1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett says Marty B did a good job with Cowboys, will do a nice job with Giant

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 2, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    7,008 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said former backup tight end Martellus Bennett is going to do a nice job for the Giants and will play in the NFL for a long time.

He said Bennett did what he was asked to do with the Cowboys – run-block and pass-protect – while playing behind a seven-time Pro Bowl tight end in Jason Witten.

“We drafted Martellus, and Martellus had a role as our backup tight end, or our second tight end,” Garrett said. “We used him a lot. The personnel group that he played in most, what we called ‘12’ – two receivers, two tight ends and one back – we probably used that more than any other personnel group in our offense, and certainly we used that personnel group probably as much as anybody in our league. Martellus’ role for us was to be a run-blocker. He did that very well. And a pass protector. He did that very well. And when he had opportunities to catch the ball, for the most part he did a pretty good job.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...iants-and-play-in-nfl-a-lo.html#storylink=cpy
  2. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jason being PC is all. A "good" job is not the same as the way he talked in this morning's presser about guys like Romo and Orton, by comparison.
    "We feel like we have an 'outstanding' starting quarterback
    and an 'outstanding' number two 2 quarterback..."
    Marty B being given his generic props, since there's nothing gained by being critical of him. That in answer to the question, "Why didn't it work for Martellus here?" That's what I got from it. Bennett's gone. As Jason likes to say, "We're focused on the team we have now." He doesn't spend much time dwelling on the past. Marty B is the past.

JG said he'd do a "nice" job in NY. Not exactly a rousing endorsement.
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sadly Romo couldn't make MartyB any better than poor.
  4. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    John Garrett says the same thing. And I get the feeling he was a pain in the neck to coach.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,532 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    The kid is a great blocker so that means he puts in good effort.

The problem is that he is not a natural receiver. He didn't really flash those skills in college and he didn't do it in games here. Maybe he'll finally start to get it but I'm not holding my breath. He probably got good coaching here from coach Garrett - he seems to have done a good job with Phillips and Hanna. Garrett managed to turn Hanna from a maligned receiver into a very productive receiving threat in one TC.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    From what I remember, people were raving about his athletic ability, not his blocking when he was drafted. Seems like we just made the best of a lazy slouch
  8. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,066 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Marty B sucks and Garrett knows it. The only thing good about Marty was his ability to block.
  9. nablives

nablives Active Member

765 Messages
    108 Likes Received
  10. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    I like how u "accidentally" misspelled that word;)