1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Felix Jones is as healthy as he has been this season

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,010 Messages
    3,952 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez/Charean Williams

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said running back Felix Jones looked as healthy as he has looked all year in scoring on an 11-yard catch against the Eagles.

“You can make an argument he broke five tackles on an 11-yard completion,” Garrett said. “We thought that play was going to be a good play. We got what we wanted from it. Jason Witten made a good block that sustained it, but at the end of it, Felix made a lot of guys miss and scored a touchdown on it. It was good, tough running.”

It was the third touchdown of the season (two running, one receiving) for Jones, matching his career high. He did it in each of his first two seasons.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...is-as-healthy-as-he-has-been-this-season.html
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,834 Messages
    3,322 Likes Received
    1st round draft pick.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Honestly I could care less where he was drafted I just want him to make plays when he is out on the field. After the season is done then the Cowboys will make a move on him one way or the other.
  4. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    When is Murray due back? I miss that guy.
  5. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    That was one of Felix's best games Sunday agaisnt the Eagles.:)
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,466 Likes Received
    DeMarco Murray is the same way with the lack of touchdowns.

I don't think it's a RB issue. Get them NFL quality offensive linemen to play behind.

This is the single biggest on field issue with this team by a country mile.
  7. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I would say Turnovers more than anything. Run blocking needs to improve pass blocking Dallas has not given up a lot of sacks
  8. Lifetimeboyzfan

Lifetimeboyzfan Active Member

1,105 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Primarily because Romo makes folks miss though. I wouldn't credit our Line with too much of that, though they have certainly showed improvement.
  9. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    As do other QB's in the leauge. Romo is not the only one who can move around in the pocket to buy time. I think the OL needs to improve a lot in the running game but I have seen them doing a much better job overall in blitz pickups and stunts. Having said that when a blitz comes they will eventually get there heck you have more pass rushers coming than you do men blocking in many cases but the object it to slow them down to give the QB that split sec he will need.
  10. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That play scared the hell out of me initially because he was pretty careless with the ball switching hands. After that it was a great play! I was happy to see him score.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,779 Likes Received
    Turnovers, by a country mile. But red zone running efficiency is one area where we've still got an obvious personnel deficiency, and it shows. I think having Costa back helps that, but I don't imagine it fixes it entirely.

As for Felix's play, he broke 5 arm tackles on that completion. Great run by Felix, really poor tackling by PHI. I'd be furious with our D if we'd done the same.

It's night-and-day with Felix on the field Sunday v. Felix on the field at the start of the season. Goes to show you how important physical conditioning is to winning and losing games when you see how much it affects the ability of a single player.
  12. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I agree and to think Costa was the whipping boy before the start of the season. :laugh2:

As for Felix he can be a big help, not as strong of a down hill runner as Murray is but Felix can make big plays and this team will need him to do just that. Right now not even concerned about Felix future I only care what he does from this point forward in the season.
  13. Idgit

28,917 Messages
    4,779 Likes Received
    The Browns are depleted at LB. Other than D'Qwell Jackson, who's obviously very good, there should be an opportunity there this week, anyway.
  14. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I don't disagree but the Cowboys need to look at the Browns as the hardest team they will face this year and go into this game ready mentally and physically, we just have no room for a letdown and best way to do that is by not going in underestimating the opponent. I always got a kick out of Landry on his TV show it did not matter who we were playing after hearing Landry talk you could swear we were playing the best team in the league. :D

I think there was some method to this maddness. :laugh2:
  15. Idgit

28,917 Messages
    4,779 Likes Received
    This Browns team is actually a lot better than their record indicates. And that's not my Landry impersonation :). They've been in every game and played some good teams. The lone exception is that Giants game, where they jumped all over them, and then collapsed. They're also coming off their bye.

I think this game will be a lot like the Tampa game where, if we're lucky enough to win, we'll win-ugly. I also expect fans to stop talking Superbowl and to blame the play calling afterward. How's that for going out on a limb?

I'll be happy if we can squeak out another one-possession win here and move on to the Redsk*ns on Turkey Day.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,813 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    How was he supposed to put up big TD numbers when MBIII was here? Score from outside of 20 every game?
  17. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Felix ran at a 4.4 clip against the Eagles (16-71 4.4 YPC). Jones ran at a 4.3 clip against Atlanta and received only 9 carries in that game. Jones looked good in Atlanta (14 touches and 109 yards). Dallas had only 17 rushes against a very suspect run defense, and Dunbar (8 carries) ran at a 3.2 clip and missed a wide open hole inside. The drive died. Not running Felix Jones nearly enough was a huge factor in Dallas not beating Atlanta. You can add Tanner getting stuffed at midfield on 3rd and 1 as another big reason why that game was lost. If Felix carries the rock against Atlanta 14-18 times, the Cowboys most likely win.

When Felix was hot against the Falcons and Eagles, they didn't stop him. The coaches stopped him by taking him out of the game or by abandoning not only the run but Jones himself.

Here are Jones' rushes over the last 5 games:

9 (Atlanta)

Last two weeks:

9-39 (4.3 YPC) L

16-71 (4.4 YPC) W

Jones received 7 more rushes against Philadelphia, and the Cowboys won the game. Jones was pulled out of the huddle (after runs of 15 and 6) against Atlanta, and the Cowboys ran a wham (trap) for Dunbar's 18 yard run against the Falcons. The run was wide open. The Cowboys continued to pull Jones for Dunbar against the Eagles. Furthermore, Jones lost an opportunity for a huge run in that game, because Dunbar was carrying the ball and going no where. John Phillips' false start cost Jones yards, too. Doug Free's false start most likely cost Jones a big run on a toss left, too.

I just don't understand the overall coaching here. Jones is more than willing to rush the football, but they continue to hand-cuff him by running a player like Dunbar too much. Plus, Garrett abandoned the run all together in Atlanta. It cost the Cowboys the Atlanta game.

Michael Tuner 20 rushes

Felix Jones 9 rushes

Ballgame!
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,253 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    I'm sure the coaching staff wasn't to pleased with Jones' critical fumble in the Giants game.

So after that little snafu maybe they lost faith in Jones to tote the rock securely for 10+ touches.

Jones led the league with 5 fumbles last season, 3 toting the rock and 2 receiving and he was a part-time back.

For a team that has had ball security issues this year fumbling the ball when you are in position to try and win the game I'll have to side with the coaches on limiting Jones' touches.