1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Tanner will be hard to beat out for Cowboys' third RB spot, says Stephen Jones

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 31, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,163 Messages
    6,972 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

The Cowboys brought in two running backs to compete with him, but Phillip Tanner is going to be hard to beat out for the third spot, Stephen Jones says.
    “Tanner’s a hard-working guy, and he does a good job for Joe DeCamillis,” Jones said. “Good luck to the guy trying to unseat him. He’d better bring his lunch pail because it’s going to be a hard task to unseat him.”

Tanner, in his second year after making the team last year undrafted out of Middle Tennessee State, led the Cowboys in preseason rushing last year.

“We think that will really do wonders for our kicking game, to let them work on that from the get-go,” Jones said, including Dez Bryant on punt returns. “We didn’t do that with Felix last year because he was a starting running back. But I think that will make a big difference for us this year. Both of those guys were tops coming out of college. When they work on it with Joe every day, they will make a big difference in special teams.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...rb-spot-says-stephen-jones.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,708 Messages
    9,943 Likes Received
    And I give you all that is wrong with your Dallas Cowboys.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    (looking around... not knowing exactly what RS is talking about)
  4. Risen Star

22,708 Messages
    9,943 Likes Received
    I'm talking about the Joneses being so involved with our personnel.

I shouldn't have to tell you that.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    What Gus is saying is that we're missing the point. What Gus is saying is that we all heard the rumors that they want Dez and Felix to play Special Teams because they need more big plays. Well, none of us wants to think that they're gonna send Felix (a former #1) back there because he isn't good enough to start, and Dez because he's expendable with all his troubles. But what Gus is saying is that what they're trying to do is convince US that it's for more big plays rather than they are expendable. Us, a bunch of college-educated sports experts! :D
  6. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,439 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    I like tanner! I watched him in preseason last year. Hope he can step up huge. We'll most likely not have felix next year.
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    Oh-Okay.

I see the big problem Stephen Jones created by commenting on Tanner.

(Actually I don't, but to keep RS amused, I'm saying that I did... Shhhh)
  8. Risen Star

22,708 Messages
    9,943 Likes Received
    Once again you completely missed the point.
  9. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    No, I'm pretty sure he got it....agenda and all!

:laugh2:
  10. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received

:bow:
  11. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No one sees why it's a problem that the GM (pseudo-GM?) announces to a player that his job is basically safe?

This isn't Tony Romo's spot that we're guaranteeing. Tanner should feel that his job is very much at stake and the other RBs behind him should feel like they have a legit shot to win that 3rd RB job.

I think you guys just don't want to hear complaining so you gloss over this stuff.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    I think they like Dunbar and Wesley and would not mind seeing one break through.
  13. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    One of them will be on the team before the season is over. All three of those guys are injury prone.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Really? Did you even read the quote? He didn't guarantee anything, he pointed out how really good the guy has been since he's been on the team and how it won't be easy to beat him out. Do realize that DeCamillis might have the guy protect the punter on STs? That's how impressed they are by his blocking. One of the most important things a rb must do that gets overlooked by fans.

15. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with the owner of the team saying something about one of the players.
  16. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
  17. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    May I tell you what's wrong with YOUR Philadelphia eagles?
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,248 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Ok so our psuedo - GM does not go around saying "you all suck we will replace you all unless you get your crap together." All I saw was encouragement to the incumbent with a little motivation to the 3 other backs that they have to play balls to the walls. We do not know what tanner is doing that is securing his job, and we have no idea what the rooks are doing not to win the job.
  19. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    My problem is the implication that Felix Jones's job is safe and that Tanner is squarely "#3"-- especially now that Felix already failed one conditioning test.

Tanner should be allowed to compete for the #2 spot and Hell the #1 spot if Murray slumps.

Anyway, I don't care what the excuse is, Jones needs to be returning kickoffs because he's good at it.

I'm glad they realized Jones is much better at KR's when used sparingly running from the LOS. I'm also looking forward to seeing Jones more at WR, but have all but given up on his future as a 10+ carry runner in Dallas. Jones just can't break tackles, so unless the OL gets dramatically better he's going to be very average except as a change of pace guy.