1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: James Hanna emerged thanks to Kyle Orton, says Cowboys' TE coach Wes Phillips

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    James Hanna began to deliver on the Cowboys’ investment in him late last season, and one person they can thank is backup quarterback Kyle Orton.

“People saw the end result where he started making plays, but we also saw when he was running scout team at the beginning of the year and Kyle Orton is on him every single day about how to practice, how to be a pro, how to work,” Phillips said Thursday in meeting reporters for the first time in his new job. “He really made some strides.”

“He really impressed us as far as his work ethic and how he went about his job,” Phillips said. “Learning how to finish, learning how to go about meetings and study and prepare, all those sort of things. He’s a very intelligent guy, and we’re looking forward to continuing his development.”

2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    I think Kyle Orton is a lot better QB then most on this board give him credit for.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Nice to see growth and development out of a TE besides Witten...
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    The way people keep talking about Hannah, you'd think the dude had 80 catches, not 11.

We heard this with Bennett and John Phillips. Hopefully, this time, it's for real.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    One of the 2-3 best backups in the league and a solid pro. Just a great guy to have your team.

Hannah was just a rookie, so we should see some nice growth this year. I think he is potentially the most explosive TE that we've had in a long time, but there's a guy who get 90+ catches every year in front of him.
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,660 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    In order to have a chance to get 80 catches Hanna has to start and that's not happening with Witten on the team. It didn't happen for Bennett either but you saw when he got a chance that his numbers went up. So it's kind of hard for Phillips, Bennett and Hanna to shine when they don't have the opportunity to shine.
  7. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Interesting read on how leadership can push other players
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,899 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    We're really using the word "emerged" really loosely here, aren't we?
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,129 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    I never heard anything like that when someone described Bennett.
  10. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    No one ever said THAT about Phillips either. You know what my point is, but feel free to take your shot. :laugh2:
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    yeah bennett really shined when given the chance. NOT
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Phillips before his knee injury was turning heads a couple of years ago.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    yeah he was. His story is a cautionary tale that not everyone returns 100% from a serious injury
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Any TE that comes in here is going to be a role player as long as Witten is getting 80 - 100 catches a year. If we get a 2nd TE that can rack up 500 yards and a few TD's, that would be a gigantic success.

Hanna is lucky that he has some unique physical tools, but so did Bennett. Phillips was never going to be anything more than a role player, I have no idea what people saw there other than the fact that he wasn't Bennett.
  16. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,660 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    He had 55 catches for over 600 yards and 5 TD's. His previous career high was 33 catches for a little over 200 yards and he had 4 career TD's. Yeah I would say he got a chance to shine as a TE he did. I know you hate to give any ex-Cowboy credit but you can see when given a chance he almost tripled his career high in yardage, surpassed the number of TD's he had in his career in 1 season and caught almost twice as many passes.

And LOL at using NOT. Who says that anymore. Is this 2005 or 2013.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    957 Likes Received

Ok no offense to this idea but his previous high of 33 was as a back up. He didn't start, he wasn't the main TE, and he would have been the 3rd or 4th option most likely on most plays that he did play in.

So the fact that with the Giants this year he was the STARTER, there for the main TE, and he only improved his best by 22 catches over 16 games? Sorry but color me not real impressed.

The TDs was kind of impressive. Although most of those game in the first few games didn't it?
  18. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,380 Messages
    161 Likes Received

Hmmmmm. if his high was 33 for 200 thats a 6ypc avg, at 55rec at 600yds thats almost 11ypc. I would say that a big improvement.
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    I guess. It's not that big a deal to me when its factored in that one set of stats is as a back up to one of the best TEs of all time and the other is as a starter.
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think Hanna will end up being much more productive as a pass catcher than Bennett ever was. I think we rolled the dice that we could convert him into a speed mismatch threat like a Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham against LBs and a size mismatch threat against DBs.

I think the key to really making it go is using the 2-TE offense as a passing offense which we never could do with Bennett. To really make it go with the mismatch we really want (LBs on Hanna) we need to keep defenses in their base alignment which means we need a credible running attack. This means Hanna has to at least be a passable blocker. Wes Phillips needs to work really hard with him on blocking technique and Woicik needs to work really hard with him on developing NFL type strength.

I think the 5 best weapons we can put out there now in one package is a toss-up between Hanna/Witten/Dez/Austin/Murray and Harris/Witten/Dez/Austin/Murray. Ideally I'd like to see us line up 2-TEs about 60% of the time. We could then maybe run 3 WRs about 30% of the time and then go jumbo with FB about 10% of the time.

I really like the dimension that Hanna could bring to this offense. I still remember that Pittsburgh LB trailing him helplessly on that crossing pattern - it was so easy with that mismatch.