1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: DeMarco Murray's physical play makes him Cowboys' No. 1 back, motivates offense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Posted Wednesday, Sep. 12, 2012

By Carlos Mendez
    cmendez@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- His performance in the season opener against the New York Giants, on top of the promise he showed last year as a rookie, has them so convinced, they're no longer even pretending they have a committee or co-starter approach at running back.

"DeMarco Murray is our starter at tailback," coach Jason Garrett said Wednesday at Valley Ranch.

"I love it how he explodes into the guy who is trying to tackle him at the end of the run," Garrett said. "His pads are always down, and he's always finishing forward. I think it's good to get yards that way, but I also think it sends a message to the guy who's trying to tackle him."

Murray shrugs.

"At the end of the day, I'd rather go north and south than go east and west and try to shake and make someone miss," he said. "But it just depends on the situation. There are a lot of good defenders in this league, so there aren't too many times when you can make guys miss, and there aren't too many games when you're one-on-one. But I just try to finish as much as I can."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/09/12/4254259/demarco-murrays-physical-play.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,947 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Bottlom line the kid is just a good football player! No nonsense no BS just give me the ball coach. I use to love FJ, but there is something about him that irks me this year, and I am glad this kid is here and I hope he is here for years to come and comes in 2nd to Emmitt in career yards for the club! If he does that this team will win championships over the next 3 or 4 years and then Tony can Ride off as a future HOF'r and Cowboy great! Keep it up Murray!!!! Give us hope.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,889 Messages
    7,632 Likes Received
    Heh. Love that. And I love this guy. His mindset, more than anything, and the fact that we can throw to him liberally out of the backfield and it hurts teams and gets us into second-and-whatever-we-want-to-do-next most of the time. He's a weapon.
  4. keds

keds Active Member

365 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Time to give Barry Switzer some love, if I'm correct he recommended Murray to Jerry...
  5. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Love it.
  6. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    That's right, he did. Way to go, Switz. :starspin
  7. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,036 Messages
    171 Likes Received

wasnt there bad blood between the two? if so why is he helping JJ out?
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,577 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    never heard that before,,, quite the opposite.
  9. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,997 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Barry would campaign for the guy who drives the Sooner Schooner.

[IMG]
  10. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Switzer knows what he's talking about regarding Oklahoma running backs.

I wished he participated more in personnel evaluation in 1995 when the Cowboys selected Sherman Williams a round before Hall of Famer Curtis Martin and four rounds before nigh Hall of Famer Terrell Davis.
  11. Thomas82

Thomas82 Active Member

1,221 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    We already had Emmitt, who was in his prime then, so that wasn't on their radar.
  12. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,997 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Terrell Davis making the Hall of Fame is so laughable. He had a big standout season in an offense that produced big seasons for every other journeyman who stood behind the QB. It's the equivalent of saying Wes Welker is a Hall of Fame WR.

That doesn't address the sound argument that Sherman Williams was a waste of a pick. That being said, I'm sure Switzer had his say. And I expect you are the first person (other than Mrs. Switzer) to say that they wished Barry participated more in personnel evaluation when he was with the Cowboys. I'm pretty sure he was more interested in partying and adding to his memorabilia room than he was being a hardcore personnel guy. He might have drafted based on NRA membership if given the chance.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,920 Messages
    4,487 Likes Received
    Wish he'd stop spearing people. That's just not a good idea to do on a consistent basis.
  14. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I keep thinking the same thing. He's gonna get a neck injury, or a concussion, or both. He needs to be smarter about how and when he does that. We all love how hard he runs, but the way he lowers his head right at a guy's chest at times will inevitably end badly for him.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I coach helping out a player.

Unheard of.

More like time to give the staff in Dallas credit for taking him.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Yep gotta hand it to Switzer he correctly evaulated D. Murray.