1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSSW: Playing it safe: Garrett's timid coaching costs Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 17, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,086 Messages
    5,629 Likes Received
    Keith Whitmire
    October 16, 2011

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett made sure Tony Romo wouldn't lose the game against the Patriots. But he didn't let him win it, either.

Garrett's play-calling in the critical moments of Sunday's 20-16 loss to Patriots in Foxborough had all the earmarks of a coach playing not to lose.

The first critical moment came with about six minutes to go in a tie game and the Cowboys looking at first and goal at the 10.

Read the rest: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/1...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=583448&feedID=9348
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've become a big fan of Garrett as a Head Coach, but I still hate his play calling in crucial situations. I was with my wife, a big Pats fan BTW, and was calling plays in crucial situations...I went 6 for 7.

It's a problem when a pissed off, emotional fan that's had 4 or 5 beers can call plays that accurately. I imagine Belichik has far less difficulty diagnosing the situation.
  3. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    The cheerleader pictures cheered me up;)
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,710 Messages
    1,530 Likes Received
    I think it was a complete overreaction to doing the wrong thing with a big lead against Detroit.

Garrett obviously realized he didn't play conservative enough two weeks ago when he should have and he overcompensated for it in this game.

He did the same thing a season or two ago when he was highly criticized for not running the ball.

He came back the next week and ran it a big number of times in an effort to compensate.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was inept tuck-your-tail play-calling by Garrett. We are watching the growing pains of a young headcoach. Hopefully, if Garrett is as smart as we think he is he'll grow from these losses.
  6. stasheroo

17,710 Messages
    1,530 Likes Received
    Yeah, but how many of these losses is it gonna take until that happens?
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who knows really. I would think he would be smart enough to have avoided the type of mistakes made in these last two losses in the first place.
  8. stasheroo

17,710 Messages
    1,530 Likes Received
    I would too.

There's so much to like in the way he's running things, but these few issues have really cost us recently.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Yeah but the difference is we were up by 24 in that game. We were only up by three with 5 minutes to go in this game. Against a team that has won 30 in a row at home and the best QB in nfl. He's the dumbest smart guy I know!
  10. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And his agressive play calling cost us the game last week.

Come on guys, is it always on Garrett's play calling when we lose?

Lest anyone think I'm purely a Garrett apologist, I personally agree that the play calling was too conservative against NE, but you can't one week say he should have known Romo was prone to mistakes and taken more steps to limit those mistakes, then the next week say he shouldn't have played it so safe.

One thing we all have to admit, if we are fair, is that the game plan as it was allowed us to compete with, and have a chance to defeat a team many felt we could not defeat. In the end, while I believe we should have been at least somewhat more agressive with our play calling, Garrett's game plan did put us in a position to win.
  11. stasheroo

17,710 Messages
    1,530 Likes Received
    Lest anyone think I'm purely a Garrett apologist, I personally agree that the play calling was too conservative against NE, but you can't one week say he should have known Romo was prone to mistakes and taken more steps to limit those mistakes, then the next week say he shouldn't have played it so safe.[/quote]

Why?

Is a 17-point lead against Stafford and the Detroit Lions equal to a 3-point lead against Tom Brady and the Patriots? It's not in my book.

We put up 16 points against the league's worst ranked defensive unit while our defense held their offensive juggernaut to 20 points.

That sums things up succinctly for me.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,236 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    The Cowboys put themselves to in a position to be conservative with their lack of execution. Does anyone really have a problem with running it on 1st down in that situation? Unfortunately, they not only failed to gain yards, but lost yardage on the play. Now, second down you could probably question if they should have stuck to the run or tried a pass. I don't know if there is a great answer there. Anyway, they lost yardage again with a 2nd down run.

I think Murrary has something to learn from those runs. He tried to bounce both of those runs and lost yardage. There may not have been a hole there, but if he just runs the play where it is designed to go he at least does not lose yards. No gains are better than lost yardage. Whatever the case, that put them in 3rd and long, which calls for a conservative call in that situation. I think they were going to pass the ball, but Tyron moved and Dallas got into 3rd and longer. They had no choice, but to run it there.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two entirely different scenerios, situations and circumstances. Why can't you think Garrett should have made better game-calling decisions for each game?

There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to every game. Coaches have to adapt to their present set of circumstances and game situations. Garrett even admitted as much about the Lions game saying he should have ran the ball more.

Garrett has likely learned some hard lessons these past two weeks, hopefully he moves past it successfully going forward in similiar situations.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Awesome! Same here, he got me on the 3rd down shuffle however.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Granted, no one size fits all. Nevertheless, in both cases what we had done up to a point had put us in a good position in each game, and in one we were agressive, and one we weren't. Either Romo can be trusted to be a smart QB or he can't, and if he can't be trusted then an INT in a close game like NE is going to be more costly than an INT with a 24 point lead. Just one INT can kill you in the close game, and Garrett was probably protecting against that, whereas there would be no way Garrett could anticipate 3 like in the Lions game.

That said, of course I agree we could have done things differently in both games. Clearly hindsight tells us that, but even as we played Sunday I thought we were a bit too conservative througout. Still, Garrett did call a game that put us in a good position to win both times, and many say things failed in one because Garrett didn't protect Romo from himself, and in the other because he did.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In regards to yesterday's game, I'm not sure he called a great game all together. You have to remember our defense came up with three turnovers for our offense to take advantage of. All we could muster against a pretty mediocre/poor Patriots defense was 16 points (one touchdown, three FGs). Our defense came up with a stellar performance to put us in the game IMO, not Red's offensivee play-calling.
  17. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would agree he didn't call a great game. Like I said, I thought it was too conservative throughout. I don't think he called a horrible game, but I think our offense needed to contrbute more than it did.

I wondered a little as the game went on if the INT Romo threw in the 1st possession might have steered Garrett even more toward the conservative than he already planned on in this game. Coming on the heals of the INT's in the 2nd half of the last game it could have caused Garrett to hesitate a little with putting too much on Romo.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a good point.

I actually didn't see Romo's interception because I was busy trying to hookup to a internet feed to watch it on my laptop.

Was it just another poor throw, tipped, forced, or what?
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,900 Likes Received
    slant to Dez just a bit too far in front from the view I saw.
  20. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's the way it looked to me.