1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: While attrition hits WR ranks, Coale steps up with best practice of camp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,387 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    While attrition hits WR ranks, Coale steps up with best practice of camp, hopes to play Saturday
    by Jimmy Burch

On a day when starter Dez Bryant and two other Cowboys’ receivers left practice with injuries, the workload increased for Danny Coale, a rookie fifth-round pick from Virginia Tech who has battled foot and quad injuries during training camp.

Coale has yet to play in a pre-season game but took lots of snaps in today’s morning practice, many of them with the first-team offense.

Asked if he ran more routes today against the Chargers than he has during the rest of camp, Coale said: “I think that’s safe to say.”

The good news? Coale’s surgically repaired foot did not howl at him at the end of the day despite the extra workload.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...amp-hopes-to-play-saturday.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'm really anxious to see this young man play.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I know about Dez and Holmes. Who is the other injured wr?
  4. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,201 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Do you mean Austin?

A big +1 on wanting to see Coale finally play.
  5. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,536 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Donavan Kemp
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Oh ok.....who?
  7. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Good to see that Coale is going to play. Hopefully he brings it like Beasley has been doing.

With Holmes being hurt now, he's probably going to be the odd man out.
  8. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

992 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    I DEFINITELY see them keeping 6 WR because of the uncertainty. But, FOR ONCE, I agree with not going out and getting a "name". Green Bay has the BEST WR corp in football. And, of the Top 5 guys on their depth chart, they were ALL DRAFTED BY GREEN BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all moan about developing our guys - let's actually see if they try that for once.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    I think this is Cole Beasleys competition IF they are only keeping 5 receivers.
  10. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,469 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    I'm confident that a youngster will step up this year. Remember a few years ago when we needed somebody to step up and Miles Austin lit the world on fire? Also, Tony has a way of bringing out the best in underappreciated receivers. I hope we give these guys a chance and don't panic by signing vets or guys off the waiver wire. As much of a revelation as Laurent Robinson was last year, I'd rather not see us go out and get another Laurent even if one is available. I'd rather us find our next Miles.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    It looked that way early in the season, but it looks to me like Beasley's already made this roster, regardless. You can tell Romo really likes him, and he has excellent breaks and runs really good routes.

The good news is, we have an opportunity to see what we've got now, finally, in Coale, too. He might also be a legitimate NFL WR. If he is, we might have gone from 2-deep to 4-deep at the position with good technical players who just need seasoning. If the guys can run routes and get where they're supposed to be, I like Romo's chances of getting them their balls. That didn't sound right, but you know what I'm saying.
  12. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,028 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Also we can forget about "stashing" or "sneaking" any of these bubble guys to the practice squad. I hope the Cowboys have learned that lesson.
  13. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I am too. I have a feeling he will be a keeper
  14. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I think Dwayne Harris will be the odd man out.
  15. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Dez,Miles,Beaz,Otree,Coale,Holmes
  16. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,907 Messages
    1,659 Likes Received
    Sorry my fellow mavs fan.

Harris brings too much value at this point and is underappreciated by many outside of Valley Ranch....imo.
  18. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

992 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    And, he's quietly turning into a pretty good punt returner. I don't know why they don't just make him the return man. PERIOD
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    No way. Unless he has a bad week or two coming up, he's earned a spot.

Miles
    Dez
    OTree
    Beasley
    Harris
    Coale/Holmes
  20. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,146 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I agree. It'll come down to Coale vs Holmes for the last spot. Coale has the edge because they invested a draft pick on him. Holmes has the size and one year under his belt and plays on most special teams. We'll see...