1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah making another change from safety to cornerback

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,851 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    Akwasi Owusu-Ansah making another change from safety to cornerback
    by Clarence Hill

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah was moved from safety to cornerback on the first day of training camp in the Cowboys continued quest to make something out of the 2010 fourth round pick.

Drafted as a safety out of tiny Indiana (Pa.), Owusu-Ansah had a slow transitionto the pro game. He played only seven games as a rookie and was used primarily as a kickoff returner.

He was cut in camp his second year when he struggled at safety. But he was signed to practice squad and moved to receiver. He played one game as a punt returner and kickoff returner in 2011 before being cut. He then signed with the Jacksonville Jaquars practice squad and moved back to safety...

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...from-safety-to-cornerback-.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,247 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    The guy needs to be put at safety and kept there, period. It's the only way he'll develop and the only place we could possibly need him if he develops. He's never had a true off season.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I've always felt CB is his best position due to his low football IQ. He needs to play a quick twitch read and react position rather than a more intellectual and instinctual position like safety.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,071 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    this...safety is about instincts more. Corner in a man to man scheme he can just learn to stick to his man. Get use to routes and etc. But idk I thought he should of stuck at cb when we drafted him and learned. All this position switching is hurting his development which could cause him a job if he doesn't wow us this year.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

6,262 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Rarely a good thing...is the guy a CB? A S? A WR? A KR? A PR?

Maybe he can punt? :D
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,751 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    He is not physical enough or instinctual enough to play safety. He may do well as a bump and run corner with his strength, speed and agility. He'll have less reads to make and less responsibility in run support where he struggled at safety. This move actually makes the most sense and hopefully he learned something from his time at safety and WR to help him become a better CB. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another year on the PS if still eligible to continue to work on his CB skills if he has a good TC/PS and is showing signs of picking up the position. I don't think he is ever going to be much of a PR/KR guy so he needs to make the team as a backup CB/ST player.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,021 Messages
    1,987 Likes Received
    They did claim when he was drafted that he had the athletic ability as good as CBs taken in the second round but this is a move that would have made better sense last year instead of the move to WR.
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

6,167 Messages
    3,367 Likes Received
    So are they trying to break the record for sucking at the most positions?
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    They claimed a lot of things back then that haven't exactly panned out. :laugh2:

I do hope he has some PS eligibility left cause I can't see him earning a roster spot.
  10. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

4,492 Messages
    2,254 Likes Received
    5th time's a charm, right?
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,553 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    This. Always felt he should have stayed at CB.
  12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess this will increase his trade value.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

6,167 Messages
    3,367 Likes Received
    Perhaps in the arena football league.
  14. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,571 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    :laugh1::laugh2:
  15. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

10,189 Messages
    1,269 Likes Received
    Trouble is I remember reading something about him not being a quick-twitch athlete. He has speed to burn, but not coming out of his cuts. He has to gather and run.
  16. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    From what I've seen, none of the above. Why we keep seeing articles on this no-talent bum is beyond me.
  17. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,546 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    Starting to remind me of Woodrow "Woody" Dantzler.

Woody will always have a spot in my heart due to his amazing kick return TD against the 49ers where he was literally hit/touched by 9 of the 11 players on the kicking team, as well as tiptoeing down the sideline. One of my all time favorite plays.

Woody was an all-ACC QB who broke records in college but never had a position in the NFL. He played KR/PR/CB/FS/and finally moved to RB, and temporarily played as an option QB for the Falcons where he ended his career.

He was athletic enough to keep hanging on, but never had a position.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

17,575 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    He got an interception today.