1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Genius PhD Student Paid His Tuition With Mail-In-Rebates

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,046 Messages
    3,978 Likes Received
    By Mandi Woodruff | Business Insider – 12 hours ago

You could say Jonathan Hood's mail-in-rebate addiction began before he was even old enough to drive.

Ten years ago, at age 15, Hood tagged along with his father on a mission to score Black Friday deals on a few video games.

"My dad kind of got me hooked," he told Business Insider. "We stood in line early in the morning and I found out then I could get the games I wanted for either really cheap or for free [with mail-in-rebates]."

Over the next eight years, he would perfect the craft to the point where he could cover his $95/month cell phone bill exclusively with rebates.

Most companies send rebates in the form of prepaid debit cards, while about a third use cash or checks, he said. Almost all the rebates Hood uses are "free-after-rebate" offers, which means he's refunded the full amount.

"I haven't made a payment on my T-Mobile bill without using a rebate debit card for probably two years now."

Read the rest: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/genius-phd-student-paid-tuition-232906757.html
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,236 Messages
    1,972 Likes Received
    Kind of cool, I guess.

Although rebates don't come without a purchase all that often.....if ever.
  3. WoodysGirl

65,046 Messages
    3,978 Likes Received
    I can't imagine what a person could buy consistently that could gain that amount of rebates on a regular basis.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,236 Messages
    1,972 Likes Received
    Looks like he buys stuff, collects the rebate and sells the item on ebay.

Guess if you have the time and are willing to wait 6-8 months for your rebate to come back it's a neat little system.

Suppose he views it as more of a hobby than anything so it's a win-win for him.
  5. WoodysGirl

65,046 Messages
    3,978 Likes Received
    Yeah, I read that he sells the stuff on e-bay. He's a student, so he has the time to do all of that.

I'm one of those people who hunt down the mailman just looking for one rebate. I applaud the guy for putting in the work. I couldn't do it.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Guy works hard at something. Makes money in process. Okey doke.