1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

General Draft tendency

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by burmafrd, Feb 13, 2011.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I HOPE that with our usual careful look at charactor we also look for these:
    Constant Motor- if there is any doubt pass.
    Player not athlete- always pick a player before an athlete (frankly never pick an athlete)
    emotional. I want emotional guys- as long as they are NOT crazy. I want guys that will feel the game and the situation.
    Toss your stop watches and tape measures- numbers on that should be of interest but do not let it be the deciding factor. Unless they are just too incredible to ignore. EVEN THEN look at the player- a fast guy that never makes any plays is worthless.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Old school!
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thy name is Mark Herzlich.
  4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree about tape measures and stopwatches and agility test it matters but what you can not do is ignore film because of the tape measure and stopwatches

There have been a lot of real productive players in college that graded out well and sucked big time in the Pro's and it was not because of work ethic because of the stop watch etc

Rashuan Woods is a classic example of this and many other players. What teams do sometimes are ignore everything else because of the stop watch Mike Mamula etc
  5. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,956 Messages
    283 Likes Received

agreed, he's just a football player, he gets it. If he continues to get stronger and remains healthy he's gonna play ilb for 10 years in this league.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,794 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    The non-athletes with the "emotion" and the "constant motor" don't even get consideration as undrafted free agents, so we can drop the football cliches. You have to have both athleticism and be a football player to make it in the NFL.
  7. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Look at all the guys that looked great by stop watch and tape measure but sucked in the NFL. Basic physical ability is of course a must; but so many are drafted higher because of one tick on the stop watch then someone who made plays.
  8. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,048 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I can just dream to have Lee and Herzlich kicking butt and taking names on our ILB positions for years to come.
  9. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,445 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Nick Fairley

He has the physical skills and the attitude. His on field demeanor is exactly what needs to be injected into our defense.

I know, we'd have to trade up to do it... but I would.
  10. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Fairley might have too much. He better be able to control himself more or he will be getting one PF per game. Unless of course he goes to the Squeelers.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,445 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received

True, but to have that kind of nasty, intense intimidator on defense, I might be willing to give 15 yards per game. He scares the crap out of offenses.
  12. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    but if he comes to us he will get at least 2 per game and be suspended within 3 games.
  13. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,307 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Now you guys are talking about Nick Fairley? You might have to trade up to #1 to get him. Not to mention you're using whatever it takes to trade up to improve in a position that's not even in dire need. It would be nice to have him yes, but I don't think it's necessary to do something like that. I would honestly take a close look at Casey Matthews for rounds 2-3, he's got the motor and attitude, he's a football player, he just needs to bulk up. Some people will do it, some won't, but I think he's the kind of guy who's going to work hard just like his brother, put on some muscle, and be a force.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,298 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    Demarcus Ware was an athlete and that worked out pretty well. You need to back up athleticism with character and work ethic. Work ethic is probably chief amongst the traits you need to succeed no matter the field.

Mark Herzlich is not going to be a very good NFL player. He is stiff and more than a step slow. He will be heinously blockable at the next level. He is a great story but I'd be surprised if he gets drafted before r5 to be honest. I thought he was the worst LB at the Senior Bowl.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,445 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

You're probably right with the way the officials watch all Dallas players.

I do like Casey Matthews' football demeanor. You gotta love all those Matthews.

As for Fairley... yeah, I know he'll go early. I'm just really sold on how good he will be at the next level. I'm convinced he would be worth whatever it would take to move up to get him. The guy is mean and nasty and can play football like nobody's business.

I think Ryan would use him to full advantage and feel like he would be worth the trade up. In Wade's 34 or Parcells 34, I don't think it would be worth a trade up... but I think Ryan would use him wisely.

The last guy I felt like was really worth us trading up for was Adrian Peterson, and I still had doubts because he was at RB, which can be found in lower rounds. With Fairley being a DL, I don't have those doubts. The difference makers go early on the D line, and he will be a huge difference maker, IMO.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,298 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    I wouldn't trade up period but Fairley is a beast to be sure.
    He basically won that national championship game alone.
    He severely altered what Oregon could do.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,445 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received

He sure did. And I'm usually the same way about trading up... not many are worth it.

This time, I just think Fairley is. Just going to you tube and watching what he does to offenses is almost enough to convince anyone. The guy scares the other team and disrupts everything they're trying to do.

Just imagine what Ryan could do with him, Ware and Ratliff.
  18. Pokes28

Pokes28 Member

364 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually Woods graded out very well with the stop watch. He was a sub 4.5 guy at the combine (4.45-4.49). His issue was that he had major injury problems that just would never heal. By the time he got healthy, his athleticism was compromised.

While at OSU, Woods was able to get away with not practicing much or all that hard due to injuries he had there. Les Miles let him play as long as he was productive.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh