1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett getting ready for Chip Kelly's offense in Philly

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said the coaching move in Philadelphia from Andy Reid to Chip Kelly presents a huge challenge for his team.

"The challenges that Chip Kelly presents are obvious," Garrett said. "Certainly, a great track record at Oregon. He’s just a darn good football coach, and he’s bringing that style of football to the NFL. I think we have seen glimpses of that the last couple of years where there has been a trickle up of college offenses to the NFL. And they are challenging. And his style is even different than some of the things we have seen. We are going to do a lot of studying of what he’s done to make sure we are ready for it because I think it’s different. It’s different from what a lot of teams have seen. We are going to get a chance to face him twice and we know what the challenges are and we have to get ready to go. So we have to get ourselves up to snuff on how to stop those guys."|

"I don’t know that many defenses had a whole lot of success against what they did there," Garrett said. "If you look at the track record, he was there for four years. They were pretty good week in and week out and year in and year out. Again, the challenges will be there. We’re going to do our best to study it, understand what they’re doing the best we can and get ourselves ready to go."|

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...about-kiffins-woes-at-usc-.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,288 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Was going to post a negative, anti-Garrett post here but since this is my 1,000 post (yeah) I'll keep it positive instead to celebrate.

Chip Kelly's offense may have been good in college, but I doubt it will be as successful in the NFL. The read option/pistol offenses have gotten people to think any college offense which is new will turn the NFL on it's ears. I still remember how Spurrier I believe was going to change the NFL with his "Fun & Gun" but flopped miserably. Kelly is no sure thing, IMO. As likely to flop as not. With Vick as his QB or some other 3rd tier QB, I'm betting we'll be fine next year vs. Philly.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Congrats on 1k...

Let's hope it doesn't take you another six years to get your 2nd k. :)
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Garrett us missing an obvious point. Kelly can't just recruit the fastest guys anymore because in NFL...everyone is fast. His system will fail once it is adjusted to. My prediction is he is fired within 2 years.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,043 Messages
    3,960 Likes Received
    I don't think what he does in college will translate well early, either. He's got Belichick in NE to look to as an example of how to start, though. And he's a dang good coach. I think he'll probably start off a bit slow and then figure out what adjustments need to be made. Especially until he's got his QB position settled. I do think he ends up with a formidable team eventually if he's given enough time.
  6. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Kelly is in over his head. This isn't college sucka.
  7. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Vick is still there, were safe.
  8. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,276 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    I hope that Garrett is just spinning words again to confuse people, because if he actually thinks a first year NFL coach is going to have a dynamic offense out of the chute just because he had it in college, then he is a boob

Kelly is a good signing for the eagles, but in college, he could make his team better by making them faster than the other teams who couldn't bring in those players across an entire roster.....I think they end up NEXT year picking in the top 10 in the draft again
  9. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I will give Skip Kelly credit for mixing things up. He is cutting 30+ players off the roster resulting in true cap space going forward. They will practice on Saturdays and on road games they will fly in on thursday instead of friday because his analysis showed jet lag sets in on day 2 (so they have extra day to recover). They have something like 20 coaches. Will be interesting to see how mature pro football players handle all of this.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,043 Messages
    1,599 Likes Received
    I think it will be interesting to see how Kelly does in Philly. I would not doubt he will make modification to his offensive schemes I think writing him off as some college coach is a mistake. I seem to recall people in the NFL taking Jimmy Johnson lightly that was a big mistake. I'm glad Garrett is paying attention to a team we will face 2 times a year instead of taking a this will never work in the NFL attitude.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,512 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Some of you are writing him off way too soon. Could he be a college-only coach who flames out? Sure. But this is a guy Belichick goes to watch and steals ideas from. And he did tie Kiffin in knots last year.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    I think one thing should be clear.
    With Washington, Philly and NY in our division, we need real speed on our defense.
    We need to be able to tackle in the open field too, but that's saying nothing new.
  13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,549 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I woudn't be surprised if his 'college' offense suceeds right off the bat next year. They've got some very fast guys on that team (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Vick - when healthy and if he plays).

Funny seeing these first year coaches come in and implement offenses that work with hardly any talent and it's taken our HC/OC 6+ years to get his to work and his best year was when Sparano was really running the show.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,512 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Exactly, AC.

I especially wouldn't want to play him early in the year when he shows some tricks that people haven't yet had time to see on tape.
  15. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Wishful thinking at best. Kelly isnt some jonny come lately who got the job because he is toit with the dictator/president/owner/general manager. He has been coaching for 23 years. I'd be willing to bet he is around longer than Garrett.
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I predict we will have a lot of trouble with the Eagles.

I don't know if Kelly is the next Spurrier, or Tom Landry.

I think he's an innovator, for sure, and I'm very interested to see how this all plays out.

They've certainly got a lot of talent on the Eagles
  17. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    This thread is a good example who knows football and who doesn't.

It has nothing to do with it being a college offense. It has to do with what his philosophy does to opposing defenses. And he has the perfect personnel to run it.

With very little pro film to use against him, Kelly and the Eagles might win the division next year, just like we did in 07 with Wade and Garrett.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,434 Messages
    2,789 Likes Received
    Yes, they have a lot of speed on O but their D is suspect IMO. The East is just difficult.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You act like this "philosophy" is something new. It's been around since the 70s. There's a reason why teams haven't successfully implemented it in the NFL full time. The NFL is ultimately a QB driven league and eventually when a QB is used as a RB enough in the NFL he gets killed.

Will Chip Kelly adapt? Probably. If he stick around long enough. Seems like a smart guy. Ultimately all coaches live and die by their QB play. The thing about Spurrier Petrino and Saban is they didn't stick around long enough to adapt or find their QB . They almost immediately decided the NFL is too hard and jumped ship back to college for lucrative jobs. If Chip Kelly struggled a little he would probably have his phone ringing off the hook by whatever major college program du jour that had an opening offering him a bazillion dollars to go back to college. Eagles covered their bases there a little bit by offering him $7 million.