1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GbnReport: Scout's Notebook

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 15, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    THE SCOUT'S NOTEBOOK
    http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm
    Draft trade wins blowing ... or not ...
    by Colin Lindsay, Editor and Publisher, Great Blue North Draft Report
    February 14, 2011

too good a read to me to post some snipets, check out the link and read the notebook, very good info to me, some we already know, but reinforces that info on the draft prospects, etc...
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was interesting. He talked about Sherrod and Carimi possibly falling near the end of the first or top of the second. Those guys sure will not be around at 41. Teams will eat that value up fast if they slip out of round 1. I like Sherrod, but it looks like Tyron Smith is my only hope at 9; however, that isn't a bad hope to have. Smith and Solder will probably be the first two tackles off the board. Costonzo will follow. Ijalana has work to do. Sherrod should go before Carimi.

Temple DE is rising.

He stated that the Baylor NT may be a better fit in the 43, and I agree. He's a little too tall for the 34 NT, the proto-type.

He stated that it would take Brewster (OT Indiana) a year or two to be ready to start and compared him to Flozell Adams.
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I forgot.

He also stated that teams in the bottom half of the top 10 would be reluctant to trade down, due to a big talent drop off after 11 or 12. Then, he talked about a real big drop off after the first 15 picks, I think.

I have stated that the drop off happened at pick 7 or 8, and I still think that is a drop off point if you don't count Newton (a QB) and the players who you think will not win vertically (when compared to players on the current roster) on Dallas' board. I think there will be a little drop at 8, and then another drop at 11 or 12. After pick 15 or so, the talent really levels off.

I'd pick at 9 for sure. I wouldn't trade down, because that player at 9 is should really help you fast.
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still really like Derek Sherrod, and I still think that he would be a perfect fit to protect Vick's blind side at RT. The Eagles and Redskins talked to him. Of course, so would Tyron Smith. I still think Sherrod has a chance to go top 20. This guy is a very good, athletic, young OT and has upside.

OTs and CBs rise.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they will come off the board like this:

1. Tyron Smith
    2. Nate Solder
    3. Derek Sherrod
    4. Anthony Costonzo
    5. Gabe Carimi

Ijalana has a whole lot of work to do, and he is coming off double surgery. He could jump past Carimi for sure.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That looks about right to me as well. Sherrod, Constonzo and Carimi seem to be pretty fluid right now. The clear cut top two at this point are Smith and Solder.

I think around pick 13 is when you will see teams start to position themselves and OT's start coming off the board.
  7. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    yep, somewhere around 12th pick, OTs should start falling some and i agree with the way you had them ranked too