1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Giants Release Ahmad Bradshaw and Chris Canty*Merged*

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CIWhitefish, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

718 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I am not thrilled with the cuts but I guess our FO had their reasons.

Bradshaw was hurt way too much and Canty was also not able to get rid of injury bug. And don't forget Boley either. He was cut yesterday

I think this is a message to the veterans on the team. Either make the play offs or you are out of here. I am still hoping we dump Diehl and Corey Wesbter. Let's see what Uncle Reese has in his bag.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,644 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    It looks to me they've decided to start rebuilding.
  3. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,665 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    WOW.... kinda surprised at that!
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Are they also making room to extend Cruz and Nicks by making these cuts? Clearly Cruz is going to be expensive to keep.
  5. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,880 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    You think Dez Bryant fans were upset at the Pro Bowl WR selections, you should've seen John Mara! :p:
  6. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    is Wesbter's contract overpaid? he's always been a solid DB, overhyped at times but he is someone i would want on a team. definetly a starter on any team he may/may not land on.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    I'll go out on a limb and say he won't start for any team he doesn't land on.
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,295 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  9. JesusQuintana

JesusQuintana Member

55 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He had a very, very tough year this past season and is scheduled to make $7 million this season, definitely not warranting his salary.. Giants need room for deals for Cruz/Nicks/JPP.
  10. egn22

egn22 Active Member

839 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I'm not sure what it is, but i was just never overly impressed with Cruz. He drops a lot of passes and i don't see him as someone i'd pay top dollar to.
  11. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received

Overhyped indeed. He struggled up until the 2007 playoff run, then played lights out from that point on until the end of 2008. 2009 was a pretty bad year and 2010 was a pretty average year.

2011 he was one of the most targeted CBs in the league, and that was with arguably the worst starting corner in the league opposite... meaning teams were still willing to throw at him with a very vulnerable Aaron Ross playing his opposite-- his coverage wasn't tight. And 2012 was actually his worst year to date... I think he was a bottom 10 CB this year and that's not limited to starters.

He turns 31 in march.

Still want him?
  12. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    143 Likes Received

Hmm my memory on him is definetly fuzzy then. Anywho I didn't say I wanted the cowboys to get him just that he is "starter marterial." but if he is getting paid 7mill next year then yeah the giants need to cut him
  13. Ntegrase96

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received

Marvin Austin has been largely a disappointment thus far. He's probably not their answer at DT, and they're also pretty thin at the position as well... maybe going after a big FA acquistion? Doesn't seem like their style.

Wilson is also probably not ready for the work load and Andre Brown seems injury prone.
  14. Ntegrase96

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Completely understandable. He developed the reputation for being a shut down corner by taking guys like Fitzgerald out of the equation, but that was back in 08. He's been average at best since then, but people will still place him on the top 10 list... well maybe not after this year.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    Combine Andre Brown with Wilson and you are fine, imo. Plus, RBs are not to hard to find for depth.

It's way to early to declare Austin anything as he he missed his entire rookie season and was just coming around this year. I had heard they liked him a good but, like Linvel Joseph--who has 2 years more experience--they were going to work him into the mix responsibly..

I fully expect them to draft someone too..and maybe even in the very early rounds.
  16. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

718 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    A few questions I have to answer has been asked.

Wesbter : He was awful in 2012. In 2011 he wasn't that good either. In fact his only upside is he is always healthy. But he is making big bucks and he is on the decline. We have to get rid of him fast. I wish we could make a run at Revis but not gonna happen

Cruz : He is not our top priority. We wanna lock down Nicks first. Yes Nicks is injury prone but he is the difference maker. Cruz was an UDFA. Look how Steve Smith shined at Giants but then got off the map quick. I am not sold on Cruz. I don't think our FO is either. He drops passes etc. But he is still fan favorite. People love him. I think we will try to keep him if the price is right. If not, we will move along.

RB position: I think we are going to miss Bradshaw. He is released but Giants are still hoping to bring him back on a different contract if he doesn't find a good deal. His biggest difference was on Pass Protection. Wilson is super fast. Brown is also good. But too stoneheads who miss their assignments at critical points. We shall see.

I don't think Giants will ever be in rebuilding mode as long as Eli is at the helm. He still has 3-4 good years ahead of him. I am sure we will draft well and bring in a few veterans to help the team.

Overall, I am liking the message FO is sending. Either make the play offs or you are gone. I hear more guys will be released soon. We shall wait and see.
  17. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

554 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Anybody think that the Giants will sign back Jacobs to a one year deal? He has fresh legs and can actually BLOCK unlike Wilson and Brown. Won't be too expensive either: maybe 500k to 1M for the year
  18. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

701 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Wilson had about 5.5 YPC the last 4 games last season.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,147 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    Reminds me of the trap we fell into with Austin.
  20. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    every player cut from another team is immediately better than what we have.