1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Golfers: True or False - You can hit a Driver if you can hit a 3W

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyDan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I want opinions on this statement in order to help out my nephew. He strokes a 3W straight and long consistently but can't keep from slicing his Driver. I'm under the impression that he needs to put the ball a little further out in his stance.....off his left big toe. But I want your opinions as well.......
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    Just based on my own game. That is where I place the ball in my stance on a driver but not a cure all to stop the slice. For me I have to make sure I don't leave the face open too much. I tend to hit a controlled fade to start with so I will toe the club open a bit but will get in trouble when I have it a bit too open. By the way went out and shot 73 Sat and that was with a double bogey on the card
  3. CowboyDan

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Nice shooting on Saturday! I only touch scores like that on par 3 courses. :D

I understand what you're saying about the face being open, but I'm wondering how he's accomplishing that with a driver and not with a 3W? He hits 3W's straight, but slices Driver like crazy. I'm trying to figure out what is happening in the swing between those 2 clubs.
    My theory is that the longer shaft of the driver isn't getting through to the ball in time, so the face is open at contact. By putting the ball slightly farther out, he will allow the face the time it needs to square up at contact. Thoughts?
  4. Doomsday101

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    I don't know I hit a very nice 3 w and it is easier to control even for the pros which is why you will see them on narrow holes hit 3w instead of driver. I think the biggest problems most have including pros is over swinging trying to get max distance that will cause the problem of leaving the face open on impact.
  5. CowboyDan

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    This is a very good point.
  6. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,048 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Have him try and keep his hands in front of the ball at impact. That usually helps me when a slice is coming on.
  7. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,227 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I have the same issue. I can pound the 3W, but I regularly slice my driver. Every once in a while I get my driver straightened out for a round and it's a glorious thing, but then I go right back to slicing and hate golf all over again.

The thing I have found to help the most for me is taking a stronger grip. I am a right hander, so this means turning my right hand counter clockwise so that instead of my right thumb being on top of the shaft, my right index finger is. Also, I have to fight to remember to lossen my death grip on the driver (don't have this issue with other clubs)
  8. CowboyDan

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I'm thinking about having him go to a driving range and try to hit his driver only 150 yards, but straight. It might slow down his swing and prove to him that it's a product of overswinging.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My wife is the same way. She can hit the 3W straight about 85-90% of the time. I think I've seen her hit a driver straight only once since I've known her.

I tell her just to stop worrying about crushing (or even hitting the ball) and concentrate about her swing / form. Hitting the ball just happens if you have your swing and form down. Most people over-swing with the driver.

Tell him to just swing lightly (and I mean lightly, like 30-40% power) with the driver making sure his form is correct. He will hit the ball straighter. Then slowly swing a little faster while keeping his form correct. Keep doing that until the consistency of the drive starts to falter. Then slow it down and stick with it there until he can master his swing (even if he is only hitting 200-225 yards) and then start allowing more power to the swing again. Only swing as hard as you are can consistently control.
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,910 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Moving the ball further up in his stance will increase the likelihood of him slicing. But it will also increase the likelihood of him getting the ball to start out to the left, then slice back towards the target.

Not sure of your nephew's background, but typically what happens with golfers is that they start out with a slice. Then once they fix the slice, then they start hooking the ball. If I had to guess...your nephew probably has an open clubface and the ball starts out to the right and slices even more.

So I would probably try to fix that open clubface.

But again, I'd have to see the swing to see what he's really doing.

And drivers can be tougher to hit because they longer, lighter and have less loft. For better players, the 3-wood can be more difficult because of the modern titanium design.

YR
  11. CowboyDan

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I gotcha, but what are some likely things that cause the face of the driver to be open at contact, when the face of the 3w isn't?
  12. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In my case, this is a resounding FALSE.

I'm about 80% accurate with my 3 wood and my hybrid...and I've never been accurate with my driver. I haven't been confident enough to pull my driver out during a meaningful round of golf since I played on my high school team....when I played 4-5 rounds a week for free.

My driver is now a dedicated driving range toy....as I only play about 2-3 times a year.

For me, it was primarily due to my aggressive swing and the flex of my driver....I've never owned one (or wanted to invest the money into one) that had a firm enough shaft. I would set it back in my stance and start left...but would usually produce a dramatic slice, or a dead straight left pull....not exactly an ideal tendency to use on the golf course.

I could get my 3 woods and driving iron out past 300-325 anyway, so no big loss.

If he has a very fast swing speed, it could very well be his equipment that is failing him. He should match his shaft flex to his tempo IMO....i can't hurt.
  13. Doomsday101

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    One reminder I always give myself is to be up over the ball at impact not leaning back away from the ball. Of course my hips are rotating but my upper body remains over the ball and centered. What I often see with guys over swinging is their momentum is pushing them away from the ball.

I do make it a habit not to give advice to people I play with unless they ask. My own personal view most weekend golfers just try to overpower the ball and do not keep their body under control and end up well off balance.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    I know for me, hitting one club doesn't mean anything in regards to being able to hit another.

Then again, I'm awful.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Yep.

I still can't refrain at times.
  16. CowboyDan

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I know, but the kid hits everything in his bag well, has a nice athletic swing (though he does get a tad steep on the backswing) and has worked on his grip to where it's getting consistent. I just don't understand what he can be doing when he grabs a driver that puts that kind of slice on it, other than having it too far back in his stance. But as others have said, that may in fact exaggerate his slice, and it is possible that he's just overswinging every time.
    I really think having him try to hit it straight at 150 yard markers at a range may open our eyes to him overswinging.
  17. Doomsday101

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    It can be a hard habit to break. I think the best examples out there are the ladies on the LPGA and how smooth their swings are. Over the years I have picked up more from the ladies in terms of making corrections in my swing than the men
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Tell him to put the driver away and just keep using the 3W. Adding a few yards of distances isn't going to mean much if he slices off of the fairway. Better to practice putting and chipping than putting in more time with the driver.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,910 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Could be something as simple as the want to swing too hard and getting everything out of sequence.

However, I'd be willing to bet that the driver is probably too long for him. Drivers should be the same length as about from the floor to 1" above your belly button.

I'm 6'4" tall. 1 inch above my belly button is 45 inches. Bubba Watson carries a 44.75" driver.

Yet, most drivers off the rack are 46 inches or 46.5" long. And then you get 5'9" tall guys trying to swing these things.

So what happens is that with that driver being so long, they have no waist bend at address. That causes them to turn the shoulders too flat in the backswing and throws off everything on the downswing (path will go too far outside-to-in, face gets open, big slice).

With the 3-wood...i think most of them are at 43 inches long these days. So, the 3-wood isn't too long for him and he can swing it 'better' than that long driver.

3JACK
  20. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,209 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    There are many elements that could causing the slice, but you might try a few tips that I got from a pro a long time ago. They worked for me, so maybe they'd work for your nephew.

Assuming he's he's using right handed clubs, line up the ball with the instep of his left heel. Make sure his weight is not predominately on his left leg. It really should be more balanced. Also, make sure his hands are not ahead of the ball but a bit behind the ball (very important). Basically, you want your body and hands behind the ball because, as it was explained to me, for most golfers, being ahead of the ball is what causes the slice when using the driver.

Of course, club length could be part of the issue which may explain why he can it the 3W well but not the driver.