Jones off the board by now, Cowboys pull the trigger early (or trade back & still get him, but I am not doing trades in this mock).

4. (113) Jamel Fleming, CB, Oklahoma - Cowboys need depth at CB, and Jamel is a solid DB. Good ball skills (WR in high school), but needs to develop technique.

4. (135) Kheeston Randall, DE/DT, Texas - 6'5" 301# rotational lineman. Not an elite player (4th round) but a excellent character/leadership guy. Mainly used to occupy blockers at Texas, he could be decent at pressuring the QB if given a chance. Good agility for his size.

5. (152) Nick Foles, QB, Arizona - Prototypical sized QB with strong arm and above average awareness. Will need time to develop, and will not be expected to contribute for a couple of years.

6. (186) Rhett Ellison, TE, USC - Versatile player, with experience at both TE and FB. Good special teams guy (necessary, if your are 2nd or 3rd TE). Watching his highlights, he looks similar to Jason Witten, IMO. Not saying he is that good, just that he seems to find the soft spot in the zone & catches with soft hands.

7. (222) Chris Owusu, WR/KR, Stanford - Injury (concussion) ended his last season, but he has been medically cleared to play. Super fast (4.31). Averaged 28 yards per Kick Return with 3 TD's in 78 attempts. Has battled injuries, but when healthy he is definitely a big threat when he has the ball.

IMO, this draft would yield starters at Safety and Center, as well as Kick Returner. Rotation players at DE and OLB that get a lot of game reps. 4th CB. 2nd or 3rd TE who is also a backup FB. 4th WR. And, a developmental QB.

UFA list:
    Nicolas Jean-Baptiste - NT
    Johnny Thomas - FS
    Don Barclay - OG
    Ryan Van Bergen - DE
    Jerry Franklin - ILB
    Greg McCoy - CB
    Joe Banyard - RB
    Bradley Sowell - OT
  2. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I'd love that draft
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,833 Messages
    2,198 Likes Received
    Wouldn't complain about this one at all.
  4. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,085 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    I would be ecstatic if it worked out like that.
  5. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Best mock yet. Havent seen Curry in one of these in a while..
  6. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He doesn't have Ware's speed, but he does have his size & strength.
  7. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    change the 3rd and 5th rounders
  8. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

679 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Love it. Except Foles, Russell Wilson is the developemental guy I want.
  9. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,309 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I really like picks 1-4 that we be solid all alone!