1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys Notes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Posted on Sat, Jul. 31, 2004

COWBOYS NOTES

QBs to answer the QB question

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - Quincy or Vinny? Vinny or Quincy?

Get ready to hear that question a lot in the coming weeks. If Cowboys coach Bill Parcells did not make himself clear enough in June that he brought in Vinny Testaverde to compete with Quincy Carter for the starting quarterback spot, he did Friday.

"I don't believe in incumbents," Parcells said. "I go by what I see."

What Parcells said he needs to see from the interception-prone Carter is a better touchdown-to-interception ratio. From Testaverde, he needs to see signs that the 40-year-old is still capable of being a 16-game starter in the NFL. All four of Parcells' quarterbacks, however, will get a chance to show him their abilities. Parcells plans to rotate snaps between Testaverde, Carter, Drew Henson and Tony Romo as he did in minicamp.

Light load for George

Bill Parcells had his first face-to-face talk Friday with veteran running back Eddie George, and his message was simple: Prepare for a light load from now until the regular-season games begin.

"You don't wear Eddie George out here," Parcells said of the 30-year-old back. "I told him, 'Let's get our mind on September.' I want his mind-set to be that way. I always do that with veteran players."

Parcells' philosophy with rookies is somewhat different. He believes in "throwing them to the wolves," with running back Julius Jones being no exception. He will carry, and carry a lot, in practice and preseason games to determine how quickly to throw him in once the season starts.

"I got Richie Anderson and Eddie George now, so, Julius Jones, there is not really a lot of pressure on him, which is good, because now I can work them in the way I want to. I don't have to force him," Parcells said.

A few good men

Bill Parcells knows the addition of Eddie George, Vinny Testaverde, Keyshawn Johnson and Marcellus Wiley will make the Cowboys better, but he believes the development of players such as right guard Andre Gurode will ultimately determine how good the Cowboys will be.

Gurode is one of a half-dozen players whom Parcells hopes makes a big jump in their second year in his system.

The others he named were Daleroy Stewart, Kenyon Coleman, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Torrin Tucker and Tony Dixon.

Briefly

• The Cowboys signed their final draft pick Friday when offensive lineman Jacob Rogers agreed to a five-year deal that can be voided after four years based on playing time. The second-round pick from Southern Cal received a $1.4 million signing bonus and will be on the field when practices begin today. To make room for Rogers, the Cowboys cut wide receiver Brandon Middleton from the University of Houston.

• The Cowboys placed center Gennaro DiNapoli and safety Darren Woodson on the physically unable to perform list. Parcells hopes to have DiNapoli back in time for the third preseason game, while Woodson is likely to miss six to eight weeks.

• The key position battles in camp are center (Al Johnson vs. Tyson Walter), right tackle (Torrin Tucker, Javiar Collins and Jacob Rogers), linebacker (Dexter Coakley vs. Bradie James) and right cornerback (Pete Hunter, Bruce Thornton and Jemeel Powell). Parcells plans to rotate who starts with the first team on a daily basis. The only exception is right corner, where Hunter will play with the first team, while Thornton and Powell rotate with the second team.
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Man, I hope there is not a battle between Al Johnson and Tyson Walter. If Tyson Walter ends up starting, the OL is screwed.
  3. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

He's our starter, Denapoli backup. I don't see Walter making team.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,444 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    N-How. :)