1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett acknowledges lack of practice in preseason probably affecting Witten...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 23, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

For the first time, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett acknowledged that a lack of practice in the preseason is probably affecting veteran tight end Jason Witten, who had two drops in Sunday’s game against Tampa.

“He hasn’t caught balls that we are used to seeing him catching,” Garrett said. “I’m not making excuses for him, but there was a stretch of about four weeks ... where he didn’t practice. He gutted it out for us in a heroic effort against the Giants. He is still getting his feet back underneath him. He’s had six practices since then, and I think he’s just trying to get back into his rhythm.”

Witten missed all that practice time recovering from a torn spleen he suffered in the first preseason game. The recovery required him to avoid all activity for seven to 10 days after the injury, and he practiced only in very limited fashion until the season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 5.

“He just has to keep playing. ... He’s one of the best players I’ve ever been around, so we are going to keep giving him opportunities,” Garrett said.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...affecting-witten-but-will-keep-giving-hi.html