1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST' Jennifer Engel:George signing supercharges Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    George signing supercharges Cowboys

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

[IMG]

IRVING -
    Almost everything the Cowboys had done this off-season screamed, "Wait 'til next year."

From trading out of the first round in the draft, to passing up on free-agent cornerback Bobby Taylor, to trading for the NFL's latest baseball-player-turned-hot-quarterback-prospect Drew Henson, all signs seemed to point to the Cowboys gearing up for a Super Bowl run in 2005, not 2004.
    Until Friday.

By signing running back Eddie George to a one-year, $2.2 million deal, which could net him $5.1 million if he reaches all his incentives, the Cowboys shot down playing-for-2005 theories. And just in case anybody had any lingering doubts, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones added an exclamation point at George's news conference Friday at Valley Ranch.

"The first time we got a chance to shake hands today, we did it in front of five Super Bowl trophies," a beaming Jones said. "We were both thinking the same thing: We need to get a sixth one so he can be a part of it."
    Jones has abstained from Super Bowl talk for almost 18 months, not hinting at, not alluding to, not predicting about. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

When the Cowboys' aggressive and diligent pursuit of George began Wednesday, however, a key talking point was championship chasing. Jones, vice president Stephen Jones, coach Bill Parcells and running backs coach Maurice Carthon all called to deliver a single message to George. You are a key part to helping us be better than we are, and we are pretty good.

Talks George had with former Ohio State teammate and current Cowboys wideout Terry Glenn as well as with off-season additions Keyshawn Johnson and Marcellus Wiley had similar themes. They are convinced Dallas can win it. And they convinced George.

"I am so excited that he is going to be a part of this," Glenn said. "We already began building something, and adding him and Key only gets us that much closer."
    Which is a big reason why George has joined the Cowboys rather than the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants or Oakland Raiders, the other teams that called after the Tennessee Titans released him Wednesday.

"Really, Dallas was the first to step up, the first to show interest, and that means a lot to me," George said. "They weren't saying, 'We'll see you at a later date' or 'We don't know for sure.' They stepped up, and, when a team does that, it makes you want to be a part of the team. That's the thing that is exciting about the opportunity."'

For the first time since Parcells was hired, the Cowboys have a proven, veteran tailback capable of being the carry-the-mail player so crucial in his offense. George is a punishing, physical runner. Many of his 10,000-plus NFL yards have come between the tackles. He is every adjective used to describe a typical Parcells back.
    He is also going to be 31 in September.

It is that number, along with his 3.3 yards per carry last season, that prompted the Titans to dump him and others to wonder how much George has left. Is he still capable of being the guy? George has grown tired of people asking and others telling him that his best days are behind him.

"Everything I've done before," George said, when asked what he can still do. "I mean, I can't carry the ball 45 times."

The beauty of the Cowboys' situation is he will not have to. The running game will be by committee, with Richie Anderson, Aveion Cason and highly touted rookie Julius Jones also getting touches. Jerry Jones said the Cowboys were ready to go into the season with that group before George became available. One of the concerns with signing George was stunting the growth of Julius Jones, but the Cowboys decided that George was a perfect mentor for Jones as well as a perfect back for Parcells.

So is George all right with splitting time with Jones?
    "I'm going to have to be," George said. "I mean, that is the situation."
    It is and it isn't.

The way things work under Parcells is the best player plays. So if Jones is the belle of training camp, you can bet he'll see a majority of the carries during the season. If George is, it will be good for his pocketbook. If George rushes for 1,300 yards and 10 touchdowns, he stands to get almost $3 million in bonuses. If he simply matches his totals (1,031 yards and five touchdowns) from last season, he'll earn almost $2 million in bonuses.

"[Parcells] said the best is going to play. I can respect that," George said. "The object is to win."

What is clear now, by the signing of George, is the object is not simply to win but to win now.

Eddie George by the numbers

3.7 Career yards-per- carry rushing average
    36 Career 100-yard rushing games
    128 Consecutive starts
    64 Career rushing touchdowns
    10,009 Career rushing yards
  2. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I like the signing.
    Just the thought of a one-two punch of George and Jones is an exciting thought. Kind of reminds me of Carolina.
    Does George have any 1200-1300 yard seasons left in the tank? Could Jones do a 1200-1300 yard season? Who knows. But I do believe that together they could do at least 1500-2000 yards.

Thoughts?
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    I like it too. George is a good runner in limited carries where he needs first downs or to get into the end zone. Julius Jones is more of a breakaway back. I dont know if we want young Jones smashing intot he line on 3rd and 1. George is ideal for that. I see this is as like the Raiders SB team. Run alot, get alot of yards with a few different players, all frtesh, all getting carries when they can make the most difference for the offense. Wear down defense and finish top 5 in rushing yards.

EG also protects us in case of injury. Had we lost Jones we would have been totally hosed. Now we have insurance against that.

