1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

George Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder of Trayvon Martin **Read Post #142**

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 11, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,055 Likes Received
    Breaking News: Zimmerman is in custody and will be charged with 2nd-degree murder

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A law enforcement official says that the shooter in the Trayvon Martin case will be charged with second-degree murder and is in custody.

The official with knowledge of the case says that the charge against 28-year-old George Zimmerman will be announced at a news conference at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The official says he's in custody in Florida but wouldn't say where. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to disclose the information.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-murder-charge-trayvon-martin-case-214123361.html
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    For those wondering what 2nd Degree Murder is in the State of Florida:

(2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Fla. Stat. Ann. ยง 782.04
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,952 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    What kind of headline or thread title is this? I don't see anything about race in it. :D

I figured it was just a matter of time before this happened. It takes time for a full investigation to be completed. Is it possible that it took a public outcry for an investigation to occur? Sure, I do think it is possible. I don't care what the reasons. Just glad something has been done up to this point. It will be an interesting case to continue to monitor.
  4. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    This investigation from start to finish happened extremely fast compared to your average murder investigation. Only about 3 weeks since the case was taken over from the Sanford Police.
  5. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    I saw this on CNN a couple of hours ago. It's going to be an interesting case.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,055 Likes Received
    Just reading on twitter, the prosecutor in charge of the case is about her business. Getting lots of kudos for being professional with no rhetoric, and basically setting the right tone for the case going forward.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I really thought it wouldn't happen.

Will be interesting to see any new evidence.
  8. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    They almost had too. If the lead prosecutor would have let him walk without a trial, it would have gotten pretty nasty I imagine. Especially for her...

Just hope the truth comes out on what really happened that day.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Of course, in many murder investigations, you need to figure out who committed the act. So comparisons with the "average" case don't seem entirely reasonable.
  10. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    This better not be OJ'fied , no need for a carnival side show within a trial.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    yea, cause it's been so civil until now. :)

i don't know enough about how it all works to say if it was slow or fast or even if charges should be pressed, i leave that to the police and will just keep my popcorn handy and see how this goes.

cas - thanks for the wording of the law.
  12. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    no problem, ice.
  13. Romo_To_Dez

Romo_To_Dez Well-Known Member

2,085 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    There must be evidence of some kind to go with 2nd degree. I can't imagine them charging him with that unless they were sure that they had solid enough evidence to go with 2nd degree. Thought that it would be ManSlaugther
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,733 Likes Received
    I don't imagine Zimmerman would have a very pleasant time in prison at this point. Can you imagine what that would be like?
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Just saw that Zimmerman has changed representation.

Probably a good thing, that last guy was doing him no favors.
  16. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    I think it goes without saying to keep this topic from becoming racially or politically charged. It will not be tolerated.
  17. Romo_To_Dez

Romo_To_Dez Well-Known Member

2,085 Messages
    42 Likes Received

His former Attorney's were not making GZ look good in yesterday's press conference. Saying all kinds of things that made Zimmerman look bad. I guess he's glad to have a better lawyer
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They were upset he was in touch with the prosecutor. And today he is arrested. You don't think a deal was worked out?
  19. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Absolutely not.
  20. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    if it goes without saying, then why did you say it? jk jk:laugh2: