1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gimmesix's preseason Game 4 53-man roster

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    OFFENSE

Quarterbacks (3)
    STARTER
    Tony Romo
    BACKUPS Kyle Orton, Alex Tanney
    COMMENTS Glad to see Orton step back up after a bad game and quiet the naysayers at least for a few days. And I'm still holding on to Tanney at this point. Maybe if he bombs against Houston, Dallas can consider trying to get him to the practice squad, but based on what I've seen, he's performed better than some teams No. 3s.

Running backs (4)
    STARTER
    DeMarco Murray
    BACKUPS Lance Dunbar, Phillip Tanner, Joseph Randle
    COMMENTS I would like to apologize to Tanner for doubting him. He might not have great vision, but he hits the hole that's supposed to be there with reckless abandon and does a good job of getting the most out of what's there. I no longer see him as a bubble player, but as a core special teammer who can step in at RB if necessary. Can't wait to have the game-breaking Dunbar back in action.

Wide receivers (5)
    STARTERS
    Dez Bryant, Miles Austin
    BACKUPS Terrance Williams, Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley
    PRACTICE SQUAD Tim Benford
    COMMENTS Bryant and Austin have been giving us a good preview of how tough our starting receivers can be to cover when both are healthy. Williams worries me some, though, simply because he and Romo don't seem to be on the same page yet and that will probably lead to some interceptions. Harris can step in if necessary, though, and Beasley showed some good things while healthy. Benford is the only other one who has really been a reliable target.

Tight ends (4)
    STARTER
    Jason Witten
    BACKUPS Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Dante Rosario
    PRACTICE SQUAD Andre Smith
    COMMENTS I was tempted to elevate Smith over Rosario because of Smith's blocking skills, but I don't think the team will do that despite Smith's excellent catch in traffic Saturday.

Line (10)
    STARTERS
    Tyron Smith, Ronald Leary, Travis Frederick, Doug Free, Jermey Parnell
    BACKUPS Mackenzy Bernadeau, Phil Costa, Nate Livings, David Arkin, Demetress Bell
    PRACTICE SQUAD Edawn Coughman
    IR Ryan Cook
    COMMENTS Free was a better guard in his first game at the position than Bernadeau has been, but still had a few problems. Unfortunately, Free has also been a better tackle this preseason than what we got from Parnell on Saturday. I expect Parnell to improve, though, (and his performance wasn't nearly all bad) and moving Free probably does give us our best starting five in response to not meeting Brian Waters' demands. I'd rather have a legitimate guard in Waters and let Free and Parnell keep pushing each other at right tackle. Going cheap could end up costing us again. Getting Leary back will give us a more stout front line by pushing Mackenzy out of the lineup (which would be good since everyone else pushes him around). Bell could be kept over Livings or Arkin since we don't have a backup tackle to carry to games with Free and Parnell both starting, but Dallas might just shift Free to RT during a game if something happened to Parnell. Kowalski still has an outside shot since Dallas doesn't seem sold on Arkin. We'll probably take Costa and Bernadeau to games as the backups.

DEFENSE

Line (8)
    STARTERS
    DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher, Nick Hayden, Anthony Spencer
    BACKUPS Kyle Wilber, Ben Bass, Sean Lissemore, George Selvie
    PUP Jay Ratliff
    IR Tyrone Crawford
    PRACTICE SQUAD Jerome Long
    COMMENTS Ratliff going on PUP might open up a spot for Landon Cohen to be kept over a 10th offensive lineman, but eight is enough. Looks like Hayden will be the starter in Ratliff's absence, since neither Bass nor Lissemore has come through to claim the role. I'm still intrigued by Thaddeus Gibson, but think it's unlikely he'll unseat Wilber, who really hasn't shown that much, or Selvie. Not sure if Gibson is eligible for the practice squad.

Linebackers (6)
    STARTERS
    Bruce Carter, Sean Lee, Justin Durant
    BACKUPS Ernie Sims, Brandon Magee, DeVonte Holloman
    PRACTICE SQUAD Caleb McSurdy, Cameron Lawrence
    COMMENTS Lee has looked outstanding in this alignment, but I expected Carter to stand out more than he has and Durant has been hit and miss. If Sims had not been sidelined, I believe he would have beaten out Durant for the starting job. Holloman has managed to do something to stand out in every game and probably deserves a shot at starting over Durant.

Cornerbacks (5)
    STARTERS
    Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr
    BACKUPS Orlando Scandrick, B.W. Webb, Sterling Moore
    PRACTICE SQUAD Xavier Brewer
    COMMENTS Webb seems to be coming on after a slow start, but shouldn't be expected to challenge Scandrick this year for the nickel job.

