1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys impressed by how well and how quickly Travis Frederick picked things up

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 14, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,424 Messages
    4,382 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

“One of the traits that we identified early was his ability to communicate, his retention of the system, his ability to communicate it out,” offensive line coach Bill Callahan said. “Those are all real positives that came to fruition during the course of the mini-camps and the OTAs.”

Frederick practiced only at center during the spring as the Cowboys gave him every snap they could at the position they drafted him to play.

“For a young guy, he really seems to grasp what we’re trying to get accomplished in a short period of time,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “The challenge for him is blocking across from him. It’s Hatcher. It’s Ratliff. It’s some of those guys. That’s a tough ball snap. I think he’s understanding that.”

Frederick said he’s got the big stuff down. It’s the little stuff he’s working on now – “the technique things here and there, instead of trying to pick up a playbook and pick that stuff up,” he said. “I feel like I’ve picked that up pretty well as far as assignments and stuff like that, but obviously, there will be little things here and there.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...uickly-travis-frederick-picked-things-up.html
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,267 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    I have no doubt he's going to be a very good player.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,753 Messages
    2,512 Likes Received
    Yeah for a "6th round draft pick talent" :rolleyes: I think he will too.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    he was probably considered by the majority of teams a late 2nd rd pick.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Good to know he's picking up the offense quickly!
  6. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,867 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    So do they have him playing center in OTAs? People are wondering if it'll be him or Costa starting at center. Shouldn't it be apparent by who is getting the snaps?
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,447 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    Frederick has been the #1 C in all the ota's and minicamp with Costa #2. Some still have hope that they will move Frederick to OG so that they have a Leary-Costa-Frederick middle. But it's not looking that way so far.
  8. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,363 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    haha I think he will have solid year.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,731 Messages
    3,423 Likes Received

:laugh2: It's a miracle!
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,731 Messages
    3,423 Likes Received
    Well, probably, but Costa does not need the snaps now. We'll get a better picture once TC starts.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Did somebody say that?
    I sure don't recall it.

I do recall a lot of 2nd and 3rd round grades though.

Since there are plenty of 2nd and 3rd rounder talents that start--especially if they are taken in Rd 1--Freddy getting plugged in there is certainly no surprise. It may take while (years.) before we know wht is rel blue was. I just want him to help us. I do know thi; to start, he won't have to eat out any good NFL players.

I'm not saying he won't deserve it (I'm pulling for him big time) but most teams almost force their 1st round picks into the lineup as quickly as possible for for several reasons...some even non football related.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,422 Messages
    3,708 Likes Received
    Can't wait for preseason to see him on the field. He'll make rookie mistakes that you can count on. But I want to see how much and how fast he progresses.
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Mark Stepnoski was a 3rd round pick, Andre Gurode a 2nd, those are the best two centers Dallas has drafted dating back to 1989.

High expectations on a 1st round center, that's for sure.

Hopefully he's no Clay Shiver or Al Johnson...
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,567 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    You can almost tell already that he's not going to be. Strong and smart. The only question is can he be quick enough at this level, but you kind of know going in that he's going to be at least adequate. He's got 10 year starter written all over him.
  15. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,704 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    ............At possibly more than one position. If that goes a long way to firming up and improving our O line, then I'm happy with it. Build the trenches....win games.
  16. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,489 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    [x] Intelligence
    [x] nasty streak
    [x] size
    [ ] experience

3 out of 4 so far; I am liking what I am seeing (reading) so far about him
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,861 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    Exactly. I'm thrilled he's got the play book down. I still think he needs to cut some weight to help with foot speed. No reason he has to play at 330.
  18. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    happy post number 59,178 Woody'sGirl!
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Let's look at recent draft history here and who started as a rookie right away and who was a backup:

2012: Mo - starter
    2011: Tyron - starter
    2010: Dez - backup
    2009: No pick
    2008: Felix - backup
    2008: Jenkins - backup
    2007: Spencer - backup
    2006: Carpenter - backup
    2005: Ware - starter
    2005: Spears - starter
    2004: None
    2003: TNew - starter
    2002: Roy Williams - starter
    2001: None
    2000: None

So if we look at 13 years history as a franchise over 4 different HCs (Campo, BP, Wade, Garrett) we basically see a pattern where the top 10 guys typically started and the late first rounders usually were on the bench. The only guy who never ended up starting was Carpenter who was a true bust. The only guy who started right away who wasn't a Pro Bowl quality player was Spears. Some may see Spears was a bit of a need pick in 2005 so we could move to the 3-4 defense although I think most had him going in the late first round. As I recall BP really wanted us to try and trade up to get him because he thought he was so important but no deal could be made and he ended up falling to us.

Right now it looks like TFred is going to start. What we don't know for sure yet is the position. I think the hope is for him to start at Center with maybe Livings and Bern at OG unless Leary and/or Arkin beat them out. However, the feeling may be that Center is the harder position to pick up so they want him to maximize snaps there with the knowledge that he can quickly be flipped to OG and pick it up right away.

To me our best group of 5 may very well be:

Tyron Leary Costa/Kowalski TFred Parnell/Free
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,567 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    He's reportedly down to 317 now, fwiw.