1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff emerges as off-the-field leader

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 27, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,166 Messages
    5,715 Likes Received
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- When nose tackle Jay Ratliff came to Dallas as an unknown, seventh-round pick in the much-ballyhooed 2005 draft class that featured first-round picks DeMarcus Ware and Marcus Spears, the Cowboys didn't know what to do with him.

He was moved back and forth from end to nose tackle.

Now, the Cowboys don't know what they would do without him.

A first-team All-Pro in 2009, not only is Ratliff the best at his position in the NFL but he might arguably be the Cowboys' best player.

He is certainly the heart and soul of the defense, because the only thing that surpasses his talent is his work ethic and unyielding desire to succeed.

But if the Cowboys are going to realize their Super Bowl dream and stop the trend of being a talent-laden team that can't get over the hump, it might be because of the quiet emergence of Ratliff as a leader off the field and in the locker room.

2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I shed a tear reading this....

D-Ware and J. Ratliff are my two favorite players.
  3. LandryFan

LandryFan Well-Known Member

2,125 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Reports such as these are becoming an everyday occurance. Kind of makes it difficult to keep expectations tempered. Ahhh, to hell with it...Super Bowl or Bust!!!
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,771 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    DeMarcus Ware
    Anthony Spencer
    Jay Ratliff
    Mike Jenkins
    Terrance Newman

Tony Romo
    Felix Jones
    Miles Austin
    Marion Barber
    Jason Witten
    Andre Gurode

You talk about talent and loads of it.

There's really no way this team, if healthy, shouldn't push deep into the playoffs and to the Super Bowl.