All that and we dont get to carry over cap space so we might as well use it where we need depth. We did at RB but we dont anymore.

I want to see the team be judicious tho and not allow EG to make many of those incentives. That paying later crap screws the cap.
  4. cowboyfan4life_mark

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Exactly my point.
    It would be a little easier to game plan. If a team has a strong D-line and LBers, then Jones could do well (screens and such). If the team isn't as strong, then George could almost pick and choose his pathes.
    I am not saying that George was the last piece of a Super Bowl run, but he just might put us over the top.
    This is going to be a interesting year.
  5. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,085 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    <snip>

Does anybody know if these are "hard to reach" incentives? We could potentially be using George as a method to push 3 million dollars into next year's cap.
  6. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,604 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I really like the signing too. At the beginning of the offseaon I wanted Duce as our veteran back. I would still prefer Duce over George, but at least we have a veteran back in here. At times last year George looke at the end of the road, but at times he showed he has some left. I expect him and Julius to split carries and the hot hand get the majority of the carries in the 4th. I think Julius and Jones are an excellent pairing. If we can get could lineman play, I think these guys will put up good numbers for us.
  7. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Isn't it 1500 rush yards and ten TDs?
  8. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,665 Messages
    56 Likes Received

I agree JT. We'll see if EG has anything left in the tank. If he does, it sets up the scenario you described. In addition, if he is finally the guy that can get us the 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, I want him! I don't care if he only runs for 200 yards this season if the yards come on 150 3rd and 1 situations :D .

Jennifer is correct too. Many of us has said that we didn't think Parcells would not make as hard of a push as he can every year. We may have a better chance in 2005, but no way will he give up on 2004.
  9. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So where does this leave Anderson?

I don't like the idea of 2 old backs possibly taking away carries from Jones when J.J. might be the only back to be able to break a long one and I sure don't want to see Anderson trying to block a LBer again...

EG does still appear hungry, he has playoff & Superbowl experence and is a positive type person...

However those insentives don't look attainable to me...

I would bet J.Jones gets the majority of carries...

EG might get 600yards...20 catches 4-5 TD's...
  10. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The ranks are closing, Antonio.

You best get aboard. Fast.
  11. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    1300 and 10 TDs.

And if he hits those numbers he's a bargain at $5mil, because barring a complete meltdown by the defense we're almost a lock for the playoffs if he's that successful.
  12. cowboyfan4life_mark

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    In a post labeld "George: has a lot left in the tank", it was stated that it was 1300yds and ten TD's for a 3million dollar bonus. And I remember reading somewhere that if he matches his totals of last year of 1029yds and so many TD's, that it would still be a 2mil dollar bonus.
    Could be wrong though.
  13. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the correction, and I am assuming that's 1300 rushing yardage, and not all purpose yardage.
  14. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He better or else.................

I just hope Antonio can take on an apprenticeship role. He can use the knowledge he acquires to push himself past guys like Glenn and Key whom are getting up in age. Some guys just don't get it. Troy tried to push Emmitt out the door instead of shadowing Emmits every move in the off-season (working out etc).

Quincy Carter latched himself to Vinny the minute he arrived at Valley Ranch. He play will dictate his future in Dallas, but it doesn't go unnoticed that Carter endered himself to Richie and now Vinny. I hope Julius Jones has been following Richie's every move this off-season. I also hope he Picks George's mind and learns the nuances of the game.

Roy Williams was very lucky to have Woody. I just hope Antonio gets his head out the clouds and follows suite.
  15. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly, QCard.

AB's time will come, and with two lead receivers just turned 32 and 30, it will come fairly soon.

His task is preparing himself to be ready when it does come....which means taking all the route-learning, D-reading reps Haley gives him, and not squawking about it!...and being content that whoever the so-called third receiver is, he is going to see considerable action.
  16. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells team = hierarchy

Some guys just don't get it. I hope Antonio's mother spoke or knocked some sense into his head. I read an article where she unequivocally stated her son messed up.

I just hope he contrite and humbles himself. If not I hope the Bills go into a free fall this season so we can draft the best Wr prosepct :D
  17. Dion2288

Dion2288 Active Member

192 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I second that motion. I have become a Cowboy and whoever plays the Bills fan this year.
  18. Darrel

Darrel New Member

15 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the EG signing, I saw a stat on ESPN that said when BP has someone carry the ball 20+ times hes won a ton, with us last year when running 20+ ;it was 100%.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,334 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Good signing, but it still all comes down to the OL...and we can't just run left...the right side of the line must perform better than last year.
  20. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,334 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    ??? 81 yards a game and 10 td's rushing ??? I'd be happy with those stats from Eddie George after what we had last season, but I sure wouldn't call it a bargain for 5 million dollars. There aren't many 5 million/season RB's who could satisfy their bosses with 1300 yards and 10 td's, imo.