1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Callahan to call plays from coaching booth (Notes)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 14, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,309 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr. and Carlos Mendez
    chill@star-telegram.com cmendez@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Bill Callahan said he will go up to the coaching booth to call plays this season, which he likes because it’s like watching game film.

“The ability to recognize coverages, fronts, what the defense is doing, I think it’s a lot easier from up top than it is down on the bottom,” the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator/offensive line coach said Thursday at Valley Ranch as the team finished a three-day mini-camp. “I just like the vantage point.”

Callahan hasn’t coached from the booth since he was offensive coordinator with the Oakland Raiders from 1998 to 2001.

Randle’s cast
    Running back Joseph Randle said the cast on his hand will be removed next week, and he will stay in town to take handoffs and “get back in the swing of things.”

Read more Cowboys notes: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/13/4936602/callahan-to-call-plays-from-coaching.html
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,838 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    I am happy about this ...... I always thought this is an advantage being away from the sideline distractions and with a view of the entire field.
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,106 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have always felt our offensive strategy has been to find tactical edges and create matchup issues in the passing game. The chess perspective works better for this in my opinion.

If we were a grinding, power based offense I would like an emotional sideline coordinator.
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,025 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Good stuff... I like it! I agree, he gets to see the entire field!
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Called it.

One in the booth, one on the sidelines. If Jerry hadn't opened his mouth, who would have known who was calling the plays?
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,229 Messages
    3,566 Likes Received
    Fixed that.