1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spears ready to go for season opener

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,886 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    August 26, 2010
    Spears ready to go for season opener
    Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears said he will play in the season opener against the Redskins. Spears sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in practice Aug. 6 and has been on the sideline since, rehabbing.

“It’s been sort of a blessing in disguise, because I’ve been able to watch football from a different angle, especially during the game,” Spears said. “You don’t actually get to watch live games, but I’ve had the opportunity to do that, and I think it makes a difference. I’ve seen things I can do better along with watching film of yourself. So I think it’s cool, and I’ve been telling [Jason] Hatcher some stuff he can do, too.”

Spears, who has not missed a regular-season game since the Cowboys made him a first-round pick in 2005, has been replaced by Hatcher.

-- Charean Williams

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...dy-to-go-for-season-opener.html#ixzz0xu02X42i
  2. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    looking forward to having Spears back, that should help against the run for sure.
  3. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Umm... okay. Hatcher and Bowen have been doing a good job since he's been out. It'll be nice to have him back, but I think we could still handle Washington without him.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spears is the best defensive end run defender Dallas has, Wade will tell you that.

Folks if you don't stop the run, you won't win.
  5. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know I said what I did, which seems contradictory to what you said, but I agree with this statement too. And this is why some Cowboys fans don't appreciate Spears' contribution. I mean, when you stuff a run, you don't get to call it some mean-sounding stat and lead the league in it. Instead, you have to rely on ProFootballFocus to read the auspices and then compute a chart using some numerical fudging that states you were one of the best defensive ends in the conference that year.
  6. Jed_70

Jed_70 New Member

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Finally a little good news regarding injuries. Plus it's looking like Bryant will be close to 100% for week 1 as well.

Hopefully we don't have anymore setbacks during the remainder of preseason.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We need him back badly. San Diego and Houston just completely blew our defense off the ball head up in the running game.

Hatcher is what he is ... a situational nickel rusher and a rotation guy who can give Spears a breather for a series or two.