1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Going back to school at 33 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by bounce, May 24, 2013.

1. bounce

bounce Active Member

504 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Great read, thanks. I think the bolded part is what I think I need to adjust expectations on. I was sort of thinking of it as an 'all-in' thing, instead of just taking my time. But, it's good to know that my situation isn't uncommon.
  2. bounce

bounce Active Member

504 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I honestly haven't even gotten that far. I was just looking at schools around the area (San Antonio) and any that have distance learning, but I haven't even narrowed it down. I was thinking about a Communication Design (Graphics or similar) because it's something that would be relevant in my field. But, I'm in the EARLY stages of considering it.
  3. bounce

bounce Active Member

504 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Great stuff - thanks for chiming in. You raise a lot of good points. I think I'd be most excited about the end-result (the diploma) than the process - which doesn't make sense. I definitely have a lot to sort out.
  4. bounce

bounce Active Member

504 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Very true. I guess I'm too self deprecating about it - I'm not sure a BA would GAIN me anything. Other than saying that I have one.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Start the whole thing out doing what you like, then morph your major into it later.. whatever suits your field. I just wanted to say I'd highly encourage the experience. Just be sure to enjoy parts of it... some of it, a lot of it, isn't meant to be enjoyed, but you can get through it.
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Doubt you would have much luck with them at 30 something back in school with no career and little to no money.
  7. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    You know old saying of better late than never.

Well, I earned a BS degree while in the Navy and upon retirement, at age of 42, I went back to the school for MS and and continued to attend for another BS and BS, this is while having la full time employment and having a family.

It was very difficult at times but I'm glad I did.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    'Twas what I was saying. It isn't always fun nor easy, but that's not the point. LOL
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    perhaps but even if you hit on fifty of them and only one says yes, you score.

Just don't tell them how old you are, knock 7 years off your age ;)
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Tell her not to be so possessive, this is your college experience and all should be experienced :)
  11. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    HAHa. They are not necessarily stupid though. So don't lie. :)
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,238 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Plus he has the whole 'wife' thing working against him.

;)
  13. KJJ

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Well if he's in school and married his wife is working praying he'll earn a degree that will get him a job. lol If a guy is over 30 in school and has the fantasy of picking up a college chick they better be a professor. Not many college chicks are going to be impressed by a 30 something guy who's unemployed and is working on a degree.
  14. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

869 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Don't go back just to say you've done it or to impress anyone. Go back if it's what you want. If you're a good reader, you can learn Illustrator and improve your Photoshop skills on your own. In other words, if you know how to teach yourself new skills, you can do that with no need for an expensive school. That said, school can help. In school you have an instructor you can ask questions; plus, they provide you structure for learning.

I went back to school to learn computer programming. I'm glad I did it. On the other hand, I'm learning to speak and write French without attending school. We have amazing resources on the Internet for learning just about anything that did not exist back when I learned German in the 80s.

No one can make this choice but you.
  15. muck4doo

muck4doo Active Member

1,902 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I'm 44, an ex of mine is 33, and she just got her bachelors. My son just graduated at 21 with his bachelors. She's looking to get her masters. It's not stupid at all. I'm not that short of getting my Associates, but didn't finish things. While I was working on it was about 30 years old, and it did feel funny to be the old guy in the class, but it is what it is. Doubt my credits are good anymore.
  16. KJJ

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    If you're a person in a good financial situation and going back to school at 30-plus isn't something to improve your job or income then go for it. Some people like earning a degree simply to have a sense of accomplishment. But if going back to school is something in hopes of improving your job or income then you're better off learning a trade.

Putting a lot of time into earning a degree doesn't guarantee you anything whether you're 20 or 45. Find something that you would enjoy doing and learn how to do it. There's things out there that you may have a knack for that you can learn how to do in a short period of time at your own leisure and turn it into a lucrative career regardless of how old you are.
  17. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,222 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Just don't be that person that starts asking questions with like 2 minutes left in class...seems like every old person did that when I was in college. Especially night courses, its 8:25 and someone wants to start asking idiotic questions when everyone just wants to go pound beers.
  18. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,287 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    You never know what the future will hold. 33 and stable today does not mean you will be at 43, 53, etc. A college degree won't guarantee it, but I say go for it man.
  19. bounce

bounce Active Member

504 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Forget that. I'm going to be the guy that asks questions late, and reminds the teacher that they forgot to give us homework.
  20. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

869 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I agree with you. What's the point of being there if you don't want to be there? I remember when I was in college we had a 50-something lady in our class who put a ton of effort into the papers she wrote for lit class and was doing really well. One guy complained that she was raising the curve. My response was he should just get over it. It's a competitive environment and he has to compete. If he wants a good grade he'll have to write papers that are of similar quality to the 50 year-old lady.

And when there's two minutes left in class time, it's still class time. It's still a legitimate time to ask questions. If someone who would rather be drinking a beer doesn't like it, then tough.