1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett says DeMarco a complete back but declines to name him the starter

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 6, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    Clarence Hill

Rookie running back DeMarco Murray has done wonders since filling in for the injured Felix Jones three games ago.

"He's really done a lot for us," coach Jason Garrett said. "Any time you have a player like Felix Jones go down you're hopeful the next guy can step in and do the job," Garrett said. "We felt great about drafting DeMarco. We felt like he was a complete back and I think he's shown us in the last three weeks what kind of football player he is. One of the things showing up a lot is he is breaking tackles. I think he's making some people miss but I think he's also physical at the end of runs and making after contract which is really an important trait for a runner."
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    It would be one of the biggest disservices to this team in a long while to not allow Murray to start regardless of Felix's health status.

He's just a better player in just about every aspect.

And he finishes runs like a champ. The way he ran over the DB on that little swing pass was just beautiful.

If he stays healthy, teams will come away playing Dallas pretty sore. Between him and Dez, I can't see many DBs looking forward to facing the Cowboys. They're both just punishers.
  3. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,937 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    Im torn because Felix is just ... explosive. But, Demarco has earned a starting role, I believe. I just hope we don't lose one or the other.
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Felix can still be explosive as a 3rd down back, but there is no question who should receive the bulk of the carries.
  5. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm torn, Murray has clearly earned the starting job. but there is an old adage in the NFL, a veteran is not supposed to lose his job while injured. Dosent mean I agree with it but Garrett played for a long time and probably has some of that mind set.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I say Murray should be the starter, he's A COMPLETE running back! If you want Felix on the field put him out there along with Murray.
  7. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

468 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    And how did Tom Brady get his first start?...just asking...;)
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,559 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    To be fair, it's no coincidence that Murray has done all this damage after Holland and Fiametta were both playing. I'd be curious to see what Felix could do with some of the holes that Murray has had.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no doubt in my mind that Garrett is going to make Murray the "starter." I think he's doing the right thing in not naming a starter while Felix is on the sideline. What purpose does it serve?
  10. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    there's nothing wrong with both running backs getting 15 carries per game, with exceptions for when one guy gets hot.

both players are running with a combination of patience and authority, both can make plays in the passing game, and both have the speed to go the distance.

with better offensive line play and a real fullback giving the runners good blocks, jones and murray could make our running game something special.
  11. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    1,595 Likes Received
    If it makes Felix better, he can be the token starter. The best RB should get the most carries regardless of who starts the game.
  12. UVAwahoos

UVAwahoos Benched

2,163 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why would Ginger essentially humiliate Felix like that to the media by demoting him while injured? Ginger is an awful coach, but he played in this league and I don't think you'll ever see him create a controversy about things like this. He's too savvy to buy into the media's games.
  13. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    What?

If Felix lost his job it wasn't while he was injured.

It was while he was healthy doing very little as the featured back in this offense.

Felix is better served as a guy who carries only a few times anyway........provided he can withstand that.
  14. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Humiliate?

So the team takes a hit to protect someone's feelings?

Please. Murray is clearly the best back right now. There is no question about it.

Last I checked, Dallas was trying to win games not make sure everyone got their Tee-Ball trophy for being on the team.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    You are not supposed to lost your starting job because of injury.

That said I'd start Murray from here on. :eek::
  16. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    we're going to have the best one-two punch in the league. can't wait to line them up together on third down shot gun and fake one screen to one of them and go to the other side. the more weapons we have the better IMHO.
  17. starchamber

starchamber Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I haven't seen anything in the way of explosiveness from Felix on a consistant basis this season. He shows flashes and then gets injured. Murray deserves to start. If Garrett puts felix back into the lineup as the starter, it says alot about his Offensive IQ. As if much has not been said already...
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    I agree ....
  19. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,096 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    So much for the culture change in Dallas, Garrett = Wade 2.0 if he runs Felix out there to start on Sunday
  20. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yes if Felix lost his starting job it would be while he was injured.