1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Barry Church is back and plans to be as good as he was before his achilles...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

Church was taking first-team snaps Tuesday, with Allen and Matt Johnson rotating first-team snaps opposite Church.

"He was one of those free agents that everybody overlooked, and we brought him in here and he proved to us that he belonged on this football team as a special teams guy," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "His role has increased over his career where he said, 'Hey, I’m not just a special teams guy. I can play on defense. I’m not just a down safety. I can play on the back end.' You remember training camp last year: He came in and just won that job. We had some other guys competing for that, and he just stuck out like a sore thumb every day in practice. He was doing something to say, 'Hey, I’m the guy who needs to play safety for you.'

"It’s too bad he got hurt early on in the year. He’s the kind of guy that kind of grows and develops right before your eyes. So he was improving with every opportunity he got. He seems like he’s healthy. He’s been moving around great all throughout the offense, so excited to see him grow this offseason with the OTAs."

Church was fully cleared last week, and no one was happier about returning to practice than he was. He briefly doubted he would play again.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...od-as-he-was-before-tearing-his-achilles.html
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I'm super excited about Church this season. I think he works hard and is a very strong student of the game which will show up in games this year. He is a very confident guy and one you really want to root for. I am hoping he becomes our next great safety.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Church outcome is huge for Dallas. Looks like driven guy but that is bad injury for guy who wasn't fast to begin with. Dallas needs to get lucky twice with Church & Johnson health.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,437 Messages
    3,754 Likes Received
    Really says a lot about sports medicine and today’s rehab of these types of injuries. Years back a player with an Achilles injury normally meant the end of his career.
  5. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

121 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sorry folks, and I'm as hopeful as the next person, but I missed the part where this guy proved himself to be a quality NFL starting safety.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,843 Messages
    2,326 Likes Received
    this defense will be solid/elite at CB and LB
    the real question marks are on the DL and safety... this is why church is a key becasue JJ is likely a year away
    if those 2 positions come together, look out
  7. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    we'll see.

two words: Kevin Smith
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I'm waiting to see him in live game action... I hope he comes back better than ever though!
  9. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,226 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    He must've been a real force in training camp last yr.
  10. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

878 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Kevin Smith was okay after his achilles injury. It was his back that eventually ruined his career (not to mention the endless stream of passes thrown at him since Deion was on the other side.)
  11. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I missed it too.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,875 Messages
    7,597 Likes Received
    You probably blinked. He was only in about 3 games last season. But he was pretty good while he was in. Certainly starting-quality.
  13. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Depends on how bad the competition is at the position.

Phil Costa of safeties.
  14. Idgit

31,875 Messages
    7,597 Likes Received
    The Giants thought the same thing, and went right at him in the opener. He held up pretty well, didn't he?

The guy was the defensive talk of training camp last season for a reason. And the team's still speaking highly of him even early in OTAs. And look who they brought in to replace him after tearing his achilles. Face it, they like him a lot. Too bad he had a slow 40 time coming out of college, or more fans would like the guy as a solid NFL starter, too.
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    I never felt Smith was same player after that achilles injury. Because Smith had so much god given talent he was able to be serviceable after the injury. I don't think Church came in with same talent or skill set. Pulling for Church but I have major reservations about him being that player we saw in TC last year.
  16. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You just proved my point. Phil Costa was Nick Mangold vs the Ravens last year. One game does not make a career. Put him in Canton already.

Just because we didn't bring in any big name guys doesn't make him good. Since when are we good at evaluating safeties. We have a long overapaying and overvaluing at times (Roy, Ken, Gerald), and the vast majority of the time we just throw scrubs at the position hoping they stick. I could rattle off 20+ names there if I had the time and list of historic rosters in front of me (2005- present). Church is one of those scrubs.
  17. Idgit

31,875 Messages
    7,597 Likes Received
    I didn't say 'Canton.' I said quality starting NFL safety. And he played three games, plus all of camp before he got hurt, not one.

I don't see what previous safeties has much to do with how to evaluate Barry Church. Either the guy can play, or he can't. He can play; it's just apparently going to take you some more games before it's apparent.

I understand: it's not easy to evaluate just on what the guy does when he comes in as an UDFA from Toledo who gets his start playing on Teams. But the guy flat out won the job early in camp last year and he never looked back. The team really likes him because the guy can play. We can wait until the season gets going to revisit the topic, but it was clear from the start of the season last year that the guy's a capable starter.

And, by the way, Phil Costa is capable of starting games in this league, too.