1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FWST: Cowboy blog: Mel Kiper sez

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cbz40, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Mel Kiper sez

ESPN draft czar Mel Kiper has the perfect choice for the Cowboys with their first-round pick -- Florida safety Reggie Nelson.

The Cowboys draft No. 22 and Nelson could be in their sights as a possible fix-it guy for their coverage issues. Maybe Cowboys fans should hope Nelson has only mediocre workouts because he could climb out of their reach if he impresses at the combine.

``He can be an ideal fit for the Dallas Cowboys,’’ Kiper said on a national conference call Wednesday. ``Nelson is such a great cover guy, so instinctive. He would be a great fit for Dallas to be next to Roy Williams, who’s in the box and a tough, hard-nosed safety.’’

Nelson, a junior, is 5-foot-11 and 198 pounds with hard-hitting ability elite coverage skills. (It’s possible to do both?)

If the Cowboys pick Nelson, it could be a sign they have pretty much given up on Patrick Watkins (fifth-round pick last year) being the starter after one year.

Kiper also said Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson could drop some jaws during his workouts. Kiper also noted that Texas cornerback Aaron Ross will be the highest Longhorn drafted.

-- Rick Herrin
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,808 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    na...i perfer watkins....like parcells said....watkins has the potential to be 1 of the best...he plays lights out in practice..and despite a few shaky games against the Eagles n Giants...he was pretty good the whole season especially the second half.....

i like the titans game tho..i think the 3rd game for us...were watkins had like 3 pass deflections, 2 in a row, and 2 were supposed to be ints...and that fumble recovery...with his Hieght, Range, speed, and being so athletic...he could grow n flourish into 1 of the best
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,600 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    and with the 22nd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select.........

AARON ROSS - THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
  4. smarta5150

smarta5150 Mr. Wright

7,161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They should turn Kiper off and put him back in the closet.

Another guy who thinks EVERY player in the secondary needs to be some lockdown, play making coverage guy.
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,600 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    are u gonna still be a branch fan when he goes to the Skins?
  6. smarta5150

smarta5150 Mr. Wright

7,161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Low blow... dont remind me.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Up until about a week or so before the draft Kiper has a drafting a FS in the 1st round last year. He's just not very good at projecting team needs.
  8. Thick 'N Hearty

Thick 'N Hearty Active Member

2,359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought Watkins was a great selection and played decently for a rook. Fault Parcells for other things, but don't fault him as a judge of talent. P-Wat is going to improve a great deal this season.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I'd rather take Zbikowski in the second. For some reason he isn't rated that high this year but he's one of the top 2-3 safeties in this draft IMO.

Plus he can return punts.
  10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,546 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Landry, Nelson, Rice, Ginn, Jarrett, Ross. I'd love to hear any of those names at the 22nd pick.
  11. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    May have something to do with him not being in the draft.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Between now and April, Kiper will project 10 different players to the Cowboys. He plays this game every year.
  13. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,600 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    im kipers defense we all do....cause we have to wait on what happens with FA....
  14. dillinger319

dillinger319 Striped Leopard

813 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm a UT fan and I would be TICKED if we drafted him, hes very overrated. Yes he was good at times but he gave up some big plays and thats not what our secondary needs.........
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received

When did Parcells say Watkins has the potential to be one of the best?
  16. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:confused:

:lmao:

I'll take him in a 3rd round TKO.
  17. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,600 Messages
    38 Likes Received

yes he gave up big plays...all CBs do....

here is the skinny on Ross....when he plays tight on the WR, he is lockdown. However, when he plays off the WR, he gives up catches and big plays.

So just play him on the WR at the snap and he will be good to go. Also, he is great at creating turnovers. He forces fumbles, recovers them, and gets INTs....he also tackles very well. On top of all of this, he is a very nice punt returner.
  18. smarta5150

smarta5150 Mr. Wright

7,161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And safeties... its ony natural, they are the last line of defense.

Make this clear for al the RW haters and those who wanna draft a new FS.
  19. Cochese

Cochese Benched

7,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Or the fact that he got absolutely abused in pass coverage this year.
  20. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    yeah he is overrated. andy brodell made him look stupid with what is possibly the ugliest juke in alamo bowl history. 60 yards later in the end zone he looked even more stupid.