1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Global Warming Alarmists Propose Limiting Population... to the Point of Extinction

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

It was one of the best things that ever happened.

To see where that country has gone, they are much better off here.
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    If the price of opposition is your death, that is a price I am willing to pay.
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    yeah because they have really become economic giants in the US, really kept their language and culture etc
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    yea, you seem to pay your way through just about everything.

if money ever becomes worthless, what will you worship next?
  5. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Only if you agree to it, or meet a very specific set of facts, including being married for at least 10 years. And my point was directly related to your comment about him paying through the nose. Most people aren't going to agree to "pay through the nose" so to speak. So, no I'm not wrong.
    Maybe for you. But I think you are backwards thinking for acting like you can tell people how many kids they can have. And Texas is also a Community Property state, which is a female-oriented theory of property. Blows your male oriented BS out of the water. Ooooops.

Oh that's definitely backwards thinking. Actually, permanent alimony paid to a wife seems to me to be pretty patronizing. She gets a free ride for the rest of her life because she married someone with money. Do you not think she can work for herself? Would your wife work if the two of you got divorced and you paid alimony through the nose? Also it gives the man an incentive to stay in a terrible marriage and a wife to leave a good one.

This is the problem with your laws. I'll take the draconian ones thank you.

Your female clients wouldn't want to live in Texas? I don't think ANY of my clients would want to live in Canada.

Well I don't know what your child support percentages are. But my guess is no. Why give someone an incentive to divorce?

Your contention was that he would pay through the nose. If he lives in Texas, you are wrong.
  6. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    the smart man would stay down.

canadian is going to pay someone to get up for him.
  7. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,758 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Draconian... really...

I would think you would see it as progressive... you know... women taking care of themselves and such. Equal rights and stuff... You do seem opposed to stay at home moms...

So you are saying, in a nutshell, that women can't take care of themselves...
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Problem is, what do you do with the woman married for 30 years, stay at home mom, dumped for a secretary when she is 50. No skills, no job prospects etc She is basically screwed under Texas law.

Our law goes too far the other way for sure. Then again, the constant applications by payors (99% of which are men) who want out of their spousal maintenance obligations does keep me in nice clothes.

Pep, I suspect females who are being divorced after long marriages would prefer to live under our legal system where they can basically be paid a pension for life than yours where they get basically nothing.

Are pensions divided under Texas law and if so, how?

Re assets, do you get a prima facie equal division as it is in my province subject to reapportionment if an equal division is not fair or do you keep what you brought in and/or review contributions? In British Columbia, you start off equal but can vary that division if, inter alia, one has a need to become economically independent and self-sufficient. That section is often used by wives to get 60-75% of the assets. If they get that percentage, usually don't get as much spousal support. Under our law, if married, deal with assets first and then go to spousal support on a permanent basis. You can also get interim maintenance which can last until trial. Of course, our spousal maintenance is tax deductible when paid pursuant to court order or Separation Agreement and taxable in the recipient's hand.
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    no, we consider that marriage is a partnership and the longer the parties are together, the greater the desire they have an equal standard of living after breakdown. it recognizes women still do the vast majority of child care, are the ones to take time off work, suffer economic disadvantage from breakdown of marriage etc. For example, say my wife and I divorced, she only works four days a week so she can have one day with our son. She loses 20% of her income by making that choice. Over the course of say 15 years, that is a lot of lost income. Furthermore, she makes about 1/2 of what I do so she has become accustomed to a certain standard of living.

if we were to break up, my child support obligations would be about 1500-2000 a month based on my income. My spousal likely around 1500 as well which would allow her a similar standard of living to me after at this point 14 years of marriage. It seems only fair. No matter what she does, she will never make as much as me as she is only a paralegal and I am a lawyer. In getting a divorce, she would suffer an economic disadvantage.
  10. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    women do all the work and texas laws are draconian?

you funny round eye.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    women do the vast majority of child care and a law that says you have only get the minimum needed to survive and have to be married 10 years just to get that is pretty draconian and definitely male oriented.

that law doesn't benefit women, that is for sure.
  12. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,814 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    Irony, thy name is CanadianCowboysFan.
  13. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ever been to south Louisiana? Doesn't sound like it. You've got a lot to learn Bucky.
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    If you're married for 30 years, you're likely going to have a lot of assets to divide. And that is why we have temporary post-divorce maintenance. Gives her 3 years to get on her feet and start making money. You know, so she can be a productive member of society...

