1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gates to cut several major weapons programs

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 6, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,058 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates is proposing deep cuts to some big weapons programs such as the F-22 fighter jet as the Pentagon takes a hard look at how it spends money.

Gates announced a broad range of cuts Monday to weapons spending, saying he plans to cut programs ranging from a new helicopter for the president to ending production of the $140 billion F-22 fighter jet. The Army's modernization program would be scaled back, while a new satellite system and a search-and-rescue helicopter would be cut.

Gates says his budget will "profoundly reform" the way the Pentagon buys weapons and does business.

To fight new threats from insurgents, Gates is proposing more funding for special forces and other tools.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he is overhauling military spending to "profoundly reform how this department does business."

Outlining a $534 billion budget for 2009 that will slash funds for major weapons programs, Gates said Monday his moves amount to an "unorthodox approach" that would shift spending goals to concentrate on "wars we are in today and scenarios for the years ahead."

At a news conference to outline his budget, Gates says he closely consulted with President Barack Obama and top military leaders, but limited outside advice "because of the scope and significance of the changes."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090406/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/defense_budget
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,058 Likes Received
    from Reuters

Gates to propose U.S. defense add-ons, not just cuts

By Jim Wolf – 2 hrs 11 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Defense Secretary Robert Gates will propose to add "a lot of" U.S. capabilities even as he proposes to cut certain arms programs at a briefing starting at 1:30 p.m. (1530 GMT) on Monday, a Pentagon spokesman said.

"He's going to be adding a lot of things to capabilities that we need to," Bryan Whitman told reporters.

Whitman said Gates would make a "lengthy" opening statement about his proposals for the detailed fiscal 2010 budget that President Barack Obama is due to send to Congress in the next month or so.

Among other things, Gates will speak about the fledgling, multibillion-dollar U.S. missile defense shield, Whitman said.

Gates is widely expected to cut or delay some programs designed for conventional wars in exchange for boosting intelligence, surveillance, communications and reconnaissance programs that are designed to thwart insurgents in places like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The $10-billion-a-year missile shield, the Pentagon's costliest arms development project, was thrown into sharp focus by North Korea's rocket launch on Sunday.

Lockheed Martin Corp, Boeing Co and Northrop Grumman Corp -- respectively the Pentagon's three biggest suppliers by sales -- each have big stakes in elements of the layered anti-missile shield.

Wall Street, convinced that years of unbridled growth in U.S. defense budget are finally ending, has taken the stocks of big defense contractors lower in recent weeks.

The Standard & Poor's Aerospace and Defense Index was off 1.2 percent in noon trading on Monday.

Gates, facing spending constraints from the economic crisis, plans to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq and scale back dozens of weapons programs begun under the Bush administration.

The biggest contractors -- which also include General Dynamics Corp, BAE Systems and Raytheon Co -- are fighting to stave off the "hard choices" promised by Gates and keep their big-ticket weapons programs alive.

They have taken out expensive ads to highlight the high-paying jobs their programs provide, and are lobbying lawmakers, who ultimately dictate government spending, to keep their programs alive.

(Reporting by Jim Wolf and Andrea Shalal-Esa; editing by Tim Dobbyn)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090406/ts_nm/us_pentagon_budget_2
  3. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Can I be the first to say...

Why do these people hate America so much?
  4. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

They dont hate America, they just want to make it easier to give away.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Seems like a good plan to me.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm all for cutting waste but not at the expense of the constitutional obligations the leaders have to this nation to protect and defend this country.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    So in other words you are really not all for cutting waste...at this time.:laugh2:
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm for cutting waste as in overpaying for contract work. I'm not for weakening the armed forces. We are fighting a war on terror and I understand many modern weapon systems will not be used in this fight but that is today I want to make sure our military remains the strongest for foes today and in the future.

Unlike some (not suggesting you) I don’t believe in spending money on bailing out private business nor do I see that duty falling under the federal government I do however see where it states the Presidents job is to defend and protect this country I expect my federal Government to provide a strong military and much of the other obligations should be handled and governed from a state level.
  9. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    We have to keep looking towards future weapons systems, Russia already has a fighter better than any of ours, which is what the F22 was supposed to surpass. We cannot afford to be second place with any of our equipment, especially when we maintain such a small military and the American public is not willing to accept large casualties such as what we had during WWII.
  10. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Move all that pork in the new stimulus bill over to the military. Than if the politicans cry about, tell them if they can explain over TV and in front of people why they need that money for than the safety and protection of this country, they may have it back. Please keep in mind, the people in the audience will be armed, and since guns are bad, shovels are still good. Hows the pitchfork's approval ratings these days?
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I would imagine gates and generals at the pentagon have a better idea of what is wasteful military spending projects compared to us joes on a message board.

:rolleyes:
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    He also works for the President who has final say over what goes and what stays. While I'm not opposed to cutting waste we have taken measures in the past where we ended up weakening our military and I hope we do not see that happen again.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    When Gates, the generals in the pentagon and even McCain when he was running for President says there need to be big cuts in wasteful military spending...I think they probably have a legit point.

Now I know it is easier to just take it as Obama being the only one with this idea and he is a evil this or that for doing it.

But it was not just him.

You cut the budget on some of these wasteful spending programs where military industrial companies have been fleecing the US and you concentrate on spending in other areas like special forces and such.
  14. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    This is from Gates 2008 At the Pentagon, Senior officials have taken up the mission of urging sustained military spending. Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has asked Congress and the nation to pledge at least 4 percent of the gross domestic product to the military. And Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates has warned against repeating historic trends, in which the nation cut money for the armed services after a period of warfare.

“We basically gutted our military after World War I, after World War II, in certain ways after Korea, certainly after Vietnam and after the end of the cold war,” Mr. Gates said. “Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again.”

As I said he works for the President and this 180 from 2008 to now speaks loud and clear who is asking for what. Now you want to keep on with the defending of Obama be my guest but like most liberal democrates when they take offense they always target the military as they push their own social agenda over the welfare of this nation
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    And if he worked for McCain he would be doing the same darn thing because that was what McCain was saying.

But if you want to keep on bashing Obama be my guest.

:laugh2:
  16. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds like a good plan.

I didn't know Russia had a better fighter jet. I'm sure we have some stuff locked away that's better than it.
  17. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [youtube]Y-XRJpgrbm4[/youtube]

Maybe it's for programs like this...
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Wasteful spending yes that is not the same as cutting f-22 fighters or weapons program that means holding contractors more accountable for what they are billing the pentagon for. McCain talked about cutting out the fat not gutting the military from needed weapons. I do think there has to be a better check and balance to prevent this practice by defense contractors but that is different than doing away with weapons system.
  19. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I am all for cutting waste and when the Secretary of Defense consults with the Joint Chiefs and they decide such-and-such a program is not needed, then I am willing to take them at their word. I have every faith that the cuts these men recommend won't imperil our troops - in fact, it is quite likely that the money would be better allocated elsewhere.

Of course, what happens now is every single Congressman who's district stands to lost some defense industry jobs will do everything they can to prevent the Pentagon from cutting the budget as they see fit.
  20. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I have yet to see a better fighter jet(no I am not an expert, but I am talking about in the field or in real combat). Basically they may have the same, but until it goes head to head I doubt any weapon system out there would qualify as better than our fighters. I think Russia may have something that on paper sounds better, but I would comfortably bet on an American fighter jet any day of the week. It sounds like a scare statement truthfully.