1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jennifer Floyd Engel: GM Jerry isn't the way to go

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cbz40, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeah they were bad as I would have myself believe, most of those drafts bottlenecked into three straight 5-11 seasons among other factors, I sure don't want no mo-a-dat. This is what I'm AFRAID the near future might be like, now that Jerry is controlling the ship again. But who knows, stranger things have happen. What happens after T-Giving will tell the truth, it always does.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I agree with that ..... goodnight
  3. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Australian billionaire Peter J. Daniels in his book titled: "How to be happy though rich" chapter ten titled: Wealth means criticism says: For the person of wealth-anyone who has more than someone else-there are three things of which you can be certain:

1. You are going to die sometime.
    2. You are going to pay taxes.
    3. You are going to be criticized.

The unfortunate thing about criticism, which is rarely exposed, is that it is usually loveless, because by it's very action it pulls down the victim and elevates the accuser. Criticisim "is the great tool of the unmotivated."

If the critic expects their voice to be acknowleged with even an once of seriousness or sincerety, they must first hold themselves to a standard equal to or higher than that which they hold those they criticize.
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Jerry's fault.

Not Jerry's fault. The Galloway trade was a nice effort that went against eveything Jerry should have learned from Jimmy. Most everyting he did in the dark ages qualifies for that. But it's not his fault that Galloway fell to pieces. Galloway was a fantastic receiver, who is still playing at a high level today. The price was outrageous, but who knows what the outcome would have been without that freak injury?
  5. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I think the main problem arises when people state that Jerry is a horrible GM, period. That sort of absolute statement is always polarizing, and almost always false.

Jerry had a horrible stretch as a GM, (5 decent players out of many is not a badge of honor, no matter what anyone says) but he has ALWAYS been the general manager for the Dallas Cowboys. During his tenure as such, we have won three super bowls, been close to a 4th, had one of the NFL's worst stretches, and then hired a HOF coach who did a masterful job turning a team that was almost completely devoid of NFL talent back into a contender.

There is good and bad there.

The trouble comes, when people start speculating about the amount of control Jerry had relative to the success of the team. For those that don't like Jerry, it is assumed that Jerry has little to do with the makeup of the team when the team is successful. This MIGHT be true. But there is no way to prove it. Jerry has always maintained a measure of control over his team. He has always been the general manager. You can't write off the good as 100% attributable to Jimmy and Bill anymore than the other side can write off the bad as 100% Campo, Switzer, and Gailey. Jerry hired ALL of them. Why is that ignored?

Jerry is a good GM that had a terrible stretch. No current GM has skins on the wall like Jerry, except for Scott Pioli. I do not believe that you get to be as successful as Jerry by being pig-headed and "my way or the highway" all the time. Hiring Bill, listening to him, having a STRONG desire to keep him around, all suggest that Jerry has learned, and knows what it takes, and has gotten more patient with age. Going back in time and assuming it's going to be like it was pre-Bill suggests that Jerry is an idiot, and didn't learn anything the past 4 years from our fantastic head coach. If you despise Jerry, I guess that's where you'll end up. But it's not realistic.
  6. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received

And it was a guarantee that we would've drafted the exact same players that Seattle drafted? I kind of doubt it.
  7. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess that terrible stretch just coincidentally occurred right when Jimmy left and ended right when BP was hired. Interesting.

As for "skins on the wall". Well, that would be the case if you credit him for all the success we had in the early to mid 90's. Although it is extremely debateable as to how much of that was due to his incredible acumen as a GM.

I do credit Jerry for realizing his way of doing things was a failure and for bringing in BP.

Going forward, I'm not saying that we are going to end up back at 5-11 in a couple of years. But I do believe there are indications Jerry is taking an increased role again. What that results in is yet to be seen, but I will say there is a bit of concern over it.
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Duely noted, ... now relax and enjoy the new sheriff in town !!

For a while anyways. :D
  9. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    He was the one who brought up those players ..... not me.
  10. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Yet BP's best record as a Cowboys coach came with that team that was created in that "terrible stretch" .....

;)
  11. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Will do...let's get on the Wade-wagon :flagwave:
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    That's sad, .. we got punked !
  13. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotcha
  14. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    This is the best post I have seen from you .....

GREAT POST!!!!
  15. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    That was not my point. Trading multiple first round choices has never paid off for anyone and the return off that one player would have to be huge to compensate.

It was a gamble indeed. And as much as Mister Jones likes to use his gambler persona as a defense to critics, that move set this franchise back and had a very low probability of success.

The only way to get out of the cap prison we were in was to build young talent. He failed to do that and part of the reason was because he sacrificed two huge building blocks.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    i truly think so many things are starting over again. i wish in all this "new found awakening" we're undergoing you'd cut jones some slack. yes, if he gets "hands on" - call him on it. i'm not saying to NOT do that. what i *am* trying to say are moves like keeping sprano and bowles - look around the league and see if it's common practice and not instantly run to "bad jones!"

this is where i can get defensive of jones because the attack - to me - makes ZERO sense. what he did in this instance every other owner/gm does, yet for jones it's wrong. it's not defending jones in this instance, it's attacking your "logic" because i simply don't understand how 31 owners can make a move and it's ok.

jones makes it and it's bad / control freak jones all over again.

this is why so many of us see "agenda" because *rules* don't seem to be applied evenly, only against jones.

for whatever it's worth.
  17. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Hey man I agree with your take on it ..... except that Jerry did get us out of cap hell by taking huge hits 2 years in a row ..... by the time Bill got here we were in good shape cap wise.

I think Jerry's big mistake was that he still felt like he could get Troy Aikman back to the big game one more time ..... he sacrificed a few years of our rebuilding time to try and get his Franchise QB (which are very rare) one more shot.

In all truthfulness he prolly should have tore this team down the minute Mike went down ..... but hindsight is always 20/20 and I do not know if I could have decided to rebuild when I still had Troy Aikman as QB.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    This has turned into an amazingly successful thread as far as traffic and responses.
  19. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Ya got five or six extremely stubborn men who are very passionate about the Cowboys on this thread ............

:cool:

But it looks like we somehow all came to a meeting place. I wish all the threads would end this way.
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Agreed. It has been fun to watch.