Everything that is earned/acquired during the marriage is presumed to be divisible.

Typically you start at a 50-50 split of all assets earned/acquired during the marriage. This includes the house(s), pensions, investments, etc. If there is some fault in the breakup of the marriage, say the husband cheats or is abusive, then the wife can get a disproportionate share, depending on the severity of the actions of the one at fault. Temporary spousal support is available during the pendency of the suit, but it's typically a way to make sure everyone has enough money to live while the suit is going on, since there are usually two residences they're having to pay for, utilities, and such.

If there are children, the person not receiving custody pays support, starting at 20% of the net monthly income for one child, and increasing by 5% for each additional child up to 40%. That's the simple way to explain it.
  15. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    This can all be done in a property division. There doesn't necessarily need to be an additional payment if the property division is done right. If you don't have a lot of property/assets to divide, then you probably aren't accustomed to an extravagant standard of living.
    So if you were to divorce, would she be allowed to continue to work only four days a week? The two of you made that decision in order for her to be with her son. You both sacrificed the additional money for the betterment of your son.

Hypothetically, let's say she had a long-running affair on you. Or maybe she started shopping at WalMart. If you would normally get a divorce, but don't want to pay all this money in support, wouldn't you be more likely to stay in a failing marriage?? IMO that's the worst possible situation. It's not healthy for anyone, but specifically for your son.

Or flip it around, and she leaves for no reason at all? Now you're presented with the same payments... This is one of the consequences of these types of laws.

Whereas, if you only divide property on hand and not future awarded property (your future income), then there's no incentives one way or the other. You can't have more than what is on hand. Puts couples on more equal ground.
  16. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received

fault basically plays no role in our family law except in very limited circumstances (such as one blowing assets on drugs or booze). we just have one basis for divorce, breakdown of marriage which is one year separation, or adultery/mental physical cruelty but the latter two only allow you to get a divorce in less than a year but have no effect on a division of assets (although like most court systems, it will take a year to wind through the courts so I have done maybe 2 adultery divorces in the last 15 years). Most just go by the one year searaion

We really didn't sacrifice any money with her working only four days as my mom cares for my son for free and if the wife worked the fifth day, she would make more coin but it would be offset by daycare costs which are atrociously high (don't get me started on the need for state funded daycare).

I do tell some guys they cannot afford a divorce but since it takes two to tango and no one person is ever at fault for a divorce, chances are if he doesn't take the step, she will.
  18. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Our typical fault grounds are adultery and abuse/cruelty as well. There are other little used grounds. Then we have the "no fault" grounds of insupportability. But there's only a 60 day waiting period to get a divorce. But yeah, if anything is contested, you're probably looking at 6 months to a year or more.

You must still have a young son. Planning on keeping it like this when he starts school?

Sure there's usually blame to go around to both parties, but do you tell guys that they have to deal with their wife cheating on them? I'm sorry, if I knew my wife was cheating on me, there's no amount of money you could charge me that would make me stay. One reason that fault grounds can give you a better property division and prevent you paying for someone else literally screwing you over.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

15,294 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Cheating is just a symptom, not the cause. It isn't right but it happens so I make no judgments. Monogamy was forced on us a few centuries ago. Humans are not programmed to be monogamous so that fact that it happens is usually a miracle.

I did chuckle at the comment you made re paying someone to screw you over, you are right from an irrational point of view and most of us do feel that way, but it is strange, it is usually just guys who have that view. My female clients who tell me the husband skanked basically just accept that is what guys do. They might not want to stay with the man but they know guys will do what guys do.

Here is a funny family law story for me. Guy came to me, and when asked what problems were in his marriage, he said, my wife has a sexual dysfunction. I had to ask what that was and he told me she had never had a big "O" in sixteen years of marriage. I was tempted to say well who really had the sexual dysfunction, you or her, but as he was giving me a very large retainer, I bit my tongue :D
  20. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    i'm surprised you didn't pay someone else to bite it for you.