1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Callahan says team still have confidence in Arkin, who can be a backup at C/G

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

David Arkin still has the confidence of the Cowboys’ coaches, who believe they can trust him to be a backup at guard or center if they need him.

“My hat goes off to him,” offensive line coach Bill Callahan said Thursday at Valley Ranch. “He took numerous repetitions in training camp. I think he ended up with the most reps of any offensive lineman. So he acquired some real good experience, which will afford us, if we do bring him up or make him active for a game, to have him in a backup role, not only at the guard spot, but at the center position as well.

“We’re trying to build our depth. There’s no better way to do that than to have him take advantage of the situation that occurred in Oxnard.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-who-can-be-a-backup-at-center-and-guard.html
  2. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Well let's hope he's right because I have no confidence in Arkin. He looks Procteresque to me at this point.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,170 Messages
    2,797 Likes Received
    Arkin showed good movement skills.

Yeah, he needs more strength, but he at least looked like he knew what he was doing.

I think there's something to build on.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I don't know if Arkin will ever be ready but I am pretty sure he isn't ready right now.

If Cook were to go down we would be looking for a starter at Centre and not a backup.

I still think the best solution is to sign Holland, get a competition between Mack and Cook at Centre and the winner starts there with Holland at RG.

You can get the roster space by releasing the CB we just signed or trying to move Arkin onto the PS. I really doubt there is all that much interest in a guy who plays OL on skates.
  5. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah great, that's the guy you want hiking the ball to Romo every week. Face it he's not strong enough to stop any NT in the league. If he's starting, the game is over.
  6. BIGDen

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    AAAAAMEN!!!!! The idea that Dockery and Arkin are one injury away from starting is beyond disturbing. Holland should have been signed a while ago.
  7. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,656 Messages
    7 Likes Received

I'm looking at Winicki's post, and where exactly does he say that Arkin would be "hiking the ball to Romo every week"? Arkin is a prospect that is still raw, needs to get stronger, etc..., but dude, why rant and rave about him potentially starting? Hes a developmental backup. Chill out.
  8. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I still don't get the Holland love. There are 31 other teams out there and not one has signed him.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Well we had him here last year and saw what he could do once he committed himself and got into shape.

I think he graded out as a top 10 OG in the league last year. He was very good run blocking and good pass blocking. He gives you a clean pocket because no one can push him back with his low center of gravity and tremendous ability to anchor. He also has good lateral agility in tight spaces. His weakness is getting out in space.

So I know what he can do and everyone else in the league ignoring him doesn't prove anything to me.

I know we are a better team with him. The team admitted as much when they worked out Loper, Dockery and Holland. The problem was they couldn't come to terms with him on a deal.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Maybe Arkin will gain a sufficient amount of strength in time and maybe he won't. I'd still prefer we draft another o-lineman early next draft, though. I wouldn't expect a staff member like Callahan to say anything other than to express confidence in his charges anyhow. What's he supposed to say; he's too weak and is developing at a snail's pace? Highly unlikely. I'll be quite disappointed if we don't draft another interior offensive lineman fairly early-on next year.
  11. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

684 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Mee too, many Zoners think they know better than Callahan.

Am I'm happy with depth, no. But clumsy Holland is not the answer.
  12. BIGDen

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Many of us expressed concern over our interior OL situation last year and wanted Waters (who wanted to come here), but I guess the Cowboys staff "knew better". Unfortunately, they don't always make the right call. Eskimo's post about why Holland would be a good signing explains why some of us are still hoping we sign him. Nobody thinks that the guy is All-Pro, but he is better than Dockery or Arkin. If you think that either of those guys are better than Holland, then you judge talent and ability very differently than I do. Holland would be on this team if the Cowboys agreed to include playing time incentives (which seem only fair for a guy who has proven to have the ability to start). Let us all pray that we do not suffer any more OL injuries this year, because the depth is not good.
  13. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

684 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Again, you and others proclaim this with out knowing what kind of shape Holland is in or his readiness to compete. Like another poster pointerd out; Holl;and is still unemployeed, with many other teams having OLO depth issues-hmmmmm. With regards to Waters, this league does have salary cap limitations, you simply cant sign everyone you want. If so, the riches teams would remain at the top--See Yankees.... This year we put our largest egg, in the Carr basket. We can debate about that move if you choose. Carr vs. signing a top tier OL.. In defense of the Cowboys brass, we did suffer an excessive amount of OL injuries. I had High hopes for Nagy and Killa. But thats football.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    last year was a text book example on what not to do on the O line.

Whoever thought Costa was a starting caliber player last year needed to go; hopefully that was Houck.

Whoever decided to pass on Waters was a MORON.

Holland was the only smart move they made during the season on the O line.

For those that somehow are blind he was quite good at Guard last year later in the season.

Now no one has come out and said he is not in shape; the word has been he wanted too much money. Which is up to him and no one else.
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    And none of them, save for New England, had the sense to sign Waters last year did they? Hmmmmmmm...

As for Holland? He was apparently in good enough shape to out-perform both Dockery and Loper when all three worked out - by a wide margin. His only 'sin' was wanting to get paid better than league minimum.

That's a load of bull. This team was in no way 'capped out' or unable to pay him what he wanted. They chose not to - wrongly. Save the revisionist history lesson.

And what do 'high hopes' get you?

Nobody is suggesting having Pro Bowlers at every position, but there are better ways to deal with depth than 'hopes'.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,470 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    but callahan said he can be relied on and "took the most reps in TC"
    so he must be ready :eek:
  17. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

684 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    This, next year OL should be #1 priority. Sorry, but Holland would not be an upgrade. He wiffs on blocks and falls on his face. I'm confident in the fact if he was an upgrade he would have been paid. I too am a little surprise Dockery still on the team, but I trust Callahan's judgement.
    With that said, I am concern the OL or lack of depth will hold us back. Mark my words though Killa will help this team this year--eventually.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,470 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    i hope you are not suggesting the we actually plan for the future

that would be just crazy
  19. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

801 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    I think it is too late to start shuffling the pieces around. Bern has not played a lot of center and is just settling down as guard for us. I think Cook is the center now, if Costa comes back we have competition. If Kowalski comes back we have more competition.
  20. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    No arguments from me here.

I'm not confident. Not when all reports said that Holland was far and away the best of the three that worked out. His only 'sin' was in wanting incentives put into his deal if he actually played.

Even if you're right, that's 4 more weeks away - at best.

If anything happens to Cook within that time frame, we're in serious trouble.

It scares me that the team keeps pushing their luck at the center position.