1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FWST: Why are the Cowboys holding on to Matt Johnson? Jason Garrett explains

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 29, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,264 Messages
    7,103 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Jason Garrett was asked that question – not those words, exactly, but close – in Friday’s press conference.

His answer:

“We liked him coming out of school. He’s a smart guy. We think he’s a good athlete. We think he has good instincts playing the safety position. That’s why we drafted him. Then, from the limited number of practices we’ve had with him, he’s demonstrated those things. It doesn’t seem too big for him. He seems to be able to pick things up and play well in the limited action that he’s had. So we felt like, it’s a long season. Over the course of 16 weeks, a lot of different things happen, a lot of different injuries happen. You’ve got to be able to absorb those things. So we felt confident with what we’ve seen so far. So hopefully we can get him back and get him going.”

And will he be able to actually contribute this year? And how?

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...n-to-matt-johnson-jason-garrett-explains.html
  2. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,082 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    Doesn't seem like they are sure what to do with Matt Johnson. They can say all they want......but if they don't use Matt Johnson at all this year, especially with our safety situation, everything that they say is nothing more they heresay and won't believe it until I see it.
  3. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Active Member

200 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Lee and Carter both sat on the roster without playing for most of their first year. Lee has been a stud since and Carter looks to be following the same path. I understand they were both graded as top picks, but it comes down to you don't give up on players you believe in. I think they believe in Johnson.
  4. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

457 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I couldn't agree more. This is not a superbowl team (in my opinion) yet. Nor is the front office that great at picking talent that can play right away. However, what they do seem good at doing is picking playings that would be higher draft selections if not for injuries. They seem to be willing to take a chance when other teams move on from those players.

So keep the safety, let him learn in the "classroom", rehab, get stronger and let's see where we are two years from now. JMO...
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,285 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    Sure sounds like it. Garrett doesn't gush about players either so....
  6. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,507 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Well ... so far he seems like the next Justin Beriault....without the chronic knee.

Instead it's the hammy and then the back wich required injections.
  7. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    He better be Troy Polumalu, or at least Weddle!
  8. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anybody else read the quote in Garrett's voice? I catch myself doing it all the time. :lmao2:
  9. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    Guilty as charged :lmao:
  10. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,082 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    I would agree with you - however you can't really compare the skillset of Johnson to that of either Lee and Carter. Both Lee and Carter came from excellent NCAA programs and was projected as high round picks. As for Johnson many believe he was a reach since he came from a small school and as you can see his not really as durable either Lee or Carter.

Yes they may be believe that he has something. But I have my doubts. Especially when they easily gave up on Mana Silva who is more athletic and faster than Johnson, played NCAA ball and had 8 INTs as a safety in his senior year in college.
  11. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,007 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I can't believe so many people are willing to bash this guy when they have never even seen him play. The coaches have seen something they like and are willing to be patient with him. There are people on this board who think even if they have seen a player play, they are qualified to make a judgement on a particuliar player. Meanwhile, they struggle to get the pizza sign to light up on top of their car.

The coaches and scouts spend hours upon hours watching film and watching players practice. They have seen something in this kid. They are not cutting him, they are not putting him on the IR, they are preparing him to contibute. Those are the facts. Wether he will pan out or flame out is another story. Ultimately we have to trust the coaches and wait and see.
  12. lane

lane The Chairman

11,070 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    :bow:

just a spectacular post.
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Why are they "holding onto him"??

Seriously?

:laugh2:
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,152 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Waste of roster space... Sorry just MY opinion!
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If Kevin Ogletree is still on this team.. Matt gets at least 3 years.
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,117 Messages
    1,353 Likes Received
    So for a 4th round pick, people think this should happen?

1. Looks good to scouts.
    3. Injured.
    4. Looks good in practice.
    5. Injured.
    6. Cut him?

Yeah, that's just stupid. That he even had to explain why he's on the roster is amazing. Our fans are idiots.
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    ..and our beat guys. I can't even imagine how someone sat in there and with a straight face asked that ******** question.

Of course, if some of our fans had their way we'd have cut half the team by now..
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Yes, they are.
  19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,078 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    So many people are willing to bash this guy BECAUSE they have never even seen him play.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Yea....he could be on practice squad right now and a vet - even if pickings are slim right now - could have that spot to add better depth. The guy just won't see the field until he's healthy, and nobody's going to claim him I wouldn't think.

That doesn't mean that down the road he can't be a good player, but right now, he's a nobody.

Well...Lee played in 14 games as a rookie, had a pick 6 and a forced fumble. I'm pretty sure he got hurt as well. Carter didn't play only because of injuries. Hard to compare them to Johnson imo.