Glen Campbell dies at the age of 81

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Aug 8, 2017.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

24,614 Messages
    3,252 Likes Received
  2. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

6,054 Messages
    14,243 Likes Received
    The Rhinestone Cowboy, he was one of my favorites growing up. RIP.

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    3,273 Likes Received
    Alzheimer's is one of the diseases I dread the most.

Campbell was a great singer/songwriter with beautiful tenor voice. He and songwriter Jimmy Webb did some great work together.

Don't know how widely known this is, but Campbell played guitar for the Beach Boys on the acclaimed "Pet Sounds" album and replaced Brian Wilson for a few months on tour after Wilson's breakdown. One source claimed he was offered a permanent spot with the band but declined.

4. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

2,667 Messages
    1,998 Likes Received
    This is a bummer. Loved Rhinestone Cowboy as a kid.

daboyzruleperiod and Ranching like this.
  5. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,254 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    One of the great singer/songwriters of our time. RIP Glen.

6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

41,518 Messages
    14,395 Likes Received
    Sorry to hear of this.

7. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

8,214 Messages
    11,640 Likes Received
    Another part of my childhood has died. R.I.P. Glen. :(

8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler

12,938 Messages
    8,460 Likes Received
    A true pioneer of the music industry, RIP :cool:

9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,326 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    There was a great documentary on Glen, during his last tour, as the problems were already evident. I'll Be Me. He faced everything pretty head on. Another documentary, on The Wrecking Crew, had a ton of stuff on his early career as a session musician in LA.

Trouty and Duane like this.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

41,750 Messages
    6,886 Likes Received
    I can remember, I was still a small boy and we lived in Baytown in those days. I can remember my Mom listening to Glen Cambpell listening to this song. He has a few that I have always liked but I guess I remember this one best.

11. dexternjack

12,938 Messages
    8,460 Likes Received
    Baytown, TX? If so, you have my sympathies :grin:

Trouty and Ranching like this.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

41,750 Messages
    6,886 Likes Received
    Yep, Baytown Texas. Lived right across the Bay. Used to gig and fish and tie a chicken neck to a string and catch crab all day long. Had an old container from an old mess kit we used to boil the claws up in and just eat em right there.

As hot and as hummed as it was, as many snakes and critters, the smell of refinery, the skeeters as big as volkswagens, I wouldn't trade it.

Trouty, Ranching and Duane like this.
  13. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

2,667 Messages
    1,998 Likes Received
    When I was 12, I recorded Rhinestone Cowboy from my best friend's 45 onto a cassette as a crude recording, no fancy stereo. Then I recorded Southern Nights from the radio onto the same tape. I was happy. Looking back, I can see that was an early form of piracy, which would never have crossed my mind. Ended up buying his records, so it's all good.

kimrose and Ranching like this.
  14. dexternjack

12,938 Messages
    8,460 Likes Received
    My wife is from there and I grew up in Clear Lake. I always tease her saying she is from the wrong side of the tracks :laugh:

I do love and miss crabbing for sure, we did the same with chicken tied to strings. Every time we go back whether to visit or live, I make sure of getting my fill of crab claws, best crab ever! :thumbup:

ABQCOWBOY, Trouty and Ranching like this.
  15. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,157 Messages
    1,005 Likes Received
    A couple of years ago I watched the documentary on his last tour when his Alzheimer's was in full force. It was amazing he wouldn't recognize his own kids playing next to him but he could still play and sing his music just as beautiful as if he was years younger. He had to read from cue cards to introduce his kids and the rest of his band. I am deathly afraid of that disease.

16. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

6,054 Messages
    14,243 Likes Received
    One of my favorites.

17. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,326 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Baytown, deep in the Chemical Coast. Glad I only saw it whilst traveling. Talked to a bunch of folks from there who were very happily gone.

Trouty likes this.
  18. Trouty

Trouty Dakistani Zone Supporter

17,999 Messages
    43,989 Likes Received
    One of my best buddies was banging one of his son's ex'es.

Sorry if this is inappropriate.

RIP, Mr. Campbell!

dallasdave, Jammer and haleyrules like this.
  19. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    3,273 Likes Received
    I've heard of this phenomenon before as well. I wonder if music is stored in another part of the brain or stored in a different way that's not as affected by the illness. I also wonder if man will find out at some point in the future that the storage place and/or method of storage can be impacted by a person's value of the information/knowledge. For example, something that is more highly valued is stored differently... like things a person believes are spiritual are stored in a different place an/or in a different way.

Trouty likes this.
  20. bb721

bb721 Well-Known Member

358 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    He was a phenomenal singer, and guitarist as well, but actually the vast majority of his songs were written by other people. Several of his best known hits were written by Jimmy Webb. RIP Glen.

Trouty likes this.