1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: 'Boys could help their offensive line in FA if big names hit the market

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 18, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

The Cowboys will be looking to improve in the interior of their offensive line. Offensive line coach Bill Callahan will help, but Dallas could use better players.

Center Phil Costa was the 30th-best center in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus. Right guard Kyle Kosier, 33, didn't have his best season. He tied for 46th among guards, according to the Web site. The Cowboys started three left guards. Montrae Holland played there for 10 games after being re-signed when rookie Bill Nagy was lost for the season. Pro Football Focus had Holland tied for 16th among guards.

The best guards slated to become free agents are New Orleans' Carl Nicks and Baltimore's Ben Grubbs. Houston's Chris Myers, Green Bay's Scott Wells and San Diego's Nick Hardwick are the top centers whose contracts expire.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...f-big-names-hit-the-market.html#storylink=cpy
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    It seems to me that a lot of folks in the media are now starting to say what a lot of us around here have already said.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Where do you think they get their info? :laugh2:

Wake up log in get copy paste turn my story in to the DMN. :laugh2:
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Nothing new there.
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,579 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Sick of high priced retreads. Develope a young hungry athlete.
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    For the most part I agree however guys like Nicks who has 4 years in the NFL and Grubbs at 5 year still have a lot of game left. This is their 1st go round in FA. I don't think going out and getting 8 or 9 year vets is a good move
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    Exactly.

You're getting proven commodities in the primes of their careers in this case.

And you're not 'projecting' them anywhere other than where they've played at a Pro Bowl level.

While there is always some level of risk in paying any player big money, the odds for success here look pretty good in my opinion.
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I would agree. When it comes to older players looking for their last big pay day I'll pass but in this case Nicks and Grubbs are still early on in their career (based on avg OL player) so yeah I would love to have them.

With older FA if you are looking for a 1 or 2 year deal maybe so as long as the contract is within reason.
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,579 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I have to agree with these guys. 4 and 5 years for OLinemen is nothing. (Didn't know their years of service) I just hope they don't have the "I got paid" mentality which it seems the Cowboys attract.