1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Going for 2, for the win?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cwat81, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Cwat81

Cwat81 Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is there ever a good time to do this? It seemed that the Boys best chance to win was to gain 2 yards, rather than hoping to win the toss in overtime.
  2. elcowboi

elcowboi Member

816 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I told my brother I would have went for two. I just didn't trust the defense to make a stop. Now if that would have been the right thing to do who knows. I also didn't think the offense would sputter like that in OT either.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    I was hoping they wouldve went for it. they couldnt have won the division or made the playoffs or been shut out of the playoffs with a win or loss.
  4. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    I would have gone for two:End the game

1.I didn't like our chances of scoring three straight touchdowns

2.I didn't like our chance at all on defense
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,046 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    There was a good chance they would have all but been eliminated with a loss to N.O. and a Giants win at Baltimore. I don't see NY losing to Philly this week. We would have been a game behind even if we beat Wash.

The thought did cross my mind to go for two but noway do you go for the conversion there. The offense was hot at the time.
  6. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,861 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    yes, we were hot until OT...
  7. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,301 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I was actually more surprised that the Saints didn't pull their fourth down bluff. They had nothing to play for and there wasn't a person in the stadium who thought the Cowboys could keep them from getting it. I guess there were "integrity of the game" issues...
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Fade To Dez in the End Zone, or toss Sweep to Murray...TD everytime
  9. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    This.Our offense was torching them. Best thing that could have happened did. We won the toss. Then the worst thing that could of happened did. Our O sputtered.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,390 Messages
    1,784 Likes Received
    No way. You make it and you're a genius. You don't you might lose your job and you're definitely the laughing stock of the entire NFL. Make that US. No world.

They made a mistake changing the offense in OT. Every time Tony runs wide open offense we get gobs of yardage. Jason was afraid Tony would turn the ball over so he went by the rules.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    No there wasnt. None of the team couldve been eliminated yesterday
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    Thats garretts biggest problem. Lacks faith in his players
  13. NuttyRex

NuttyRex Member

59 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was saying go for two after the first TD. If you miss it you have another chance at 2 just to tie. It seems like a pretty good probability to me.
  14. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Then, they probably would have gone for it on fourth down
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,046 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    Where did I say they would have been eliminated? I said all but eliminated. Their only hope would have been for a wildcard (if the Giants won and beat Phil) and would need a lot of help to get that wildcard.
  16. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,862 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    What's the Cowboys success rate on conversions or 3rd and goal to go from the 2?

If it's higher than 60% you've got a good start. If your defense is tired and less effective add 10%. If your offense has had trouble scoring add another 10%.

But I don't think any of the above has been or was true at the time. Romo had just thrown his 4th TD, the Cowboys had just held the Saints twice in clutch fashion, and Dallas has by no means been automatic from 3rd and goal from the 2 or there hasn't been enough attempts from that range to make sense.

I'd have gone into OT. Dallas just didn't make the plays it needed to.
  17. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol.....Garrett did exactly what every Coach would have done in that situation.....excluding those with xbox controllers in their hands

had they went for two and not got it a) could have ruined their shot at playoffs.....b)would have had everyone here and in the media destroying him as stupid and not knowing situational football (including most of those now saying he should have went for two).....and c)may have had JJ rethinking his Coach's job security

they havent been very good in short yardage situations so far this season either
  18. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Active Member

873 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    If Garrett had gone for two, and not made it, and the Giants would have won yesterday, garrett would have been the most hated man in dallas this side of oswalt. You have to have some faith in your team winning in ot.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,869 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    We had all the momentum and even won the coin toss.

Going for 2 should've got Garrett fired instantly.
  20. NuttyRex

NuttyRex Member

59 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    What I'm trying to understand is that we were down by 14 with a few minutes left. You need two touchdowns no matter what. Why not go for the 2 point conversion after the first TD? If you miss it, you're down by 8 and have another chance to go for the tie after the second touchdown. And then if you get the 2 point the first time, the PAT wins it. Really dumb coaching IMO. I don't think this team is incapable of going 0/2 in 2 pt conversions.

I still can't get over it.