1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Glenn Beck Re-Energizes the Conservative Movement

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Glenn Beck Re-Energizes the Conservative Movement
    by Mark Skousen
    03/19/2009

Since moving from CNN to Fox News, the Glenn Beck phenomenon has become the hottest topic today among conservatives. To demonstrate his influence, he recommended an obscure book called The 5,000 Year Leap on his radio and TV show, and today it is #1 on Amazon.

The Obama election and the Democrats takeover of government has re-energized the freedom movement, and more and more conservatives are turning to Glenn Beck as their hero.

Beck actually considers himself a libertarian. I was on the Glenn Beck Show two weeks ago, and he asked all his guests -- Steve Moore, Penn Jillette, and me -- if we were libertarians. We all said yes, and he said, “So I am.” He believes in maximum liberty and strict limits on the government’s powers as enumerated in the U. S. Constitution.

The boyish, articulate Beck is a dogmatic defender of the Constitution, which he believes is being perverted by both political parties in Washington.

His top priority is to “take our country back.” His patriotic enthusiasm is intoxicating, and his show is a hit around the country.

Last Friday on the Glenn Beck Show, he announced his 912 Project and his new website, www.the912project.com. His show is so popular that the site immediately crashed. (It’s now up and running.) 912 is a play on “9-11” and refers to “nine values” and “12 principles” based on the Constitution, and in particular, his favorite book called The 5,000 Year Leap: The Miracle that Changed the World.

Who is the author of The 5,000 Year Leap? My late uncle, W. Cleon Skousen! Cleon Skousen was a constitutional scholar, an FBI agent (and special assistant to J. Edgar Hoover), author of The Naked Communist and the thousand year books about the Bible, and a devoted family man.

In politics, my uncle was passionate about the U. S. Constitution, which he felt was inspired by God and the reason behind America’s success as a nation. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, he ran hundreds of Constitutional seminars around the country.

His book The 5,000 Year Leap outlines 28 reasons why the U. S. Constitution created the miracle we call America, and led the world out of agrarian poverty and into a new modern age of prosperity -- a 5,000 year leap from men plowing fields to walking in space.

Last Friday, Beck passed out to the live audience a new edition of The 5,000 Year Leap, which an introduction by him. He told the audience, “Everyone should read this book.”

Between commercials, he told me that even though he had never met my uncle (he died in 2006), Cleon's book changed his life. He said that a friend, without solicitation, sent him a copy of The 5,000 Year Leap, saying, “Glenn, I don’t know if you’ve ever read this, but it’s the simplest, easiest way for Americans of all ages to understand the simple yet brilliant principles our founders based this country on.”

Glenn read the book, and concluded: "The author [W. Cleon Skousen] was years ahead of his time. And our founders were thousands of years ahead of their time. My hope is that all Americans young and old will spend the time with this book to understand why we are who we are. The words of our founding fathers have a way of reaching across any political divide. They are words of wisdom that I can only describe as divinely inspired. They are here for us to help solve the unsolvable -- and they are the reason why we have for so long been the greatest nation on earth. But most importantly, in these pages, you will find hope." (from the introduction)

Finally, hope we can believe in.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=31116
  2. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,938 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I always liked Beck, as for his Libertarian thing I know he was an ardent GWB supporter before his TV shows. I like him and Jerry Doyle.
  3. irvin4evs

irvin4evs Benched

573 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Best person in the world.
  4. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I absolutely love Glenn Beck. I find myself in agreement with him 99% of the time. He truly is a nice, genuine person that loves God and his country. He tells it how it is, and just uses basic common sense rather than partisan spin in his show. He's upfront about his past, and admits his mistakes. Also - random tidbit - he looks completely different in person than on TV... the camera is not kind to the man.

I listen to him on my drive to work/school in the morning, his radio show is great. As for his TV show, I rarely get to watch it as I am usually working. However - my DVR is set to record it and do watch it ocassionaly. the912project is going to be huge. Already 50,000 online members in 1 week, or something like that.