1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: NY Giants playing with momentum

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,538 Messages
    3,384 Likes Received
    By Carlos Mendez

cmendez@star-telegram.com

There is no mistaking the optimism in the New York Giants.

They nearly beat the unbeaten Green Bay Packers on Sunday, and thanks to the Cowboys' loss at Arizona on the same day, they remain a game behind Dallas for the lead in the NFC East.

And now they get to play the Cowboys.

"I don't really believe in having moral victories because this is a football game that we should have won," running back Brandon Jacobs told reporters after the game. "It hurts to lose, but seeing the way we can come out and play against an undefeated team like we did today, I think that gives us some momentum going forward."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/06/3576206/ny-giants-playing-with-momentum.html#ixzz1frdEFuiS
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Ah. The momentum of a four game losing streak going on the road, against the team that's leading your division and can essentially eliminate you with a victory. It must be nice to play with that wind behind your back.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,025 Messages
    1,585 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing. Since when did people refer to team on a 4 game losing streak as playing with momentum? I expect a knock down drag out fight between these 2 division rivals but claiming the NY team is playing with momentum? come on :laugh2:
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,508 Messages
    2,036 Likes Received
    It's Brandon Jacobs. Surely we weren't expecting something sensible to come out of his mouth. :)
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,170 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:
    if we lose sunday, you will be among the first to say that the giants were not as bad a team as their record indicates, that they had a lot of momentum having played the packers tough :rolleyes:
  6. Doomsday101

75,025 Messages
    1,585 Likes Received
    Myself I don't think the Giants are a bad team, they have clearly hit a rough patch and trying to fight their way out of it. Just like Dallas they control their own fate. I fully expect to see a high intensity game between these 2 teams.

However it is funny to hear anyone claim a team on a 4 game slide is playing with Momentum.
  7. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

842 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    :bravo:
  8. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    No, because that's the sort of thing stupid people say. Like saying the Cowboys are playing poorly after an overtime loss snaps a four game win streak.

I will say the Giants aren't a bad team, because they're not. I won't point to the momentum of their four game losing streak as the reason they won, though. I'm capable of holding two competing notions in my head at the same time.
  9. visionary

7,170 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    two competing notions..

hmm.... you mean like saying that the cowboys were not playing great in the last few games but were winning because they happened to be playing worse teams?

gotcha
  10. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Ah. I should have been clearer for you, visionary. The competing notions should also be accurate ones.

Nice hedge on the not-playing-great part, though.
  11. Doomsday101

75,025 Messages
    1,585 Likes Received
    I guess if NY had beaten the Redskins and Seahawks they would be in 1st but they didn't
  12. jzcowboy

jzcowboy Active Member

898 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Remember, he thought the Eiffel tower was in London
  13. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Lol! I'd forgotten all about that!
  14. visionary

7,170 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    Quite a quandary

I knew this one would be tough for you

most english majors i know cant keep 2 competing notions straight for more than a minute

;)
  15. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    It's a real brain teaser...

[IMG]
  16. visionary

7,170 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    yep
    a real brain teaser :laugh1:
  17. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received

:)

Love that jpg.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,320 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    The thing I honestly do not understand is the respect the Giants get for nearly beating the Packers. They lost. They also lost to The Eagles who are free falling right now, the 49ers (a team Dallas beat) and got blown completely away by the Saints. Why exactly does that put them on a roll?
  19. Idgit

28,022 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Look what it did for Tampa a few weeks ago.
  20. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,685 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Wait until we eke out a close win vs the Giants and Tampa rolls Jacksonville.

They will be playing better than us then, too.