1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Bad year, not bad defense is what Cowboys are stressing

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, May 2, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Bad year, not bad defense is what Cowboys are stressing
    By Carlos Mendez

cmendez@star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys can't figure out what went wrong with their defense last year.

Except it couldn't have been the players.

Could it?

Their actions over the weekend during the three-day NFL Draft seem to say that's what they believe. The Cowboys drafted only an inside linebacker and a cornerback, their fewest defensive selections in a single draft since 1962, to help the unit that gave up the most points in franchise history.

"We thought this was a draft that was weighted more towards offense," vice president Stephen Jones said. "When we got finished looking at our board, we had a lot more offensive players than defensive players. As it turned out, when it came time for us to pick, it was more offense than defense."

Maybe the Cowboys are also counting on a change in coaching scenery. New defensive coordinator Rob Ryan inherits the group that underachieved for former head coach Wade Phillips...

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/01/3041321/bad-year-not-bad-defense-is-what.html#ixzz1LDSHCPXg
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    i dont get this, if you reach, people scream, if you dont take the sexy pick, people scream, so if dallas saw no value at their spots and took what they thought was worth it, THAN they believe in a unit thats PROVING its not good at its current state of affairs?

Could it also mean that the team knows it will have to address it when FA starts up? NOOOOOOOO it couldnt mean you'd hve to think OR possible research something.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    It certainly appears to be an odd situation at first glance.

The defense essentially implodes and to date, nobody is either able or willing to identify why. Was Wade Phillips & Co solely to blame and folks are just taking the high road? Odd that the same man who fixed the defense in 2009 wrecked it in 2010.

Not to mention, the coaches who presided over the defense's most underachieving unit (the secondary) are both brought back? Yet another mystery.

Add to it a minimal investment via the draft and this team must believe that the talent is there and that they have faith in Rob Ryan to coach it out of them.

I would have to say that I think that they'll make at least a moderate level of investment in free agency to add a piece or two and retain one or more free agents of their own.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    I think clearly the defense underachieved this past season compared to 09. We do have some areas that need to be addressed I think some of that can and will be done before the start of camp. I doubt all weakness can be addressed and this team will have to work hard as a team to overcome those areas. If I had to say what the most critical is it would be Safety
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    Agreed.

And that's where I think they will make the quickest and most expensive investment.
  6. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

i agree with you, but i think to much is invested in the draft and the hype of the draft. some people swear you have to do your team by the draft and some like myself say you need some parts and thats where FA comes in. Youth is great and you hear it all day long, but when the youth makes the mistake, the tune changes in a hurry.

A lot of coaches were to be blamed this year than over other season. I still irks me HH is still here, but i want nothing do with him or Maxie and Campo, but its Garretts call. HE sees and knows what i dont.

Im thinking and hoping Ryan can change and play with most of what we'll retain and use whats giving to him when its appropriate. I dont think the draft can always cure your wounds.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    As do I. I think most would concede that help along the defensive front was an area of need I think it is likely that Dallas will have to get Bowen and or Hatcher resigned and need to get more out of them I hope that is where Ryan skills as a coach comes into play.
  8. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    I think after seeing how that position has hurt us, it will be okay to be expesnive at that position, than start drafting smarter for that position.
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Don't forget that Houck also coached up Doug Free....
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Lissimore and Brent may be of use now also.
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Come on Jerry, you can do better than this. Guess he is trying to be a spin doctor, but that reasoning, goodness they were bad most of the year. :bang2:

We can't fill all of the holes on this team by the draft, so we will have to wait on free agency to hope we can fill some needs on D. It is kinda interesting that we were so bad on D yet we didn't really make a huge effort in the draft for it. Guess its all Murray's fault.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    I think the D melted down due to
    1. Predictable Scheme; Wade had some success and he typically coasts a little after that everywhere he has been.
    2. Soft Coaching; Wade's style but it also got worse (see above)
    3. Lack of something...heart? Still feels like the heart of the Defense retired with Woodson.

I fully expect Ryan to fix all the above and I dont think you'll see him or JG take their foot off the gas either.
  13. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    you're a person whos impressed when you get 100 dollars even it costed you 400?

Great, he brought up 1 and missed on Marten and a few others. Did he "coach" him up or did Free have enough talent that HH couldnt do more harm to him?

Careful how you mean it.
  14. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree that it was bad season not bad players...I do think our safeties need improving but over all alot of good talent on D......the whole team quit on Wade last season...I believe Garrett will get the offense ready and i also think that after Rob sinks his sneaker a foot deep into the behind of a few of them the defense will get it together as well....
  15. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh that's just silly.

Make no mistake about it, the biggist new-to-the-team FA signings are going to play defense.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Hmm. Even though Garrett supposedly changed the culture and fixed everything up last year, we still got worked by Rex Grossman and John Skelton.

Yeah, I'd say we need some players.
  17. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Careless kneejerks sometimes go askew. By that comparison, then what happened in Dallas in the offensive line would be crap hitting the fan, under Bill Parcells. He brought in an injured and former 'Parcells' player that spent a year and a half consistently on the DL. He picked a seventh rounder to protect his quarterback. Then drafted a USC tackle and LSU guard, that lasted almost a year apiece. He moved Gurode to guard, and shipped Larry Allen off. Maybe the ex-Green Bay guard who was injured from the time he arrived was the true feather then...yet, this is intended as a cruxifiction of Houck?

Try predictability of last year's offense causing troubles. With Marion Barber NOT being able to take the ball outside and defenses just stacking the Dallas iterior. Then put Colombo on the outside, and a runway to the QB....sure fire bet that was all upon Houck.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,764 Messages
    1,967 Likes Received
    I'll tell you what went wrong... We had a bunch of guys who straight up quit.
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Funny how a little agabe adds to the dish of a chef...
  20. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

Allen was done, plain and simple. Everyone knows Parcells was bad at OLine men, but other coaches did more with less than HH did with anything, plain and simple. When the rest of the league can perform and hold off your DL with less talent that says something, and it SCREAMED HH was done with the game and new guys need to come in with different train of thoughts and philosphies.

Houck is done and hes proven that and if you cant see it, than thats okay as well, but when i see other offensive lines get injured and the back ups dont miss a beat, i know our coach is over with.