1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett talks about Morris Claiborne, what he can do and how Cowboys reeled him

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 27, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett described Morris Claiborne, the LSU cornerback who became the team’s first-round pick Thursday night in the NFL draft.

“I think conversation starts with the fact that this guy was the second player on our draft board, and we just thought he was an outstanding football player," Garrett said in a press conference Thursday night at Valley Ranch. "He’s an outstanding young man. He plays a position that we regard as being really, really important. I think people around the league regard it as being an important position. I think they always have, particularly in this day and age with how teams are throwing the football, you can’t have enough guys who can cover. He’s an elite cover corner.”

Garrett said the Cowboys used their contacts at LSU for a read on Claiborne.

“Again, he was the only player in our minds that we were going to go up and make a trade to move up in the draft for,” he said. “We have some very good contacts at LSU. We feel like we know this player really, really well and the kind of person he is and the kind of player he is and the kind of player he can be. When you’re talking about big corners, corners who are close to six feet tall or as long as he is, or as fluid as he is, or as athletic as he is, the ball skills that he has, the change of direction, the ability to plant and drive, to play off, to play press, to be a playmaker; he’s a kickoff return guy. He’s an outstanding football player and an outstanding young man and we’re really, really fortunate to be able to go get him.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-and-how-cowboys-reeled-hi.html#storylink=cpy
  2. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They practiced drafting? That's a first. Well done coach!
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    :confused:
  4. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whenever I read anything Garrett has said, I like to read it out loud...in Garrett's-robot-voice.
  5. Chocolate Lab

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    "Oustanding."
  6. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Sounds like a process . . . . . . . . in process speak . . . . . .
  7. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Read the article.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,602 Likes Received
    Haven't read yet......predicting that Claiborn does a lot of things well.
  9. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

425 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    They're not really going to be dumb enough or desperate enough to use this guy on kick-off returns are they ? Everybody who does that who is any good usually ends up getting injured (a la Dez and I think Felix too).
  10. Chocolate Lab

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    I did read it. Never saw where this was the first time they'd mocked different scenarios. Would you point that part out for me?
  11. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  12. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,908 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    practice drafting or mock drafting has been done for years, as far back as Landry