1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cornerbacks available in free agency

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Cornerbacks available in free agency if Cowboys opt to go that route
    Cornerback is an area that needs improvement. That much is obvious.

According to Pro Football Focus, Mike Jenkins, who played through various injuries all season, was the team's best cornerback. He ranked 40th at the position, having been targeted 54 times while allowing 28 receptions for 340 yards and four touchdowns, with a 51.9 completion percentage against him and an 88.5 passer rating against him. The web site credited him with five pass breakups, and he had an interception.

Alan Ball, who is a free agent, was the Cowboys' second-best cornerback, according to PFF. He ranked 82nd, just ahead of Orlando Scandrick at No. 83. Scandrick signed a five-year, $27 million extension before the season, so he is not going anywhere.

Jenkins will enter 2012 in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $1 million. It will be a big season for him with free agency approaching.

But the Cowboys almost certainly will part ways with cornerback Terence Newman...

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...wboys-opt-to-go-that-route.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Cutting to the chase...and the article describes status of each:

Several top cornerbacks, including Tennessee's Cortland Finnegan, Baltimore's Lardarius Webb, San Francisco's Carlos Rogers, Kansas City's Brandon Carr and Atlanta's Brent Grimes are scheduled to become free agents in March. Terrell Thomas of the Giants also could hit the market, but he missed all of the 2011 season after tearing his right anterior cruciate ligament in a preseason game.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...wboys-opt-to-go-that-route.html#storylink=cpy
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    and there you HAVE it gents: Scandrick was 83rd and Ball was 82nd.............no biggie: they both suck just cut them right, ooooops...JErrah signed ODOG to the big deal: we are stuck with him. Just brutal.

I would sign FInnegan at CB or Grimes as a plan B....then sign Nicks at Guard or Grubbs as a plan B........then you draft a CB and draft another Guard: best available. About all we can do: will def. line have to wait another year: gosh I hope not as we suck on the interior on that side of the ball too.....
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Nope you sign Carr and either Nicks or Grubbs. In 1st you draft Brockers, in 2nd you draft Minnefield (even if you have to trade up). Draft a guard in the 3rd. Arkin or Nagy will be one of the starting guards this year. We have to be patient with some of the players. This is a 3 year process. We are in year 2.

Brocker, Ratliff, Ware, Lee, Carter, Carr, Jenkins is the start of a good defense.

Smith, Nicks, Free, Nagy or Arkin is the start of a good o-line. You can't have pro bowlers at every position. Our offense was still pretty good last year with basically no interior line.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I agree. First, I would try and re-sign Spencer, Robinson and Ball. I would then target a guard (Nicks), CB (Carr) and LB (Scott) in free agency and focus on defense in the first two rounds of the draft.
  6. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......convince Jerrah and you are my hero.
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    get ready to duck my friend . i agree with the other 2
  8. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......I just don't think he warrants a new deal. He's been mediocre overall. Yeah, I know he'll end up in DC, but oh well....:rolleyes:
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I'd love to see a comparison of Scandrick's play when he was in the role that we signed him for, 3rd corner. Most of the season he played #1 or #2. He's not a 1. He is a decent 2.

Being unhappy with Scandrick's play is kind of like being upset that there is a drop off when Stephen McGee plays QB for us.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I agree with you, surprisingly. :laugh2:

The fact of the matter, however, is that Dallas needs a proven commodity at that 4th CB spot. Ball will never be a starter but he is a reliable 4th corner and I doubt other teams are going to be beating down his door for his services.

He should come cheap so why not keep him around as insurance until Dallas can upgrade it's talent in the secondary?