1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST Blog: PFF says Tyron Smith had a near perfect day, except for that one sack

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 4, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,157 Messages
    6,963 Likes Received
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Unbelievable that the Cowboys ended up with 47 pass attempts after having a 24 point lead (in the second half)...
    '
    Way to put way too much unnecessary pressure on your very young offensive line....

Tyron had another great game. Smith is the best player the Cowboys have up front and one of the best players on the team, right now.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Bad time to have your one bad play :(
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well to be fair the young tackle shouldn't have been put in that situation anyways... Garrett and Romo are to blame.
  5. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    And it was really bad...

Not
  6. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,864 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    If we keep drafting like this, we might actual become good one day.:rolleyes:
  7. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,640 Messages
    1,258 Likes Received
    Unbelievable that this is incorrect. They didn't have 47 pass attempts after having a 24 point lead.
  8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,394 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Exactly. The run crowd likes to throw out crazy stats, but they're taken way out of context.

The majority of those passes were what got the 24 point lead in the first place. The majority of what came after that point were on the final drive from behind with no time outs.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,318 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I think in one to two years, the smart football people will be debating if Smith is the best players on the field on offense. Yes, even with Dez, Austin, Witten, and Romo on the field with him. I think he will be the DeMarcus Ware level of talent on offense.

btw, he will be our left tackle next year.
  10. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,539 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Poor kid got bulldozed. Looked like what Reggie White did to Larry Allen.....once.

This OL has truly amazed me these first four games. I really expected mayhem out there. Tony actually has a pocket and at times I don't think he knows how to act. He still plays as if it's going to collapse any second like previous years.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I almost made him my player of the week again. Maybe I let the sack sway me too much, but Tyron has been ranked among the best pass blockers in the league all year.

I was a bit skeptical if the kid going into the draft but the pick made sense and he's mostly lived up to the (immense) hype, at least in terms of pass blocking.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,193 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    When your doing three and outs, that's true. During the second half, we really did have some untimely three and outs which put a lot of pressure on the Defense. If you breakdown the game in the second half, you will see that the Defense was on the field for a long period of time.
  13. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,198 Messages
    1,410 Likes Received
    No one considers a tackle to be the best player on a team. Just not how it works out.

That said I certainly hope to see him at left tackle and free at right. I think it could even happen this year. Perhaps unlikely, but possible is Free continues to struggle with the more premier pass rushers.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,193 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I agree. Smith got tossed on that play but by and large, I thought the OL played well until the game plan kinda came off the rails. I was very surprised how well we actually ran against this team. Early in the 3rd quarter, where the majority of our 2nd half run plays occured, we were running well. In fact, in that second half, we averaged 4.4 yards per carry. The OL was doing a very good job IMO.
  15. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,564 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    Is this your own addition or did you misinterpret Sam's original comment?

He said Smith could be the best player on the offense in a few years. I think there's validity to that, though he has some competition. Jonathan Ogden was considered the best offensive player for the Ravens even with Jamal Lewis at running back. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
  16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,394 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Actually you will see that they only played like 5 snaps in the 3rd quarter. That was a very rested defense going into the 4th quarter.