Safeties (5)
    STARTERS
    Barry Church, Will Allen
    BACKUPS J.J. Wilcox, Danny McCray, Jeff Heath
    PRACTICE SQUAD Jakar Hamilton
    COMMENTS Gave up on two of my backups, Matt Johnson and Eric Frampton, because injuries have kept them sidelined. Heath is a big hitter who has a ways to go before being a quality safety, but the Cowboys like his special teams play, which is also why captain McCray sticks around. I think Johnson and Frampton are the better players at this point, but they've got to get back on the field if they want to stick.

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Long snapper
    LP Ladouceur
    Kicker Dan Bailey
    Punter Chris Jones
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,104 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    I like it but I still want to see if we can sneak Frampton and Hamilton on this team. Also I'm still not sold on us keeping 4 RB's and I still think Beasley spot is in doubt because of the ST. The 5th WR is going to get much playing time so he has to be a special team guy with upside. I know the Beasley fanboys can't handle that and I'm sure I will get flamed for it. But there is a reason why Benford Coale and Armstrong are still on the team. I think Armstrong has a strong chance to make the team.
  3. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,642 Messages
    3,565 Likes Received
    ugh now the great gimmie has fallen under the tanney spell too?
  4. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    I'm more sold now on four RBs and think Beasley's spot is secured.

Would love for Frampton to bump McCray off, but I can't see Hamilton making the 53.
  5. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    I think he's worth developing, and it would be better to keep him for that purpose than a sixth receiver who never dresses, etc.
  6. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,130 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Johnson will go on IR before he is cut.
  7. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Possibly, but I don't know when he's scheduled to return. Figured we'd IR him now while he's still injured if we were going to.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  8. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,424 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    I'd swap out S McCray for WR Armstrong or Hamilton. Or I'd even swap out McCray for DE Thadeus Gibson. Gibson just looks like he will thrive in this scheme. Just wish there were one or two more players allowed.

I really wish it was a 53 man roster with 3 exemptions for one K, one P and one LS.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    I'd cut Livings outright, and consider Heath over McCray on ST and stashing Johnson on PUP. Keep Tanney until you have to decide on Johnson. Use the extra spots for a 6th WR (Armstrong) and either an extra ST player (Hamilton) or another DL (Cohen).

We've got the flexibility to go light at OL. I don't like the idea of losing a guy you think might be able to start at S one day to keep a special teamer in McCray and another backup/ST player in Heath at that same position. QBs are too valuable to lose if you think you've got one, and the fact that they're playing him instead of hiding him tells me they expect to keep him if he plays well. It'll all come down to preseason game 4 for Tanney.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    They could use the designated for return IR on Johnson. They have to keep him on the initial 53, but can immediately put him on IR and bring back another player. I doubt that anybody would claim McCray or Frampton at this point in time; therefore, one of them could be cut and then brought back the next day when Johnson is put on IR.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    Players have to be preseason PUP to be moved to regular season PUP, is that the trick? And we only get one IR return designation, right?
  12. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,619 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    I actually think that 53rd spot is between Matt Johnson and Alex Tanney. Matt Johnson is still PS eligible and his injury history alone would likely get him through waivers so Tanney may make it...but I still doubt it.
  13. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Don't think we'll keep fewer than five safeties, and I can't see Hamilton being kept over McCray.
  14. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Can't PUP Johnson, can we? Not sure he was on PUP at the start of camp.

I agree on Livings, and maybe Dallas will make that choice based on his injury status. If Livings is cut, then I think it comes down to Cohen, Armstrong or Gibson for the extra spot.
  15. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    That would be a reasonable way to handle it. I would be more apt to cut one of the extra offensive linemen (like Bell), though, for the spot and then bring him back the next week with a nonguaranteed salary.
  16. gimmesix

8,664 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Could be. Obviously, the health factor should play a big role in what happens with Johnson.
  17. xwalker

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Yes.
  18. xwalker

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Yes, it could be any of those types. Like Bell, McCray, Frampton, the 9th DL, the 4th TE, etc..

It's interesting with a tendered player like McCray. His tender was 1.3M, but if he is cut and resigned the next day they could reduce his salary to the veteran minimum which would be about 750k. He would be a Free Agent for a day, but I don't see another team signing him now; although, I could see a team signing him later in the season after some injuries occur.
  19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,826 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Based on what I've been reading/hearing, Cohen will probably make the 53.
  20. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,138 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Considering the incredible lengths they have gone to in order to not play Arkin, I can't see any way that he sticks.

At no legitimate way.